Botcon '12 Exclusives

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Botcon '12 Exclusives

Post by BWprowl »

Seeing as how much we unanimously looooove Shattered Glass over here, I'm sure the whole board's excited for next year's BotCon set, which'll have everyone's favorite totally wacky morality-swapped robots dimension-hopping to fight Classics-style G1 guys. Woo hoo.

First up is 'The Overlord' Gigatron. 'S it just me, or is FunPub getting worse about securing the names of the guys they want to make toys of as years go on? They couldn't get 'Pyro', 'Streetwise', or 'Scorch' in the G2 set, though I guess last year's Animated set was better. At least there's precedent for Overlord being called Gigatron here. I'm getting off base-ANYWAY, I'm not crazy about Overlord as a repaint of Bludgeon, the body just doesn't fit him that well, and the disparity is even wider with the Nick Roche-style head slapped on there. Admittedly the tank mode is pretty spot-on, but the price you pay with the robot mode really isn't worth it, in my opinion. And maybe it's just the photos, but his blue is extremely...blue. I dunno, coulda been more subdued, he almost seemed lavender in LSotW, but then again that's because that comic was ALL DARK ALL THE TIME. Whatevs. I'll at least like him more than stupid heroic ninja turtle Soundwave or whoever (and I'm one of the few who LIKES the Universe Ironhide mold, it's all the character and context that's destroying that one for me!). Maybe it's just my Shattered Glass-hate talking, but I woulda preferred to see them do something cool with PCC molds or something.

Anyway, anyone else got thoughts?

(Yeah, they totally should've remolded the big sword on Overlord into a golf club.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and an SG-themed set only increases the chances of David Willis sticking his dick into the context somewhere (in fact, recent posts by him pretty much guarantee this happening), so there's that too.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Re: Botcon '12 Exclusives

Post by Gomess »

I've never been impressed with any BotCon exclusives, but the cut-and-paste job with the head here actually made me boggle a little. They could've at least given him chunky G1-style feet to go with it, instead of Kewl Modern Talons.

Weird how high-contrast the colour scheme looks here too, though that may just be the photography. The original Overlord's colour scheme seemed pretty subdued to me.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Gomess wrote:I've never been impressed with any BotCon exclusives, but the cut-and-paste job with the head here actually made me boggle a little. They could've at least given him chunky G1-style feet to go with it, instead of Kewl Modern Talons.
The mould has those because Bludgeon is a skeleton, not anything else.

Anyway, this whole set looks positively dumb and skip-worthy. Screw the club this year.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:
Gomess wrote:I've never been impressed with any BotCon exclusives, but the cut-and-paste job with the head here actually made me boggle a little. They could've at least given him chunky G1-style feet to go with it, instead of Kewl Modern Talons.
The mould has those because Bludgeon is a skeleton, not anything else.

Anyway, this whole set looks positively dumb and skip-worthy. Screw the club this year.
Yeah, for once... I'm actually glad I can't go to Botcon. And that's pretty sad.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

So now we have Road Rage, or "Shattered Glass Tracks." Fuck that. I'm calling him Road Rage. I can see through FunPub's seriously awful photoshop digibash skillz and see that the figure itself will be cool.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Heh, well at least now we have a concrete solution to Dom's Red Tracks conundrum. Can't wait to see his reaction. :P

Wait, isn't FunPub also using that mold for Runabout and Runamuck in next year's club exclusives? It's a nice mold, but I don't know that it needs to be spammed that much, especially if this ends up being one of the molds they inevitably duplicate for one of the souvenir sets.

Anyone wanna take guesses on the other guys in the set? We already know Soundwave and Magnus (and at least mild props to FunPub for NOT screwing Hasbro out of the chance to make Scourge out of that mold), so the big question marks are Metalhawk and Treadshot. I can see them using Warpath for Treadshot, with maybe Cyclonus or Thunderwing for Metalhawk.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

BWprowl wrote:We already know Soundwave and Magnus (and at least mild props to FunPub for NOT screwing Hasbro out of the chance to make Scourge out of that mold),
It's just me being a horrible person, probably, but I would have sort of been okay with that. Yeah, it'd mean that I wouldn't be able to pick up the Scourge version of the mold, but on the other hand, the fan rage would have been pretty funny, so it'd have balanced out.

Either way, there's nothing in this set that I'm interested in, really. Overlord looks kind of goofy, Tracks looks like a red Tracks, which, okay, but no big deal. Probably just as well, because even if I liked this stuff, there's no way in hell I'd be able to convince myself to shell out that kind of money for these things.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

138 Scourge wrote:
BWprowl wrote:We already know Soundwave and Magnus (and at least mild props to FunPub for NOT screwing Hasbro out of the chance to make Scourge out of that mold),
It's just me being a horrible person, probably, but I would have sort of been okay with that. Yeah, it'd mean that I wouldn't be able to pick up the Scourge version of the mold, but on the other hand, the fan rage would have been pretty funny, so it'd have balanced out.

Either way, there's nothing in this set that I'm interested in, really. Overlord looks kind of goofy, Tracks looks like a red Tracks, which, okay, but no big deal. Probably just as well, because even if I liked this stuff, there's no way in hell I'd be able to convince myself to shell out that kind of money for these things.
I don't think there would have been fan rage over a Botcon RID Scourge. The whole point of the "campaign" is that (for those of us that care) we know it's going to happen, we don't care where or when, but we just want it to be called Scourge.

The fan rage would have been if they'd done a black repaint of it and called it Darktimus Prime or some shit like that.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:I don't think there would have been fan rage over a Botcon RID Scourge. The whole point of the "campaign" is that (for those of us that care) we know it's going to happen, we don't care where or when, but we just want it to be called Scourge.

The fan rage would have been if they'd done a black repaint of it and called it Darktimus Prime or some shit like that.
I disagree about the lack of rage. Take a repaint that everyone wants, like Scourge (which most people assumed they even made this mold in the first place just to repaint it into) and stick it in a limited, hard to get, expensive box set? Oh yeah, there'd be howling. Think Thundercracker.
Spoiler
As a PS, you guys in said 'campaign' know he wasn't even called Scourge in the first place, right? Habsor slapped the name Scourge onto him when they brought the line over, so another name change would be more like continuing the tradition, rather than some sort of sacrilege.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

The difference though is that people were pissed that such a main character was released as a limited edition set and not at retail. It's character specific to Thundercracker (and the other seekers in that set), not to every character in TFs. Scourge being named Scourge in RID made him stand out amount "Evil Prime/Black/Dark/Nemesis Prime/Convoy" repaints and THAT'S why we're pushing for it. Most of "us" in the campaign figure that it will either be mass retail or Botcon/club exclusive but it's more about the name rather than the type of release. There probably would be a few fans that would be pissed about it, but I doubt that it would be any more than any other character.