Fall 2023 Hauls

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Fall 2023 Hauls

Post by andersonh1 »

Spring is almost here, so how about a new hauls thread? The Greenwood Wal-Mart had a nice selection of Transformers from various lines, and a number of them appealed to me, though given how much these things cost now, one was all I walked away with. Picked up Studio Series 86 Perceptor, since these cartoon accurate figures really do hit all the right collecting spots for me. Coming in close seconds were Skids, Drag Strip, and if I'd felt like spending $55, coronation Starscream and Dinobot Sludge. Nice to see the Dinobots at such a large size.
andersonh1

Re: Spring 2023 Hauls

Post by andersonh1 »

I go months without buying a Transformer, and end up buying two in the same weekend. Found the Wal-Mart reissue of G1 Starscream with movie branding and colors, so of course I find it hard to resist a G1 reissue. The new "plastic free packaging" is annoying though, since you can't see the figure and have to trust that the photos are accurate, which isn't always the case. Nice art on the front of the box though.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Been a while since I was on here and I've got some stuff!
Legacy Galvatron (purple): I found this at a toy store for $30, so I figured I'd get it so I could leave my GS version in bot mode and not have to worry about the stickers anymore. And I'm glad I did. I don't regret getting either figure.

Beast Wars Transmetal Optimus Primal: Yeah, the original from 1990something. From the same toy store, and it's in brand new shape, and it was only $20!! So now I have a version of all three modes we see in the cartoon: Kingdom Primal, Transmetal Primal and POTP Primal. They all look great together.

Core class figures:
Studio Series Laserbeak: Pink repaint of Bumblebee. It sucks, the arms fall off if you look at them funny.
Core Class Slag: It's pretty decent. There were some concessions made for the combined mode, but it works pretty good and does what it needs to at that scale.
Core Class Sludge: Oh boy, this one is rough. They totally screwed up the legs on this and they didn't have to. Looks pretty good in dino mode, but too much was sacrificed to the robot mode in service of the combined mode. Dear Hasbro: Stop making the Dinobots comine! They don't need it! Robot dinosaurs are cool enough without it!
Studio Series Arcee: A pretty good Arcee figure. Looks decent next to Core class Hot Rod.
Core Class Thundercracker: If you have the other two, you know how this is. Now available in blue. Seriously though, it's nice to get a consistent set of the original three seekers not be exclusive to somewhere.

Legacy Jhiaxus, Elita-1, Inferno, Leo Prime. Elita-1 is the only one that is a bit of a let down. Shell forming and something we ABSOLUTELY DID NOT NEED: Faux visible head sindrome!! Yeah, that part that we THOUGHT was the head sticking out of the top of alt mode? No, it's a separate piece that pegs on top of the alt mode! It does not need to look like that! Ugh. The others are all pretty decent though.

Origins Jazz: The sock looking thing. Not bad. They just need to do Wheeljack and Lazerbeak and we'll have toys of everyone from the first episode of the cartoon seen in their alt modes.

Commemorative series Hot Rod: It's G1 Hot Rod.

Legacy Windsweeper: Figure is good, wish the Targetmasters were better. Especially since every targetmaster for the last ten years has been way better. Probably longer than that if you want to include weapon mode Minicons from the UT. Which I do.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Shockwave wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:37 pm Dear Hasbro: Stop making the Dinobots comine! They don't need it! Robot dinosaurs are cool enough without it!
THIS RIGHT HERE
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Legacy Core class Nemesis Prime. It's evil Optimus Prime with an axe instead of a gun. Could have used more green for the details/edges, but otherwise, pretty decent.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Got a 250.00 Amazon gift card from work and decided to get some of the '86 movie characters. I already had both versions of Kingdom Galvatron and wanted to round out some of the rest of the cast. So I got Commander class Rodimus Prime, Kingdom Ultra Magnus, Cyclonus, and Studio Series Scourge. Also went to a retro toy store and got Studio Series Kup and Blurr for $30 total. I'd already has Cyclonus and Scourge and Blurr, and Siege Ultra Magnus, but the rest were new to me and I like them. They all look good in their various modes and are mostly fun to transform.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Legacy Twincast with Rewind and Legacy Shrapnel.

Twincast: I missed out on Blaster while he was available (the money just wasn't there when I found him and is probably too expensive now) so I decided to get this and I'm glad I did. It's got a fun interesting transformation the tape deck door works better than other cassette player TFs so far, at least in my experience. Recommended if you like the character or don't have Blaster.

Shrapnel: I had to bite the bullet and go through ebay for this one. I have Kickback and there's no way I was going to miss out on this. He's pretty decent, nothing particularly groundbreaking, but is a decent update to the original figure. And a nice compliment piece to Kickback. Looking forward to Bombshell.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Legacy Dirge, Tow Line and the Amazon two packs (Miner Megatron and Ratbat and Shockwave and Orion Pax).
Shockwave and Orion Pax: I'm pretty happy with Shockwave. It's a good rendition of the pre-Decepticon character from the comic and the use of the siege seeker mold works with the retooling. Orion Pax... I think the Hound mold needs to be retired. I like the look of this figure, but my copy does not peg/stick together well. The place where the arms are supposed to tab to the chest don't hold them in place very well and transforming the legs will always cause the part with the foot to pop off every time. Other than that, I think it was a good choice for this version of the character, but the QC issues really need work on this mold. Might just be my copy, I don't still have siege Hound to compare it to.

Megatron and Ratbat: I love the SS86 Scourge mold and this is a great use of it. The new head sculpt and coloring really nail the look of the character from the comic. There's even pain detail to resemble Ratbat's... necklace? The thing he wore on his chest. It's a great detail and provides some nice contrast to the dark of the rest of the figure. Megatron. It's seige Megatron in different colors. I think the new head sculpt works better on this figure than the original and it looks great. My only complaints with this figure are that the feet/heel spurs are awkward. At least the right one on mine doesn't lock very well so he winds up looking lopsided. I also think the drill part could have been better engineered to replace the fusion cannon. The only way to get it to fit is to remove the large gray piece and just use the handle of the pickaxe and the drill. It makes the middle portion of the turret look hollow or not as solid as it should. A little refinement would have fixed that. Other than that, I do like having pre-Decepticon Megatron in my collection.

Dirge: Yep, it's Earthrise Dirge. If you have or have had any of the Earthrise seekers, you know what to expect. I honestly don't know why I bought this. I don't regret it, it's not a bad figure or toy or anything, it's just that I don't have any of the other Earthrise seekers and I don't intend on getting them any time soon. So now I just have this one seeker and he's just kinda.... there? I dunno. I definitely think it was a stress purchase.

Tow Line: I'm all down for any remakes/updates for any of the Rid cast. And I'm pretty sure we're going to get Side Burn. Shadow Striker just looks too much like Side Burn for Hasbro to resist doing that mold as that character. Anyway, Tow Line is pretty cool. I haven't got many of the Junkions, so it's fun to play around with the parts forming aspect a bit and I think this mold works.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dunno if I ever mentioned Crosscut, but I picked that up at one point. Also, Earthrise Alicon, Titans return Scouge and Titaniums Scourge. So there's a local toy shop that I go to, and they had the Allicon. I had donated my Titans Return figures there, the ones that didn't sell on ebay. One of them was Scourge. But since I have a shelf to 86 Movie Decepticons, I'm trying to fill it out a bit, so I have different Scourges filling in for the Sweeps. I was able to get TR back and then paid for the Titaniums one. Oh and I added Siege Springer to the Autobot shelf.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:19 pm Dunno if I ever mentioned Crosscut, but I picked that up at one point. Also, Earthrise Alicon, Titans return Scouge and Titaniums Scourge. So there's a local toy shop that I go to, and they had the Allicon. I had donated my Titans Return figures there, the ones that didn't sell on ebay. One of them was Scourge. But since I have a shelf to 86 Movie Decepticons, I'm trying to fill it out a bit, so I have different Scourges filling in for the Sweeps. I was able to get TR back and then paid for the Titaniums one. Oh and I added Siege Springer to the Autobot shelf.
Nice. I did that with a trade paperback once, traded it in to the local used bookstore. I later regretted it and when I saw it still on the shelf, bought it back. Cost me more than I got for it when I traded it in, but I wanted it back.