Star Trek

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Star Trek

Post by JediTricks »

Sparky Prime wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:48 am They're not "out of time"... They're in the 32nd century. Well past all the temporal cold war stuff Enterprise dealt with. Although, I could see these writers deciding to make Burnham "Future Guy", simply pretending to be from an earlier point in the timeline. It'd keep to their mantra that Burnham has to be involved with everything, regardless of if it makes any sense in canon.
That's literally being out of their own time, they're from the 23rd century.

That idea about making Burnham or one of the other STD characters the future guy seems like way more of a KurtzTrek thing than anything I came up with, especially since the producers of Enterprise never decided who the character was going to be. They could just say he was lying about being in the 28th century.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:30 amThat's literally being out of their own time, they're from the 23rd century.
Except what you'd said before was that they were "out of time" not that they were "out of their own time". That's a big difference. Especially in a franchise where characters can literally be outside of time itself. Or otherwise would mean they have no time left.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

A new teaser for season 2 of Picard is up.

It looks interesting... Unfortunately, these creators have shown us time and time again they can take an interesting idea and completely butcher it. It's looking like season 2 is going to be a whole season worth of Q's meddling. Which I have to wonder... will they restore things back to 'normal' at the end of the season, like a typical Q episode, or will they establish a new timeline?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I hope they get it right, because I would enjoy seeing some well-written Picard/Q interaction. I figured they would have Q appear old because Picard is old, since John DeLancie has aged like everyone else. I wonder how they'll explain Guinan looking older if Whoopi Goldberg does appear on the show.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Ethan Phillips talked about this on this week's "Delta Flyers" podcast.

https://trekmovie.com/2021/06/29/ethan- ... IKjWObOwGM
“…we did do a scene where we both acknowledge that we’re not a couple anymore. We shot it in the science lab, which was a set we didn’t use often. And Kes and I had a closure conversation where we said we want to be friends now and blah, blah, blah. And it was, it was quite a nice tag to the relationship. They never aired it…

…it was it was a very good scene. It was easily as six or seven-page scene where we track what happened to us and what we think might have caused the split, but that we want to stay friends…”
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

The Neelix and Kes relationship never really worked. But it was odd how they kinda just gloss over them breaking up in the series. As I recall, they just a few thowaway lines establishing the breakup happened off screen. Interesting that they had actually filmed it.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:32 pm The Neelix and Kes relationship never really worked. But it was odd how they kinda just gloss over them breaking up in the series. As I recall, they just a few thowaway lines establishing the breakup happened off screen. Interesting that they had actually filmed it.
Yeah, she breaks up with him in "Warlord" while she's possessed by an alien, so it's not entirely clear whether she did it of her own free will or not, but then they stay that way when she gets her mind back. Some closure explaining what actually happened would have been nice, and a scene where we got that would have been better than yet another random sickbay scene, which was the usual filler when they needed to pad an episode. Too bad they never used it.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Somebody over on the "Picard" writing staff really likes Voyager. I'd have enjoyed seeing Tom Paris again.

https://trekmovie.com/2021/07/22/robert ... grGUZNjW9c
Star Trek: Voyager’s Jeri Ryan was one of the Trek vets to join Star Trek: Picard in season one and she is back in season two as Seven. Now her Voyager co-star Robert Duncan McNeill is revealing that he almost joined her, telling the Primitive Culture podcast he has been talking to producers of the show about appearing in both seasons:

I did talk to [showurnner] Terry Matalas about Picard season two. And he and I’ve had a few conversations recently, and we kind of reconnected which has been great. And Terry had talked about bringing me over there as a director or as an actor bringing Tom Paris. But it’s really been about schedule. So I’d love to do Picard. I actually loved I loved that first season. And they asked me to do an episode of Picard [in] the first season as an actor to play Tom Paris… I wasn’t available.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Hrm.... In Voyager's finale with the alternate future, Paris had become a holonovel writer and was living a quiet life with B'elanna and their daughter becoming a Starfleet officer. I still see him becoming that holonovel writing family man. Not sure how they'd incorporate that into Picard. Knowing these writers though, they probably would have ignored his entire character arc, taking him back to the delinquent he was at the beginning of Voyager for some stupid reason, if they even were to explain it at all.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:19 am Hrm.... In Voyager's finale with the alternate future, Paris had become a holonovel writer and was living a quiet life with B'elanna and their daughter becoming a Starfleet officer. I still see him becoming that holonovel writing family man. Not sure how they'd incorporate that into Picard. Knowing these writers though, they probably would have ignored his entire character arc, taking him back to the delinquent he was at the beginning of Voyager for some stupid reason, if they even were to explain it at all.
I just finished watching Voyager and that final episode. I just kept thinking that "middle aged" Tom Paris really doesn't look like he actually turned out in real life, but then that's always true when they put these guys in old age makeup. Take a look at "The Deadly Years" from the original series for another example.

The Picard writers gave us Troi and Riker still happily married and generally living a quiet life (though the writers couldn't resist the drama of a dead son), so they might have let Tom stay married and responsible and living a quiet life. I would certainly hope so.