Star Trek

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Re: Star Trek

Post by Almighty Unicron »

My girlfriend is a bit of a trekker. To date the only star trek show I've watched a significant amount of is Enterprise.

I like to piss her off by forcing her to call my penis "Captain Archer."
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Unhidden possible spoilers ahead....

Sparky Prime wrote:Trekcore.com (potential Spoiler Warning!) has posted an image of a poster, which a lucky fan was able to win during a fundraiser, which shows a Federation Starship that will appear in the new film. Sharp eyed fans had noticed the name of this ship is seen on a jacket Spock wears in the trailer.
Spoiler
Reminds me a bit of the NX-Class. I hate the viewscreen window on it though. It looks completely disproportionate to the rest of the ship. But then scale is something the nuTrek films have struggled with.
That's an eyesore. The window is confusing, the bridge should be above that thing, but if that were the case it'd be a well-lit, forward-facing shuttlebay, and that's unlikely. The odd pattern seems like something you'd see in a video game, not Trek. The complete and utter lack of any engineering section segmented away from the ship is bizarre, it looks like they're actively trying not to have one, but I suspect there's a small secondary hull underneath that the nacelles are leading to that will make it more Enterprise-shaped, albeit dinky like the Equinox. The cut-away in the back of the saucer is downright nonsense, does this ship not have impulse power? And why the NX-01-style engines after doing something more modern in the previous films? Not a lot of visual continuity.
andersonh1 wrote:So, any of you who indulge in chronological Trek marathons... do you watch every episode of a Trek series, or do you skip the ones you don't like? How do you decide? We're going through Voyager right now, and we've reached the infamous "Threshold". I decided to watch it, because... I don't know. It didn't bother me as much as I remembered. Back when Voyager was on the air, and I remember this clearly, it was the episode that started making me question why I was watching the show. And the sad thing is that it starts out with in interesting premise: breaking the Warp 10 barrier, a seeming impossibility. Then Tom Paris turns into a giant space newt, and so does Janeway, and they have mutant babies, and the whole thing just goes so far off the rails it's amazing to watch. And somehow the physical transformation is reversed so they look exactly like they did before.... one gets the feeling that Braga had a good idea for the episode with the Warp test, had nowhere to go and a deadline, and just wrote the first things that came into his head. Possibly after a night of heavy drinking.

At least he's admitted it was a bad episode. His confession is in the DVD extras for all to see.
All of 'em, following the lesson of Tapestry where every mistake is part of what was, and what was forms what is; although I don't do chronological runs anymore at all now, curating non-chronological draws from every series week after week (this week it's Valentine's Day, and that means Mudd's Passion TAS :D ).

As for Threshold, we recently watched it as part of our Best of the Worst run (it barely lost to TNG - Shades of Gray) and while it's incredibly stupid silly nonsense from just the worst script, I don't think it's particularly worse in other ways than other Voyager episodes, the acting, directing, and production are on par with the rest of the series. The warp ceiling is an utterly incorrect interpretation of some things, making it so silly that they'd bother to pretend it's "everywhere at once" when the future 1701-D goes Warp 14, and they already changed the warp scale between TOS and TNG.

Honestly, after a lot of Thursdays where we're seeing TOS, TNG, and DS9 put up against VOY and ENT, it's become apparent that Brannon Braga is as much to blame as Rick Berman, turning his show into a by-the-numbers interpretation of the lesser elements of TNG: technobabble solutions, overly familiar characters who have already found their groove, and flat space exploration stories alternating with over the top action to create a sense of shallow blandness. Then again, the bloom is off the rose for DS9 too, it's not holding up as well as I had expected.

Shockwave wrote:For me the worst Voyager episode was "elogium". The one where Kes... goes into heat (for lack of a better term). She basically begins her mating cycle... which is just so batshit crazy that you have to wonder how the species didn't die out after two generations and gets even more batshit crazy as the episode goes on. It's one of the things that makes her what I call a "kitchen sink" character. Where they dump every weird thing including the kitchen sink into her. It's also one of the main reasons why I was glad to see her go. It's like they really didn't know what to do with her character. And her return later was just as batshit as she was the rest of the time.
Wow, that one never was on my radar for "worst", I'll have to include it in this year's Best of the Worst list.

Voyager's characters are almost all uniformly blank slates, there's so little character development and growth, it's frustrating, everybody kind of fits that "kitchen sink" thing. The only characters that have arcs are the Doctor and 7 o'Nine.

Almighty Unicron wrote:My girlfriend is a bit of a trekker. To date the only star trek show I've watched a significant amount of is Enterprise.

I like to piss her off by forcing her to call my penis "Captain Archer."
Oh, so it's also limp and useless most of the time?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:but I suspect there's a small secondary hull underneath that the nacelles are leading to that will make it more Enterprise-shaped, albeit dinky like the Equinox.
I'm not so sure it has a secondary hull. The link also has a screen shot from the trailer showing a schematic behind Scotty. It's not exactly the clearest image, but like the NX-01 design, it looks to me like it only has a saucer section, with the warp nacelle pylons connecting to the underside.
The cut-away in the back of the saucer is downright nonsense, does this ship not have impulse power? And why the NX-01-style engines after doing something more modern in the previous films? Not a lot of visual continuity.
Yeah, I'm wondering where the impulse engines are as well. And the deflector dish for that matter (although this wouldn't be the first ship not to have a visible dish). The nacelles and the set designs would indicate it is meant to be a significantly older starship.
The warp ceiling is an utterly incorrect interpretation of some things, making it so silly that they'd bother to pretend it's "everywhere at once" when the future 1701-D goes Warp 14, and they already changed the warp scale between TOS and TNG.
I always took that as they'd simply re-calibrated the warp scale again by that point in the future. I mean, there's no reason why they couldn't have.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I'm not so sure it has a secondary hull. The link also has a screen shot from the trailer showing a schematic behind Scotty. It's not exactly the clearest image, but like the NX-01 design, it looks to me like it only has a saucer section, with the warp nacelle pylons connecting to the underside.
My only reason to think it has a secondary hull is the termination lines on the nacelle pylons seem to end under the rear portion of the saucer rather than in it.

That said, that schematic is blurry, and the TOS movie Enterprise had separate diagrams for each hull, so that doesn't suggest much to me.
Yeah, I'm wondering where the impulse engines are as well. And the deflector dish for that matter (although this wouldn't be the first ship not to have a visible dish). The nacelles and the set designs would indicate it is meant to be a significantly older starship.
Yeah, I realized only too late after I posted that it could be an older ship. the absence of a navigational deflector is pretty lame though, it feels like they're taking the last bits of science out of the science fiction. The more I look at the Franklin, the more I hate it.
I always took that as they'd simply re-calibrated the warp scale again by that point in the future. I mean, there's no reason why they couldn't have.
The point of saying they were going Warp 14 was to suggest a speed breakthrough, not to suggest they were flying TNG-warp-9 with a new number, that'd be needlessly convoluted within the same series. That plus transwarp speed, the speed The Traveler accelerated the Ent-D to, those suggest that warp 10 was never meant to act as the speed of light ceiling we have here today. The limit the writers had at that point was just the aging Roddenberry changing his mind about the warp scale as he tried to micromanage everything on TNG.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:My only reason to think it has a secondary hull is the termination lines on the nacelle pylons seem to end under the rear portion of the saucer rather than in it.
Remember this is nuTrek and they have some... different ideas when it comes to Star Trek starship design.
That said, that schematic is blurry, and the TOS movie Enterprise had separate diagrams for each hull, so that doesn't suggest much to me.
I did say it wasn't the clearest image. But still, you can clearly make out the saucer and nacelle, but there is no sign of an engineering hull. And if it was like the TOS diagrams showing separate diagrams for each hull (which none of the nuTrek diagrams have ever done I'd point out), the nacelle wouldn't be shown along with the saucer.
The point of saying they were going Warp 14 was to suggest a speed breakthrough, not to suggest they were flying TNG-warp-9 with a new number, that'd be needlessly convoluted within the same series. That plus transwarp speed, the speed The Traveler accelerated the Ent-D to, those suggest that warp 10 was never meant to act as the speed of light ceiling we have here today. The limit the writers had at that point was just the aging Roddenberry changing his mind about the warp scale as he tried to micromanage everything on TNG.
Interviews and commentary I've seen from the writers of the episode always said they wanted to show a natural advancement of technology (Geordi no longer wearing his VISOR as another example) for the future timeline and thus also suggested the warp scale had been revised again in that timeline to reflect the improved warp drive capabilities (rather than calling it something like warp 9.99999999999999999999999999999). They weren't trying to suggest a 'speed breakthrough' at all. I mean, it's a pretty big jump to go from Warp 9.975 being capable of traveling 132 light years in a months time, to warp 10 being 'everywhere'. Roddenberry insisting that Warp 10 be the absolute top of the warp chart did create some issues, but I don't see how revising it again would be convoluted. As new technologies are developed, things get revised to adapt. It happens all the time.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Sparky Prime wrote:
JediTricks wrote:My only reason to think it has a secondary hull is the termination lines on the nacelle pylons seem to end under the rear portion of the saucer rather than in it.
Remember this is nuTrek and they have some... different ideas when it comes to Star Trek starship design.
Sure, but they still have to go SOMEWHERE, there aren't just nacelle pylons that terminate randomly 3 decks into open space below the saucer. Or maybe there are because New Coke Trek is the fucking worst.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:Sure, but they still have to go SOMEWHERE, there aren't just nacelle pylons that terminate randomly 3 decks into open space below the saucer. Or maybe there are because New Coke Trek is the fucking worst.
Like I said before, it looks to me like the pylons simply connect to the underside of the saucer.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

The Second Trailer for Star Trek Beyond has finally been released by Paramount.

Also revealed earlier this week from CBS was a small teaser for the new Star Trek Series.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

That teaser for the new tv series doesn't say a lot, but if the rumor that it's set in the original universe after Star Trek 6 is true, that would suit me better than the new Trek continuity of the movies. That trailer for Beyond does work better than the last one, I'll admit.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:That teaser for the new tv series doesn't say a lot, but if the rumor that it's set in the original universe after Star Trek 6 is true, that would suit me better than the new Trek continuity of the movies.
I've heard rumors it might be an anthology series, taking place over different eras of the original Star Trek universe, possibly even in both universes.
That trailer for Beyond does work better than the last one, I'll admit.
Yeah, I like this trailer a lot more than the first trailer.