Intro and welcome thread

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Re: Intro and welcome thread

Post by 138 Scourge »

There. All fixed, now Dom and I don't have to go back behind the woodshed for losing your email. It's referenced earlier in the thread.

Good havin' ya back, tt. Highfive!
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

transtrekkie wrote:Ok, I may be guilty of zombie threading here, but Scourge just sent me the link today (or yesterday technically). In all fairness I've pretty much been off of the net since bwtf went down.

So Dom and JT, you guys put this together? You guys rock! I really have missed bwtf and all you guys and it's great be here!
This is a thread that should be zombified! Welcome to our corner of the universe TT! Good thing you were offline since BWTF was, or Scourge would be in trouble for not linking you here earlier. ;)

I bought the URL while o86 and I were talking about making a slightly different kind of TF site, I had the space for my other personal sites, and we were doing these massive email conversations during the BWTF downtime, these emails got ridiculously confusing so I stopped talking about "someone should do it" and just threw together this place. With Dom and o86 helping moderate, and good advice from the whole gang, we have become what you see here now.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote:
transtrekkie wrote:Ok, I may be guilty of zombie threading here, but Scourge just sent me the link today (or yesterday technically). In all fairness I've pretty much been off of the net since bwtf went down.

So Dom and JT, you guys put this together? You guys rock! I really have missed bwtf and all you guys and it's great be here!
This is a thread that should be zombified! Welcome to our corner of the universe TT! Good thing you were offline since BWTF was, or Scourge would be in trouble for not linking you here earlier. ;)

I bought the URL while o86 and I were talking about making a slightly different kind of TF site, I had the space for my other personal sites, and we were doing these massive email conversations during the BWTF downtime, these emails got ridiculously confusing so I stopped talking about "someone should do it" and just threw together this place. With Dom and o86 helping moderate, and good advice from the whole gang, we have become what you see here now.
LOL... thank you, it's good to be welcomed back into the fold :D I have been posting on TFW for about the last month or so (after Botcon) and that's how Scourge found me.

Well I'm glad you did put this together it looks perfect, almost a mirror of the old bwtf boards. Speaking of which, has anyone gone back and posted there since it came back up? Also, if anyone wants better contact info, just PM me and I'll happily provide it ;)
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

transtrekkie wrote: Speaking of which, has anyone gone back and posted there since it came back up? Also, if anyone wants better contact info, just PM me and I'll happily provide it ;)
I dunno, I registered, but then figured since JT put all the effort into this one, and it seemed like this is where the whole gang was anyway...
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

138 Scourge wrote:There. All fixed, now Dom and I don't have to go back behind the woodshed for losing your email. It's referenced earlier in the thread.

Good havin' ya back, tt. Highfive!
I saw that and felt honored, I didn't think I had really posted that much to get noticed that prominently. I'm glad to be considered part of the group :D

Good to be back, Highfive! (didn't wanna leave ya hangin).
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

138 Scourge wrote:
transtrekkie wrote: Speaking of which, has anyone gone back and posted there since it came back up? Also, if anyone wants better contact info, just PM me and I'll happily provide it ;)
I dunno, I registered, but then figured since JT put all the effort into this one, and it seemed like this is where the whole gang was anyway...
I really, really don't like the board interface Ben is using, and also, there's next to no activity there. (Compare to this place, which had a boatload of topics even upon our first opening.)

I like Ben and his site and everything he did for us back in the day, but in the end, I'm glad we have this place now, because it's *ours* and we don't have to answer to anybody but ourselves.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Yeah, the interface is horrible. I tried posting the name game and it got all screwed up after just 5 posts. Besides, I signed up there looking for you guys anyway and TADA!! Here you all are!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Ben is a hell of a guy.

The problem is that his forums were down for so long that people naturally drifted away. As proud as I am of this place, (and when even compainiacs like O6 toss out compliments, that means something), I have no doubt that if Yee had his forums up about before this one started, and avoided the operational problem that plagued it early on (dunno if they are still problems now), we would all be there.

JT did not set out to be an admin at a TF page. 86 and I did not set out to be moderators. But, there was demand for a forum, and this place filled that demand.

The less traffic and activity a board has, the harder it is for it to gain more. More posts and comments provide more occasion for people to post and comment. Fewer posts and comments provide less incentive. Even a lurker has more incentive to check an active page than a slow moving one. Somebody could check here once a day and usually find new content. Yee's boards can go upwards of a week without a new post though, as there are fewer members to post and reply and provoke more posts and replies.

Dom
-wishes his blog saw the kind of activity this board sees.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Yeah, his forums nowadays still don't have much traffic. The last post on there was from a couple of weeks ago.

I seem to recall a thread on the old bwtf boards where we were all agreeing that 86 should be a mod. Looks like he finally got the job in spite of not asking for it. Not that there's really much to mod around here as we really seem to be the one microcosm of online posting where everyone has different viewpoints but is actually nice to each other. I have heard horror stories of epic level retardation on other boards.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

86 was a mod over at BWTf for about a year or so before it went down. (Remember, he is the one who put together the contact list we had. He lost the page mid-way through the attempt.)

The worst we have to deal with is spam-bots, which seem to come in waves.

As far as content moderation goes, the other extreme is boards that are too unified. I have seen boards where unorthodox posts simply disappear.

Bottom line, being a mod here is a sweet racket.

Dom
-thinking of a name change as well.