Infestation discussion

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
Sydew
Minibot

Re: Infestation discussion

Post by Sydew »

The zombie fun kind of got lost on me as this x-over continues.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

This is just a cash-grab by IDW. They are trying to cash in on the (arguably passe') zombie craze with "Zombies v/s Robots", and they are trying to pump that book up by linking it to their viable licenced properties.

The result is bad comics for everyone.

Dom
-really hoping this does not turn into "a thing" for IDW.
Sydew
Minibot

Post by Sydew »

I think "Zombies Vs Robots" was a good comic, I loved the concept and the style of the artwork. That said I couldn't agree more with you, Dom this was just a very extensive advertising campaign for "ZvsR". They're planing a series launch for April and it has been already pickup by Sony Pictures to make a movie. It's just sad that they were not more meticulous when creating the story for the crossover, I still think of all the untapped potential this idea had.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I could have done without this being as intrusive as it is. Did we really need major plot points from TF being dragged into, and then advanced in, "Infestation"?

I know that I am not the only person who remembers this sort of thing trying readers' patience (and driving saide readers away) in the 90s.

Dom
-seriously IDW, do not try this shit again.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

GI Joe Infestation #1:
Like much of IDW's run of "GI Joe", this issue is crassly inarticulate and mean-spirited. It definitely feels like it fits with the main "GI Joe" book. On the other hand, it deviates considerably from the "Infestation" standard. Apparently, the Joes have already fought off a zombie invasion, and this issue focuses on the results of Cobra experimenting with a zombified arm after the fact. This may or may not explain the absence of Britt from this issue. Over-all, a standard effort for "GI Joe" and a bad effort for the cross-over.
Grade: F

Ghostbusters Infestation #1:
As has been pointed out by many people, many times before, "Ghostbusters" is the one franchise that "Infestation" logically fit with. Context-wise, the comic seems to be splitting the difference between the cartoon and comics and maintaining the correct tone and pacing for a "Ghostbusters" story. If this were not part of an intrusive cross-over, the biggest problem with this issue would be pacing. In places, it seems that the writers are trying to fit 3 or 4 issues worth of content into the allotted two. On some places, the compresion is so bad that it is difficult to figure out what is happening panel by panel. Of course, had this been a regular arc, they would not have been limited to two issues, which likely would have helped on this front.
Grade: C/D

Dom
-wondering if "GI Joe" will be worse than "Transformers".
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

GI Joe (Infestation) #2:

And....it sucks. Truth be told, I am suprised by the lack of venom directed at this issue form fan reviews. (I checked YoJoe and the IDW boards this morning.) While not as obnoxious or intrusive as "Transformers", the "GI Joe" portion of "Infestation" is pretty bad. Unlike the other three, there was no Britt manifestation in evidence. This is a small detail. But, Britt was supposed to be the character that brought the cross-over together, and brought it all back to the second book-end issue. And, unlike the other 3, this one actually kills of an established character. (I am honestly suprised that the Joe-fanbase is not more annoyed by this.)

I still find the "Transformers" issues more offensive. But, I may be biased as I regularly read that book.

Dom
-almost going to miss not having a weekly train wreck.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Lest anyone think I am going soft...

Ghostbusters Infestation #2:
Wow, and here I was thinking "Infestation" was going to be repetitive. This issue is issue is bad in whole new ways. The art is only slightly more helpful than the art in the second issue of "Transformers: Infestation", thought there are still a few places where it is hard to figure out what is going on even while reading the words on the damned page. And, unlike the other "Infestation" outing, "Ghostbusters" ends with an oh so creative "the end...or is it?". Even "Transformers", which is still arguably the worst of the 4, managed to wrap it up decisively.

Dom
-one more issue of this trainwreck to go.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Wow Dom, you went all in for this trainwreck. I only got the TF issues and that was it. And I'm glad I didn't have to get the rest of it for that part of it to be wrapped up.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I try to keep my pull-list as broad as possible, including everything from must read books, to curiosities, and the occassional trainwreck.

Dom
-read all of "Countdown", and most of the crossovers.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Yeah, I just went for the Transformers issues, though I was tempted by the Star Trek story as well. I wonder if the trade paperback will include all parts of the story? Or will they split it up, I wonder?