Power Core Combiners: Mysterious new line?

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Power Core Combiners: Mysterious new line?

Post by Dominic »

For lack of a better term, aesthetics. The combination seems, well, forced. it looks like the designers were trying to split the difference between stream-lines and clunky.

I do not dislike the toy as much as you seem to think. I might even wind up buying one from a friend who is selling off his collection. But, I do not think it is a fantastic merge team.

Dom
-it is much better than the "Energon" teams though.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

So there's some more news on this front. Peaugh's got some vidya reviews of some of these guys:

Bombshock with the Combaticons

"Searchlight" with "Backwind"

"Smolder" and "Chopster"

I dunno, I'm about halfway interested. The auto-transforming bit that the limbs have is sort of neat. Makes them a little cooler. The way that every basic in this line becomes a torso is sort of neat, too. And they can call the little sidekick dudes "mini-cons" all day, but little robots that turn into weapons says "Targetmasters" to me. Or I guess "melee Targetmasters" in Chopster's case.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Where did he get these? Did they fall of the truck?

I am not a fan of the clear plastic on the MInicons. Besides the aesthetic reasons, I have to wonder if it is a good idea to use clear plastic on Minicons that are guaranteed to be connected and disconnected so much? How "ready to break" are these going to be?

That said, I really like the basic design of the 'copter guy's Minicon. Mould wise, it is what I have wanted from Minicons for a long time. I might buy the set and recolor it. (Actually, the custom potential here is amazing.)

I like the Combaticons more than I thought I would.

Dom
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:Where did he get these? Did they fall of the truck?
Stolen prototypes bought off eBay. These kind of advance reviews are not uncommon, and it actually pisses me off because then it means there's no reason for anyone else to bother doing a better review with decent production values.
I like the Combaticons more than I thought I would.
Same with me. And screw everyone bitching that Bombshock isn't named Onslaught--they clearly have the name, they just used it this year. If he were meant to be named Onslaught, he'd be named Onslaught. (This is a much different case than Energon Barricade, where we knew they didn't have the name, and they reused the same figure as Onslaught later when they did.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The likely used "Bombshock" to hold that name. "Onslaught" is pretty secure at this point.

The production value on that video was not that bad. I got a good idea of what the toys were like by watching it. (Though the reviewer definitely seems to be running out of steam during the review of the Decepticon fire truck.) Truthfully, I kind of like these sort of advanced reviews as they give us plenty of useful information. (For example, it does not look like the Minicons are gang-molded to the Bulks in these sets. All manner of possibilty there.)

Dom
-wishing he could afford to buy off the truck.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:And screw everyone bitching that Bombshock isn't named Onslaught--they clearly have the name, they just used it this year. If he were meant to be named Onslaught, he'd be named Onslaught.
Indeed, this is why the different name didn't bother me. Can I bitch about the figure sucking though? Finally transformed it to vehicle mode and it's... awkward at best.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dang, I wasn't interested in Searchlight, but that review makes him look halfway cool! I might end up getting all three of the regular guys from the first wave now. Still not sold on the teams, as aside from these reviews, I've heard some *really* bad things about them. The Aerialbots especially look pretty iffy. I may just wait on one of the other teams and see if they're better. Or never, since I still feel halfway compelled to boycott the line until Hasbro remembers how they used to be able to make kickass gestalts.

It's also worth noting that these are the first video reviews I've ever watched, and...wow, really? I think I may have to take it upon myself to make something that doesn't put the audience to sleep.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Yeah, the early reviews on this line are kind of a let down. That is sad. I was really hoping for the kind of buzz I got during the UT. I was giddy every time I went to the toy section during "Armada" and "Cybertron". As much as I like "Generations", it does not have that extra punch that the UT did. (TFU had some great toys. But, there was not a consistent sense of "what do I have here?" with that line.)

Dom
-*sigh*
Mirage
Gestalt Combiner

Post by Mirage »

Saw the 5-packs in person today, and still wasn't impressed. You're getting what is essentially a tricked-out scout figure for... $20? No, I don't think so. And the individual figures look passable at best. I'm actually more excited for the 2-packs, those look to have better "core" figures overall. And I still like the new idea for minicons, even if the execution is weird on some of them (like Backwind). Oh and they were careful to point out at Botcon that the name is Back-WINED as in "wind a watch" as opposed to Back-WINNED as in "break wind". Okay, but it's still a fugly figure...
I disappear.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

So I am given to understand that the individual ones with the minicons are somehow combinable with the 20 scou-I mean "Commander" figures? If that's really the case, then the Commander figs should be larger.