"Infestation" sequel announced

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

"Infestation" sequel announced

Post by Dominic »

No, really.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/idw-inf ... 11012.html

Because, uh, the first one had such a great response? It was a critical and commercial success that did not get lukewarm reviews and annoy readers of unrelated titles that most certainly did not highlight IDW's sloppy editing?
“This year, we’re going to build on the monstrous part, both in terms of story, titles affected and the threat itself. So people can expect a bigger event here, with lots of legs. Well, tentacles, anyway. We’ve got great creators and a very exciting plan to give people more of what they liked the first time, with some crazy twists and new properties affected, too.”
Because this really makes readers happy in the long run. Yep, foisting a crossover on people and making them bulk up their pull lists is really going to go over well.
This gripping issue sets the stage for Lovecraft’s “Old Ones” to break through time and space and invade many titles
And....explicitly introducing yet another property that IDW does not own, and this time as a main player......
and a special fifth-week one-shot, INFESTATION: TEAM-UP, featuring Bat Boy and GROOM LAKE’s grey alien Archibald in February.
And, the only IDW book that week will be....the huckster cross-over of their in-house property.
Joining Swierczynski and Messina on covers for INFESTATION 2 #1 and #2 will be Alex Garner and Livio Ramondelli. INFESTATION 2 #1 will also feature unique temporary tattoos.
Poly-bagged with crap, just like the 90s.....
In February, writer Chuck Dixon and artist Guido Guidi will return to the often-requested “Hearts of Steel” timeline for the bi-weekly INFESTATION 2: TRANSFORMERS #1 and #2.
Oh yeah, people loved Dixon on the first "Hearts of Steel". Yup, taking a concept that people liked in broad strokes...and putting back in the hands of the guy whose anemic handling of it diminished interest the first time around...and making it part of a big stupid cross-over. Of course, that makes perfect sense.
while Mike Raicht and Valentine de Landro present INFESTATION 2: G.I. JOE #1
Ah, a follow up to the series that IDW was back-pedalling on before it even hit the shelves.

As a special bonus for fans, every issue of the INFESTATION 2 event will feature a connected cover by artist Livio Ramondelli, and IDW will be producing special incentive temporary tattoos with each issue, too.
Anyone else remember the Claremont/Lee "X-Men" #1 issues sitting on shelves for months after the fact not quite 20 years ago?
Stay tuned to IDWPublishing.com as more creative teams for this epic crossover event are announced. Plus, readers can get a sneak peek at INFESTATION 2 by asking their local retailer about the INFESTATION 2 ashcan, coming in late November and featuring interviews, artwork and information about this momentous event.
Will 2012 be the year that IDW, the company that kept me in comics for the last few years, pushes me out of comic? Stay tuned!

Dom
-still waiting for a foil stamped acetate cover.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Re: "Infestation" sequel announced

Post by Gomess »

Oh, I'm holding out for the special edition re-re-release of Infestation 2: Electric Boogaloo where every issue connects together with a complex holofoil wiring system to form a fully-functioning 6ft-tall Jhiaxus.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

At least we would get a Jhiaxus figure out of that.

Seriously, "Infestation" was like a text book example of bad comics....from the 90s. Imagine an editorial and business plan that used the worst decisions of the 90s for inspiration. It is a transparent, and classless, money grab, nothing more.

IDW is basically Dark Horse minus the class. Dark Horse was not above putting a "Star Wars" back up in other books, or vice versa. But, they never actually cross SW over with other properties outside of the occassional ad (and I may even be over-remembering that).

Dom
-not buying the whole crossover time.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

The Lovecraft thing is an exaggeration, right? They're not literally going to put Old Ones in their comic books just because they're kewl, right?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

You just read the press release. You saw what it said.

And, IDW is not at all shy about piggy-backing on everybody else's IP to boost their own.

All of the non-IDW properties involved have pre-existing fan support, including fans who are completists. Of course, foisting that many bad comics on readers will wear them down.

Dom
-and putting Dixon back on is not even deliveriong on anything people want....
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

The cover features Shredder, who isn't even introduced in the IDW TMNT universe yet. Hopefully it'll be a spinoff universe rather than anything else, like HOS. ARGH though.

Also, these are seriously some confusing titles. GI Joe Infestation 2 #1. Why not just...GI Joe Infestation #3?

At least this time they're using something that might be a little neat instead of shoehorning in their own bullheaded Original Characters comic like last time. That said, Lovecraft is in the public domain, anyone can use it. (And many people were using it back in Lovecraft's time as well. The Conan series was originally set in the same universe.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Okay....So IDW is using a public domain character as the center-piece of their big event, That is so friggin' ghetto. Seriously, this is the 3rd biggest publisher in the country? I would expect this kind of shit from one fo the smaller publishers in the 80s, maybe.

Is it just me, or is IDW stuck in the 90s?

Dom
-really kind of ashamed about reading so much IDW.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

My, how silly.

But there are a lot of Lovecraft marks out there, so I'm sure it'll sell well enough.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I don't like Lovecraft. I don't like him enough that I'm glad I'm not buying comics anymore. Thank god I got out when it was still good.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:I would expect this kind of shit from one fo the smaller publishers in the 80s, maybe.
Like...Red5 and Atomic Robo?

Except, Atomic Robo's turn at a Lovecraft take-off was really good. Whereas Againfestation will...probably not be...

I'm still waiting on the inevitable cross-over between Marvel G1 #80+ and the IDW-Continuity MTMTE/RiD books once those start up. It's gonna happen, don't try to deny it.

ALL COMICS NOW READ LIKE FAN CLUB COMICS!!