Star Trek

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Star Trek

Post by Sparky Prime »

Strange New Worlds - series premier
Spoiler
The USS Archer makes first contact with a new world that has suddenly developed warp technology, but Starfleet looses contact with them. Enterprise is undergoing scheduled maintenance and is supposed to still be a few weeks away from being complete, but Admiral Robert April (the first Captain of the Enterprise, prior to Pike. He appeared in the Animated series as a Commodore but it seems they're completely ignoring that version of the character) decides to have them launch early to investigate what happened to the Archer. Pike is uncertain about being in command. Having witnessed his "death" (the accident that leaves him scared and disabled), he's second guessing everything but because Una Chin-Riley (Number One) was in command of the Archer, Pike has all the motivation he needs. Meanwhile, Spock becomes engaged to T’Pring on Vulcan, and while she tries to convince him to stay on Vulcan, his duty to Starfleet forces him to leave her.

On route to at the planet Archer was making first contact with, Spock briefs Pike and Lt. La’an Noonien-Singh about the planet, noting that the planet is not ready for warp drive technology. Developmentally, they are about at 21st century Earth's level. He also points out the oddity if they are developing it as a weapon, comparing it to nuclear technology. Apparently every race develops the nuclear bomb before developing reactors, where as warp technology is always developed as a drive rather than as weapons. They debate if General Order 1 applies or not, since it would seem they may have been given Warp technology. Arriving, they find the Archer abandoned in orbit, and note the warp signature coming from the planet seems odd. Apparently the Archer only had three crew members (even though a starship in this era shouldn't be able to operate with only 3 crew members) that must have all beamed down to the planet. The Enterprise is attacked by plasma torpedoes, which are harmless against their shields. Pike notes these weapons are 21st century level technology (despite the Romulans used this type of torpedo in the 23rd and 24th centuries). What ever happened to First Contact being a long process of careful observation and study up until the species achieves warp flight? The Enterprise crew are completely confused by this planet's technological development, when they really shouldn't be if First Contact's guidelines were being met. Needing to investigate, Pike, Spock and Noonien-Singh (it feels so odd typing this name with out it being Khan) go to sick-bay where Nurse Chapel gives them an experimental gene treatment to alter their appearances in order to blend in with the natives. Although she's concerned about Spock's unique genetics, warning him it'll probably wear off quickly for him. After beaming down, they quickly locate the building the mission Starfleet officers are in, but they are deep underground, so they'll need them closer to the surface to get a transporter lock.

After some difficulties, the three are able to break out Una and her two crewmates. She explains to Pike that this planet is less than a lightyear from where Discovery jumped to the future and the battle with Control took place. This planet, was able to see everything with their telescopes and developed warp technology as a direct.... This is dumb. Even if they could see the space battle from this planet, how would they be able to figure out the ships were powered by a matter/antimatter reaction? They wouldn't have seen a warp core or any of the internal workings of the ships to have been able to figure anything out about how they work. At any rate, Pike decides to ignore General Order 1 and everyone except Spock (having his disguise wear off completely at this point) and himself beam up to the Enterprise. They're taken to this country's president where he warns her not to use warp technology as a weapon. She explains her position with their neighbor country as whoever has the bigger stick wins. Pike decides to show them he has the bigger stick by having the Enterprise drop down to hover above the city. The two leaders get together to discuss the arrival of the aliens, and Pike beams down again, showing them some of Earth's history. He explains that second Civil War developed into the Eugenics Wars which then became World War III (as I mentioned with the Picard finale, looks like these writers are retconning the Eugenics Wars to take place after 2024, and here they reveal it developed directly into World War III. But not only that, apparently the United States had a second Civil War that kicked all of these wars off? That's never been mentioned before...). He explains that after Earth nearly wiped itself out, they learned to work together. And so he asks them if they really want to wipe themselves out, or if they want to join the Federation.

Back at a starbase, Admiral April is not happy with how Pike handled the situation by completely ignoring General Order 1. However, because this world developed warp technology based on an event that has been classified, it has created a loophole. They can't acknowledge how this planet developed warp technology because it would mean exposing Discovery's time jump as well, so the whole thing is conveniently going to be ignored. They're also renaming General Order 1 to the Prime Directive, which Pike says wont catch on. I guess this is to explain why it was somewhat inconsistently named in TOS. As an aside, during a discussion with Lt. Noonien-Singh about surviving a Gorn hatchery planet, Pike asks if she knows the story of why this starbase has a forest, and explains Earth had sent seeds into space so that they could rebuild the ecosystem, only when Earth was ready to rebuild, the forest was too large to bring down to Earth... Why did they grow the seeds into a whole forest in the first place? Or at least regulate their growth? Anyway, Enterprise finishes its crew rotation (adding a chief engineer and Sam Kirk, James T. Kirk's brother) and maintenance. With this mission reinvigorating Pike, he's fully ready to return to duty as the Enterprise heads out o continue its mission of exploration.
I really liked the opening sequence. It reminded me of elements of TOS and Voyager's opening sequence. Other than a few lapses in the story, this was a pretty good premier. Actually one of the best Star Trek episodes these creators have managed to do thus far. Not a fan of Pike knowing his eventual fate. They do play up that he's obviously troubled by it, but he says he's second guessing himself and it's like... Why? He knows it'll happen roughly a decade away from now, so shouldn't he feel invisible until then? I'm cautiously optimistic about this series, but these creators do not have a great track record on Star Trek, so I'm not sure if it'll hold up....
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Strange New Worlds season 1 episode 2
Spoiler
Pike is throwing dinner party in his cabin and has invited a number of new crewmembers to get to know them a bit better. It's supposed to be a casual thing, but Uhura was told by Ortegas she should wear her dress uniform, as a bit of hazing. At the party, Uhura mentions she's not sure Starfleet is for her. Her parents and brother died in a tragic shuttle accident, and she couldn't stand to be at the school they taught at anymore, so she ran off to join Starfleet. Why does EVERY character have a tragic backstory in modern Trek? On the way back to her quarters, she asks Spock if she was too honest, which Spock says he and the captain values, but if she doesn't feel she belongs in Starfleet, maybe she should make room from someone who does.

The Enterprise is studying a comet and have projected that it'll impact an M-class planet with a pre-warp civilization. The crew suggests attaching ion engines to change the course of the comet. I can't help but think of TNG episode "Pen Pals", where the crew debated over saving a pre-warp civilization from a natural disaster. But here, there isn't even any question. They just immediately jump to helping save this world. Anyway, an object inside the comet raises shields, preventing the ion engines from attaching. Enterprise sends an away team to investigate. Sam Kirk is injured (they immediately take off his helmet, despite not establishing this chamber has air, and apparently tricorders have a built-in defibrillator) when he touches a large egg shaped object in the center of the chamber and the object raises shields, preventing Enterprise from beaming them back. To make matters worst, an alien ship surprise attacks Enterprise because they consider the comet to be holy. Why didn't Enterprise detect their approach? Pike attempts to explain they're trying to save both the comet and the nearby planet, but the aliens claim whatever happens to the comet is pre-ordained and warn Enterprise not to take any further action.

Uhura and Spock figure out that the chamber responds to music, and eventually figures out how to bring down the shields, allowing Enterprise to beam them back. Still wanting to save the planet however, they come up with a plan... Provoking the aliens as a distraction, they drop Spock off in a shuttle who heats up the shields to melt part of the comet. Enterprise then surrenders to the aliens, asking for help and promising not to touch the comet, which the aliens agree to. Spock's efforts successfully alters the comet's course, and causes a large amount of water vapor to be deposited in the planet's atmosphere, which they say will make the planet less arid and promote plant growth and societal development... I have to question the science behind this. For all they know, life on this planet is adapted to having less water and more water would lead to an environmental disaster. Later, after further analysis of the music from the structure inside the comet, Uhura believes it somehow had foreknowledge of these events, as they uncover the course of the comet through the solar system (which shows it missing the M-class planet) and the ice chuck that broke off of it, identical to the piece that broke off when Spock corrected its course.

In his quarters, Number 1 and Pike marvel at the idea everything that happened today may have been pre-ordained after all, and Number 1 points out just because they'd gotten a message from the future, doesn't mean they understood it at first... Talking more about Pike's own message about his future. Pike points out the names of the cadets he will save, thinking it'll all be worth it. But Una refuses to believe his fate is written in stone.
Fairly good episode. It's good to see Star Trek finally getting back to what it should be about. Didn't like how the Enterprise had no clue about the alien ship when it showed up though, and they didn't bother to explain how/why their sensors didn't pick them up. And it's strange how they're portraying Sam Kirk. I saw someone mention he's like Guy from Galaxy Quest... and I think that's actually a fitting description. Oh, and Uhura has a tragic back story now... Because everyone in nu-Trek has to have a tragic back story it seems.
Last edited by Sparky Prime on Fri May 13, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

The first episode of Strange New Worlds is available to watch for free for a limited time.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:39 pm The first episode of Strange New Worlds is available to watch for free for a limited time.
Nice, I will definitely watch it. I don't want Paramount+ on any long term basis, but I may sign up for a month when SNW finishes so I can watch it and Picard. All the reviews say Strange New Worlds is pretty good and feels a lot more like a classic Star Trek show than anything else they've produced. I'd like to see for myself.

Edit: Watched it. Good episode, feels more like the 90s-2000 era Trek in terms of storytelling than the original series, even though it's meant to be earlier in the timeline, but I expected that. The series works, I think, because Anson Mount has the presence that is required to play the captain. The one episode I've seen of Discovery was season two where he temporarily takes command, and I thought then that even though he's not a lot like Jeffrey Hunter's PIke, he was very good and I enjoyed watching him play the character. I have a better opinion of both Spock and Number One (and I see they've given her a name, Una) than I did at first from some of the Short Treks I've seen, even though Ethan Peck isn't really a lot like Leonard Nimoy. The lady playing Uhura is doing a great job and I can really see her as a younger Nichelle Nichols, the enthusiasm, the cheerful demeanor, even some of the body language at her station feel authentic. M'Benga is just nice to see in a more substantial role, and I enjoy his accent. I hope that's not the same Mr. Kyle that John Winston played though. I don't mind them casting a black actor to play Robert April since the character only appeared on one animated episode, so there's plenty of room to reinterpret the character, but that's different than replacing a character so firmly fixed in my memory as the blonde, British-accented Mr. Kyle. Not a fan of the change if it's supposed to be the same man. I prefer to think of the transporter operator as one of the men seen at the transporter in The Cage.

My only complaint with the plot is this: how in the world could the aliens on that planet figure out how to engineer a warp reactor from looking at a fleet of ships off in space? Seems like they would have to get a much closer look at the actual engineering of the ships. I can't say I really bought that idea, though the moral conflict it created that Pike had to solve is good enough that I went along with it.

The opening titles look great, very much like Voyager. The theme song is utterly forgettable though. Seriously, an hour later and I can't remember it. I know they can write good music, I thought the theme for Picard was very good, but SNW's theme is bland and quiet and did not stick in my memory at all.

The technology feels miles ahead of where it should be, but the ships and sets are aesthetically beautiful, and I enjoy seeing something close to the original series uniforms and bridge. I like it, good episode, feels very Star Trek, and the three primary leads (Pike, Spock and Number One) are well cast and likeable. It's a good start. I'll definitely want to see the rest of the season.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The episode inspired me to go back and watch a couple of TOS episodes. Operation: Annihilate is the only time Sam Kirk appeared in the original series, and he's dead (and if you look close, the only time we see his face it's William Shatner with a moustache), with no indication that he was ever in Starfleet. He seems to be a civilian researcher, so maybe the idea is going to be that he left the service for civilian work at some point, possibly when his son was born. I also watched "A Private Little War" to see one of Dr. M'Benga's appearances, where he's said to have interned in a Vulcan medical ward, so he's more than qualified to treat Spock's gunshot injuries.

According to the same episode, Jim Kirk should be a lieutenant during the time period shown on Strange New Worlds, and I see they've cast someone for the role for SNW season 2. I think in The Menagerie Kirk says that he met Captain Pike when Pike was promoted to fleet Captain, so hopefully they'll keep that in mind and watch their continuity.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:41 pmMy only complaint with the plot is this: how in the world could the aliens on that planet figure out how to engineer a warp reactor from looking at a fleet of ships off in space? Seems like they would have to get a much closer look at the actual engineering of the ships. I can't say I really bought that idea, though the moral conflict it created that Pike had to solve is good enough that I went along with it.
Yeah, this really bugged me about the episode too. There's just no way they'd be able to figure out warp technology simply by witnessing a space battle through a telescope. They'd absolutely have to see how the warp core works.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:53 am
andersonh1 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:41 pmMy only complaint with the plot is this: how in the world could the aliens on that planet figure out how to engineer a warp reactor from looking at a fleet of ships off in space? Seems like they would have to get a much closer look at the actual engineering of the ships. I can't say I really bought that idea, though the moral conflict it created that Pike had to solve is good enough that I went along with it.
Yeah, this really bugged me about the episode too. There's just no way they'd be able to figure out warp technology simply by witnessing a space battle through a telescope. They'd absolutely have to see how the warp core works.
I think they could easily have solved this issue by having one of the ships crash on the planet, where the natives could genuinely disassemble and reverse-engineer it.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:24 amI think they could easily have solved this issue by having one of the ships crash on the planet, where the natives could genuinely disassemble and reverse-engineer it.
Exactly. That would have been such a simple and easy way to explain this. Which makes me wonder why these writers wrote it the way they did. I mean, did nobody in that writers room think it was ridiculous for this race to invent warp technology simply by watching a space battle through a telescope, with out actually seeing how those ships work?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Strange New Worlds season 1 episode 3
Spoiler
The Enterprise is investigating an abandoned colony of Illyrians, a humanoid race that is known to genetically modify themselves and so are considered somewhat outcasts to the Federation due to genetic modification being illegal. I'd always gotten the impression that law was specifically in regards to attempts to make genetic 'supermen', and that some degree of genetic manipulation was allowed, but whatever... The away team quickly transport back to the ship as an Ion storm is approaching, but Pike and Spock end up having to take shelter on the planet as they miss the window. A disease quickly spreads among the crew on the Enterprise, causing the crew to become strongly attracted to light and injuring themselves to reach any light source, but Dr. M'Benga cannot find any known virus or bacteria causing it, nor does chief engineer Hemmer understand how the biofilters missed whatever is causing it. Very reminiscent of previous Star Trek series episodes where a contagion get on the ship, forcing the crew to quickly find the cause/cure.

Number One is somehow immune to this disease, but for some reason keeps this information secret. The virus, turns out, travels in light. So the solution is to sedate the infected crew and turn out the lights and just ride it out. As things get worst on the ship (such as Hemmer trying to beam up some of the planet's molten mantel), Number One reveals that she is Illyrian, and lied in order to get into Starfleet. Her immune system is capable of neutralizing the virus in her and offers her blood to find a cure, but Dr. M'Benga says her blood doesn't have any anti-bodies for him to synthesize a cure from, her body simply burnt out the virus. Meanwhile, Lt. Noonien-Singh wakes up and attempts to cause a warp core breach to be bathed in the light of it. Number One is able to stop her, but before she can restore the containment field, lethal radiation floods engineering. Number One's immune system to kicks in, and her proximity to Lt. Noonien-Singh creates anti-bodies to the virus in her that they're able to use to cure the crew.

This is dumb. First off, even if Number One has a super enhanced alien immune system, how would it fight off radiation? Radiation is not something that can be burned out of a body like a virus, which apparently is what is happening when her skin glows. Secondly, why would proximity to Una in this process create "chimeric antibodies" in Lt. Noonien-Sigh? If Una's body didn't produce anti-bodies to fight off this virus in the first place, why would it spontaneously create anti-bodies in someone else that happened to be near by?

Pike and Spock return to the ship now that the ion storm has passed and the ship is cured of the virus. Having taken shelter in the library, they've learned the colonies were trying to restore their genetic code to what it was before their race began modifications so that they could join the Federation, only to succumb to the virus as a result. And some of them somehow became energy creatures that live in the ion storm and protected the pair when the window broke. It's disappointing how they completely gloss over this. These energy-based Illyrians still seem to be cognizant given they went out of their way to protect Spock and Pike. Yet Spock and Pike dismiss them all as having died, when that really doesn't seem to be the case. Anyway, Number One offers her resignation to Pike for having lied to join Starfleet, but Pike refuses, because she's one of the best officers he's ever served with regardless of her manipulated genetics. How did she even keep this secret? I mean, wouldn't any medical checkup show that she wasn't human? Una also apologizes to Lt. Noonien-Sigh for lying about being genetically modified, because she'd been bullied as a child for being related to Khan, and hates Augments as a result. I get the feeling the writers will be revisiting this topic at some point.

And finally, Number One confronts Dr. M'Benga, having discovered that he refused to allow the medical transporter to be upgraded while Enterprise was in Spacedock. The light virus got through as a result. Not really sure how, wouldn't the medical transporter be isolated from the main transporter systems? M'Benga reveals his daughter has a terminal illness and he's keeping her alive in the transporter buffer, explaining there is no limit to how long something is kept in the buffer, so long as they are rematerialized regularly....

Sigh... I could probably name a half dozen episodes where they say they CANNOT keep something in the transporter buffer for more than a few minutes before the pattern begins to degrade. Scotty being the ONE exception to this, having jury-rigged a transporter in an unusual way that managed to preserve his pattern for 75 years, although it didn't work for his friend Franklin. And a Voyager episode established that repeated transporter suspension causes acute cellular degradation.

At any rate, M'Benga asks that he have a moment to say goodbye to his daughter now that he's been caught, but Number One surprises him saying she'll have a dedicated line of power from the warp core provided to this transporter so this doesn't happen again so that he can continue looking for a cure for his daughters illness.
This was an overall a good story, reminiscent of episodes like "The Naked Time"/"The Naked Now", albeit a bit rushed at the end. But then they go and screw up details with basic science, like what effect radiation has on organic tissue, and Star Trek continuity, like how the transporter buffer works. It's a big improvement over Discovery and Picard, but it's disappointing they keep getting stuff like this wrong. It just makes me wonder if the writers do any research when writing these episodes.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I've checked Discovery season 2 out of the library because I want to see how Pike got to where he was in Strange New Worlds. I've seen the first episode of the season before, back when it was free for a limited time, but I watched one and two tonight. It all feels far too technologically advanced for the era it's supposed to be a part of, and I think the writers need the technology to write themselves out of fixes they get the characters into, so it's a bit of a crutch. I found the direction for the first episode visually confusing and the characters hard to keep up with, except for Tilly, Saru, Burnham and Pike. Everyone else feels interchangeable, just "random Discovery crewmember". The special effects are very good, I'll give them that.

I reviewed episode one of Discovery's 2nd season here, and I still feel the same way about the episode: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1102&start=290