Star Trek

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: Star Trek

Post by andersonh1 »

Riker keeps turning up in season finales to save the day. Jonathan Frakes must be enjoying that.

Nice to see Janeway getting some attention as well. As much grief as I've seen Voyager given by fans over the years, I've grown to really enjoy that show. I have mixed feelings about how Seven of Nine was written for "Picard" but it was good to see the character again. Hopefully Janeway's appearance in Prodigy will treat the character with respect.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Season 3 of Discovery has premiered... I haven't seen it, but some details I've gleaned:
Spoiler
Burnham arrives in the year 3188. She sends the Red Angel suit back to the past in order for it to send a signal to Spock (despite they'd established this was a one way trip? How could the suit still go back? And then what becomes of the suit? It's a painfully obvious they just wanted to remove the suit as a convenience by ignoring the rules they'd established for it last season), letting him know things worked out (even though they killed Control before making the jump, thus making the whole plan to go into the future to escape it utterly pointless)

Around the year 3068, an event known as "The Burn" mysteriously caused most of the dilithium in the galaxy to spontaneously explode, devastating many space faring civilizations and nearly destroying the Federation (I've kinda had the impression from Voyager and Enterprise that the Federation developed new kinds of propulsion by the 29th century that probably don't use dilithium anymore... and having the dilithium throughout the entire galaxy suddenly explode just seems like a really bad plot contrivance to me)

Quantum Slipstream Drive became a standard technology, but it requires benamite crystals, which apparently is even more rare than dilitium in this future.

Personal transporters have also become a standard technology built into comm badges, and require 30 seconds to recharge after use

A lot of the displays and holograms(?) in this era have a "pinpoint toy" effect. Which, I saw some clips on youtube of comparing it to some other franchises. It's a cool looking effect, but honestly I feel like it's a downgrade for Star Trek technology, when solid holograms were a thing in the 24th century.

Following the Temporal Wars in the 29th-31st centuries, time travel technology was banned.

The Gorn destroyed 2 light years of subspace. As far as I can tell, the episode doesn't establish how or why. Some fan speculation I've seen is maybe they didn't develop an environmentally friendly warp drive following the discovery warp travel damages subspace in the 24th century... But given this apparently was a recent development in the 32nd century, I think suggests it was something they may have done intentionally.
Last edited by Sparky Prime on Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

These people can't write their way out of a paper sack, can they? I'm glad I quit watching after season one. Riker showing up on Lower Decks is not going to convince me to watch any more of. That show is so terrible I couldn't even get through two episodes. Like Discovery got me back in long enough to stick with the Mirror Universe episodes. But Lower Decks is so bad that even if they dipped into that well, I still wouldn't watch it.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

If they brought back the original writers and producers to run it, rather than the current guys running Trek, I might be interested in this. I'm not sure they can recapture the old magic though. DS9 is my favorite modern Trek, and I'd want to see a revival done right or not at all.

CBS Reportedly Considering Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Revival

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/cbs-rep ... hdj5y8i7ng
Last weekend, We Got This Covered reported that the network is thinking about doing something with Avery Brooks as Benjamin Sisko, the chief of the space station throughout DS9‘s seven seasons (1993-99). Now, Geekosity’s Mikey Sutton is reporting that his own intel says much the same thing. According to the insider, CBS is considering reviving DS9 in some form for Paramount+, the rebranded and expanded CBS All Access that’s launching in 2021.

Sutton teases that other Deep Space Nine stars could return alongside him, too. He can’t say which ones as yet, but this news only doubles our chances of seeing Michael Dorn as Worf again, given that he would fit in with both this project and Picard.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Having seen the animated abortion that is Lower Decks, I agree, I don't trust them to do anything right. Discovery is terrible, Lower Decks is one of the worst shows ever (not even just Star Trek, but in general) and Picard was just ok.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

While I'd love a DS9 revival... Only if they bring back people like Ira Steven Behr, Robert Hewitt Wolfe, Ronald D. Moore, Bradley Thompson, David Weddle, Hans Beimler and René Echevarria to write for it. Alex Kurtzman and his team have shown time and time again they just don't get Star Trek, and frankly, are not very good writers given how contrived and full of plot holes their stories are (not to mention, a general lack of respect for the established canon).
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Just finished watching Enterprise this week and I like the show way better than I did originally. I think I stopped watching it because they had an episode with the Borg and I was irritated that TNG era villains kept showing up 200 years before they were supposed to. Fortunately, they didn't keep doing that and the show was that much better for it. The final episode was a nice send off, but it could have done without the TNG part.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Some details from episode 2 of Discovery's 3rd season....
Spoiler
Discovery's crew gets knocked out by the tidal forces in the wormhole (even though Burnham didn't when she went through). They wake up just in time to crash land on a planet... which has an entire hemisphere of the planet broken up, the pieces floating all about the planet, from near the surface (sorta like Pandora from the Avatar film) all the way to high orbit and I gather they don't explain what's causing this phenomena.. It's just strange to me to see a planet like this in Star Trek, especially with no explanation. It's just there for the visual effect, where as Star Trek of old would have not only explained it somehow, but found a way to use the phenomena to their advantage somehow.

Despite barreling straight through giant rocks as big as the ship itself and having rough crash on a glacier... Discovery will only need 6 hours to make repairs, and some rubindium from a nearby settlement to fix the communication systems. How was Discovery built? With "die-cast construction" ;) , or something? No other Starfleet ship we've seen crash like that went back up again.

Only 88 crewmembers of 136 remain (not sure if that many were killed in the crash, or if some of them stayed on the Enterprise)

As Discovery struggles to take off, they get some help from Burnham (how did she find them?) as she puts a tractor beam on them, and explains she's been waiting for them for a year. I mean, sure, they entered the wormhole a few moments after Burnham had, but... why the discrepancy? Shouldn't the wormhole have gone to the same destination in time and space?

I also saw a preview clip for the next episode where Burnham explains dilithium supplies began to dry up (what about dilithium re-crystalization technology, which we know they've had since the 23rd century, and this show even talks about?). As a result, the Federation tried alternate methods of warp drive designs, but abandoned them as unreliable (say what? We've seen other reliable methods of warp travel in Star Trek. The Romulans use an artificial quantum singularity, or the Xindi use a subspace vortex for examples. And they've even established quantum slipstream drive was perfected by the Federation at this point). Then all the dilithium went inert, causing every active warp core to explode. (So... how is it that any of the dilithium that didn't explode is still good to use if it all went inert?)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Tidbits from episode 3...

Spoiler
Even though they weren't ever going to use the Spore Drive again... Discovery uses it to return to Earth. Earth is pretty far away from wherever Discovery ended up in the galaxy, but I haven't seen anything establishing where exactly they were in relation to Earth...

Burnham fills the crew in on The Burn, and Stamets says nothing could have affected all dilithium across space at the same time. Burnham goes on to say she found a transmission from 12 years ago asking any remaining Starfleet personnel to meet an Admiral on Earth.

Turns out the Admiral was killed on a departing ship, no destination planet was recorded (anti-climatic). Earth has become self-sufficient (meaning introverted and cynical, to the point they even ignore other humans living elsewhere within their own solar system) following "The Burn" to defend themselves from Raiders looking for dilithium. When Discovery arrives, a planetary shield goes up and the "United Earth Defense Force" confronts them telling them to leave, until they explain a cover story about being the descendances of the crew following an extended mission (how anyone would buy this when Discovery is clearly a 23rd century ship... I don't know).

Apparently the Federation and Starfleet headquarters left Earth following The Burn a century ago. No one knows where they went. (That's really dumb.) Because most of the ships destroyed in the Burn were Federation and it's unknown if it was an attack or if it'd happen again, it was felt Earth would be a potential target. As such, Earth is no longer part of the Federation. (This is just really, really dumb. I mean, I can kinda understand Earth becoming more self sufficient with warp drive becoming scarce, but why would Earth leave the Federation when there wouldn't be a Federation without Earth? And why would Starfleet headquarters leave the planet? Earth has been a potential target PLENTY of times throughout the history of Star Trek because it's the capital of the Federation/Starfleet. It was even attacked during the Dominion War by the Breen! We didn't see them talking about isolating the planet and moving Headquarters then. The idea Earth would leave the Federation, and Starfleet Headquarters moving somewhere unknown just because they don't know if something was an attack in the first place, or if it'll happen again, is ludicrous. Honestly, I feel this goes against everything Star Trek stands for with Gene Roddenberry's vision for the future of humanity with what they've done to Earth.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm so glad I'm not wasting my time with this show. :x