Marvel TF Comic?

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
SynjoDeonecros
Dinobot

Marvel TF Comic?

Post by SynjoDeonecros »

Last week, as I was at my local comic book store browsing through their back issue bins, I came across something that I thought I'd never see; a series of comics that seem to be based on the Marvel Transformers line. It was called "Mega Morphs", and while I couldn't read any of them (polybagged and whatnot), the characters in it looked uncannily like the Crossover Marvel toys we got.

I'm reading the Wikipedia article of the comic, and thus far it doesn't seem to have any relation to the toy line (they apparently had their own toy line), but what'cha think? Could it have been the inspiration for the line? Maybe, when Hasbro acquired the rights to make Marvel toys, they absorbed the series into Transformers?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Re: Marvel TF Comic?

Post by BWprowl »

You're a biiiiiiit confused there. Yeah, there was a line of Transforming Marvel characters several years ago called Marvel MegaMorphs. They were made by ToyBiz, and they sucked to high heaven. There was a series of comics based around the toys, but I was under the impression that they were only packed in with the toys themselves, I don't know that they were ever sold by themselves in comic shops. Anyway, I kinda doubt that Hasbro was directly inspired by the MegaMorphs to make the Crossovers, since the thought process was more likely something like "Hey, these Star Wars Transformers are doing pretty well! What other licenses do we have that we could make into Transformers! G.I. Joe crossover? Transforming Nerf guns? No way, those would be way too awesome! Better play it safe and just do Marvel Transformers!". So yeah.

Anyway, MegaMorphs weren't even the first to do this. ToyBiz tried years before THAT with an even more sucktacular line called Marvel Shape Shifters. In this one, it was the characters themselves, not mechsuits, that transformed, and it featured such gems as Spider-Man turning into a bat. Yeah, I don't get it either...
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

http://www.the-isb.com/?p=84

So from what I gather from this review, I actually really want to read the MegaMorphs comic. And I want 'em to make a new comic based on the new Marvel TFs, too. I just want to see how Giant Robot Punisher is explained.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I've heard the Megamorphs comic is not actually awful. It may have been Dom that said as much.

Regardless, Crossovers is just the latest in Marvel's long-running attempt to enter the transforming robot market. Thankfully, it's the best of the lot. Or the least crappy.

I'd kinda like to see some kind of fiction based on them, though I'd sooner see SWTF fiction. Heh heh, Darth Star.