Botcon '12 Exclusives

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Re: Botcon '12 Exclusives

Post by Gomess »

Onslaught Six wrote:Metalhawk is the Chromedome of Masterforce. Pretty sure he shows Ginrai the ropes, too.
This, of course, will only mean anything to Scourge if he's seen Headmasters.

...And I'm not sure it's accurate, anyway. Chromedome is a traditional anime bumbling gutsy hero, whereas Metalhawk is a reserved and competent "elder brother" figure.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I meant in the "Main Autobot character who isn't Prime/Ginrai" archetype. So, I guess like Ultra Magnus.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Oh, yeah. Metalhawk's "second in command" I guess. In that annoying way that he's *meant* to be the leader, being way more experienced and intelligent, but Ginrai is clearly the figurehead and gets all the glory.

All the FIRE GUTS and glory.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

So, while ponding the irony of the fact that I am going nuts over a some-character Shattered Glass recolour (albeit of a mould that I really like and a character that I have always kind of liked), I had a thought about a really stupid, but very probably idea for the Fan Club.

The Fan Club Runamuck and Runabout figures do not have coloured faction sigils. (Both use RTS style rub sigils.) In other words, the colours of the sigils are irrelevant. Can anyone else see Fun Publications half-assedly re-purposing these toys as SG characters and just reversing the names?

Dom
-repurposing: customizing for the lazy and untalented.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

And, pictures of toys and character names have been revealed. (source: AllSpark.)

Besides the already revealed 6 figure box set, they have revealed the custom class figure, the door figure and and the names of the show exclusive pack figures.

-SG Longarm/Shockwave: The descriptions are not clear on exactly how this works. It sounds like some kind of interdimensional posession fan-fickery though. Despite this being a near impossible to find figure of a character that I like (Shockwave) with new moulding, I am really fine with missing this one simply for it being based on such an idiotic concept. (I was more worried about it being an Autotrooper or something.)

-Bard of Darkmount (Straxus): Lewis spent a fair amount of time compaining (over text) about the name. But, to be fair, it works. SG Straxus has been described as a poet. So, the poetic name kind of works. (The core concept is still dumb, but the execution is about as good as one might expect it to be.) The colouring is based on a really bad German comic from the 80s. Yet another figure I am happy to skip.

-Junkion 3 pack: No word on the moulding for the faces that I know of. I am a bit sorry that I missed these, if only because I could use them as bases for "other Junkion" customs. (A small amount of paint and some stickers are all it would take....) If anybody here gets a set of these, let me know. We might be able to work out a deal.

-SG Optimus and Kick-off: I am guessing these are recolours of RTS Optimus and Jazz. If I liked either mould more, missing this set would be bothersome. As it stands now, I am just taking this as license to make a new (RiD) Scourge figure.

-SG Octopunch and Spinister: Octopunch is a recolour of movie Seaspray. I am not sure what Spinister is. Aside from this being the first use of a movie toy in a BotCon set, I cannot think of much to be excited about here. Maybe pics of the toys will change this.

The comic: I am hearing only vague plot points. But, it sounds like the post G1 "Classics" timeline gets wiped out by SG. This may or may not have anything to do with IDW picking up Marvel G1 in a few weeks. Either way, I find it funny that (at least so far) nobody is whining when a BotCon comic wipes out a whole timeline, but IDW cannot even kill off a third tier character without triggering fantrums.

I will post more thoughts on the comic when I get a copy or read Lewis', and most likely will have more thoughts on the toys.

And, again, if anybody wants to unload that completely worthless SG Tracks figure, let me know. I understand that it is the worst part of an otherwise fine set (especially that wonderful Overlord figure with the completely out of sync head sculpt), and I would hate to see somebody's collection ruined with that Tracks figure because they went to BotCon. So, let me know. I will even try to make things right for you by paying money for your junk toy, just so you will not feel like you lost anything at all. (See how much I love you?) I am only willing to do this for an SG Tracks though, because that mould is so terrible that I want to help at least one person on this forum be rid of it.

Please, help me to help you!

Dom
-well, it is worth a shot, right?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:-SG Longarm/Shockwave: The descriptions are not clear on exactly how this works. It sounds like some kind of interdimensional posession fan-fickery though. Despite this being a near impossible to find figure of a character that I like (Shockwave) with new moulding, I am really fine with missing this one simply for it being based on such an idiotic concept. (I was more worried about it being an Autotrooper or something.)
I was under the impression it was supposed to be Shockwave disguised as Longarm or something, a la Animated, which is okay, as far as SG cherry-picking ideas to apply to its ‘own’ characters goes. I’m more concerned about the dickish move by FunPub it presents: You have to choose to have your very expensive, super-limited toy effectively be one character or the other. If you really only like Shockwave or Longarm and don’t care about the other, you’re fine, but if you want to add both to your collection, you’re right and truly fucked.
-Bard of Darkmount (Straxus): Lewis spent a fair amount of time compaining (over text) about the name. But, to be fair, it works. SG Straxus has been described as a poet. So, the poetic name kind of works. (The core concept is still dumb, but the execution is about as good as one might expect it to be.) The colouring is based on a really bad German comic from the 80s. Yet another figure I am happy to skip.
Huh, I was under the impression he was supposed to be based on Scrounge. Whatevs, I’ve already got Straxus and Skullgrin, both uses of that mold in *good* color schemes.
-Junkion 3 pack: No word on the moulding for the faces that I know of. I am a bit sorry that I missed these, if only because I could use them as bases for "other Junkion" customs. (A small amount of paint and some stickers are all it would take....) If anybody here gets a set of these, let me know. We might be able to work out a deal.
I’m actually interested in this set too, if only because I like the mold and the colors appeal to me. Dom, if you do get a set, I would be interested in buying one off you, if possible. That goes for anyone else too, actually (is ANYONE here going to BotCon this year?).
-SG Optimus and Kick-off: I am guessing these are recolours of RTS Optimus and Jazz. If I liked either mould more, missing this set would be bothersome. As it stands now, I am just taking this as license to make a new (RiD) Scourge figure.
Go for it, Dom, if only to ensure that Hasbro unveils a new, official Black Convoy/Scourge using the mold a week after you finish it.
-SG Octopunch and Spinister: Octopunch is a recolour of movie Seaspray. I am not sure what Spinister is. Aside from this being the first use of a movie toy in a BotCon set, I cannot think of much to be excited about here. Maybe pics of the toys will change this.
Spinister is based on Tomahawk from the ROTF line, so they’re both movie figures being used (along with Bludgeon as Overlord). Lots of people like Tomahawk, but I never got into the mold, for some reason, I liked his wave-mate Terradive a lot more. I think Spinister is using Tomahawk’s extra head, which previously only saw use in that limited Japanese-exclusive DOTM Vortex toy.
The comic: I am hearing only vague plot points. But, it sounds like the post G1 "Classics" timeline gets wiped out by SG. This may or may not have anything to do with IDW picking up Marvel G1 in a few weeks. Either way, I find it funny that (at least so far) nobody is whining when a BotCon comic wipes out a whole timeline, but IDW cannot even kill off a third tier character without triggering fantrums.
It’s kind of hilarious, actually, considering the Classics timeline over-wrote G2 when it started existing, and now it’s getting erased by an SG crossover. So G2 effectively got decanonized for nothing! Now *that* kind of upsets me. Kind of. Mainly though it’s just kind of funny.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Yeah, nothing in the BotCon stuff that interests me much. Except for one thing. I would seriously be about a million percent behind Hasbro releasing non-assembled, unpainted Transformers that you could put together and paint and sticker-up and whatnot. Especially if they included your choice of heads or weapons or whatever. I would almost be willing to pay more for something like that than for an assembled figure.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

138 Scourge wrote:Yeah, nothing in the BotCon stuff that interests me much. Except for one thing. I would seriously be about a million percent behind Hasbro releasing non-assembled, unpainted Transformers that you could put together and paint and sticker-up and whatnot. Especially if they included your choice of heads or weapons or whatever. I would almost be willing to pay more for something like that than for an assembled figure.
All-white Seeker kit. Why. The HELL. Has this not happened yet?

Takara's *kind* of moving into the plamo-TF market with those Mini-Con kits that come with their versions of the TFPrime toys. It would be interesting to see full-size kits though, especially if they offered/encouraged customization.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

BWprowl wrote:
Takara's *kind* of moving into the plamo-TF market with those Mini-Con kits that come with their versions of the TFPrime toys. It would be interesting to see full-size kits though, especially if they offered/encouraged customization.
And you know, even as much as I've been interested in downsizing the collection, I'm seriously considering ordering a couple of those things.

And fuck yeah, I wasn't even thinking of an all-white Seeker kit, but yeah, that'd be just about perfect. God, I would make some really dumb and awesome looking Seekers.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

If you really only like Shockwave or Longarm and don’t care about the other, you’re fine, but if you want to add both to your collection, you’re right and truly fucked.
To be fair, the custom class is the only way to do this figure. And, in theory, the heads might be swappable after the fact, allowing for resin's fragility.
All-white Seeker kit. Why. The HELL. Has this not happened yet?
This would be a perfect club store or HTS exclusive.
Huh, I was under the impression he was supposed to be based on Scrounge.
Somebody on AllSpark linked to a scan form a (really bad) European TF comic that depicted Straxus in similar colours. Either way, this figure is what it is.
(is ANYONE here going to BotCon this year?).
Wait a minute, what about Mirage?

It’s kind of hilarious, actually, considering the Classics timeline over-wrote G2 when it started existing, and now it’s getting erased by an SG crossover. So G2 effectively got decanonized for nothing! Now *that* kind of upsets me. Kind of. Mainly though it’s just kind of funny.
Well, TF is a multiverse, so nothing is well and truly gone. I am just curious about the fantrums, or if there will be any fantrums because of this. (Killing an obscure character in RiD is cause for fantrums. But, I wonder how wiping out an established timeline will play with those people.)

As it stands, there are 5 officially established timelines flowing out of the end of the US/UK comics, with a 6th semi-official timeline. And, that is not counting the various incompatible black and white stories from the late UK comics.

-case 1: Another Time and Place. This was a text story in the last UK annual. Furman specifically mentions it in his signing off from issue 80 in 1991, making it the third UK story that US readers were specifically made aware of. "Man of Iron" was the first, and a story referenced during "Matrix Quest" were the other two.

-case 2a: Generation 2. 12 issue comic published by Marvel, involving a problematic crossover with "GI Joe". Arguably never really fit in with issues 1-80.
-case 2b: G2 UK. Published by Marvel UK. Crude art and story differences.
-Alignment: Unofficial story written by Furman that draws on plot points that would have been official had G2 continued.

-case 3: Fun Publications "Classics". Likely to be wiped out in this year's convention comic.

-case 4: ReGeneration 1. Furman's continuation from issue 80.5, presumably ignors "Another Time and Place".

Dom
-gets the feeling that this is going to be a worse trainwreck than the 2006 comic.