PCCs are Decepticon-heavy

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
JediTricks
Site Admin

PCCs are Decepticon-heavy

Post by JediTricks »

I hadn't realized it, but nearly all the PCCs I own are Decepticons. I have all the first wave 2-packs and 2/3rds of the second wave ones, and in both waves there are 2 Decepticons and 1 Autobot. I also have half of each wave of 5-packs, each wave is a Decepticon and an Autobot, but the reason I have half is because the Autobot 5-packs are the crappier ones.

It's rather odd really seeing as Hasbro says that Takara says that the Japanese market doesn't really purchase Decepticon characters (Destrons there) anywhere near as much as the hero characters. Yet here we have a line that's notably Decepticon-focused. I wonder if the line is done that way to aim more towards the US market that doesn't care as much about the faction of a combiner.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Re: PCCs are Decepticon-heavy

Post by BWprowl »

Uh, what are you talking about? PCC's been totally balanced so far.

AUTOBOTS:
Huffer
Searchlight
Skyburst
Leadfoot
Double Clutch

DECEPTICONS:
Smolder
Bombshock
Icepick
Sledge
Mudslinger

That's five guys on each team. Though I'm in the same boat as you as far as five-packs, since the Decepticons of each wave have looked WAY better than the Autobots. I've heard nothing but bad things about Double Clutch.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Quality does not equal quantity in this case. If nothing else, game theory says that making the Decepticon toys better than the Autobots is completely sensible for the Japanese market.

The Rallybots, fast car guys, have plenty of kid appeal. Kids are going to want them, (or the cool plane guys), and will be less likely to be troubled by the real flaws both sets have. (I have to concur with the majority on DoubleClutch.) Then, the Decepticon sets can sell themselves. (The Destructicons are amazing.)

Dom
-should probably write a review for something this week.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:Then, the Decepticon sets can sell themselves. (The Destructicons are amazing.)
Oh man do I agree with you on this one. They really deserve a better Commander to be packed in with. If these guys are indicative of the quality of future drone sets, then bring it on.

Seriously, why can't all the drones be as good as the Destructicons? I get the feeling like the design team on them was having a ton of fun making an awesome set, and the teams for the other drone sets were jealous that they didn't get to work on something as cool, so they got disinterested and just phoned their's in.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I actually like Dirtboss. He is not as well engineereed as Huffer, but he might be better looking.

Am seeing a real leaning curve on the drones. For example, the Rallybots have folding hard-points and hidden connection points. But, they are flawed elsewhere. Hasbro should have worked with the designs on paper for another quarter or two before producing anything. What we are getting now are very rough designs with some good elements scattered between different batches. If this line can last a year, we can really expect much better as the design teams learn and adapt.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Okay, so the Destructicons are the Mad Max cars packed with the monster truck dude with the engine on his head, yeah? That set looks like something I might get at some point, actually.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

If you only get one combiner set, this is the one to get. The drones and core are actually scaled to each other. No, really. They are.

Dom
-needs to get a review up....
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Nah, if I only get one set, it'll be the pile of dinosaurs. If I only get two, then I'll get the Destructicons. Still, I get what you're saying.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

JediTricks wrote:It's rather odd really seeing as Hasbro says that Takara says that the Japanese market doesn't really purchase Decepticon characters (Destrons there) anywhere near as much as the hero characters. Yet here we have a line that's notably Decepticon-focused. I wonder if the line is done that way to aim more towards the US market that doesn't care as much about the faction of a combiner.
Y'know, speaking of which, is Japan even getting PCC? It'd be interesting to see how they handle the line over there. Japan likes to create extra manga and stuff for lines like this, and that would at least give us a bit more story context for these guys. Plus, I figure that market would be the type to go apeshit over little collectible blind-boxed drone/Mini-Con boosters, and that would be interesting.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Not right now, as far as we know. Animated is their mainline, it looks like, with United being their Classics Sideline. Maybe they'll see them next year with the movie launch?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.