Titanium Review Thread!

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
andersonh1

Re: Titanium Review Thread!

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:Thundercracker is perfect? Mine was far from it, the pin holding the nose broke altogether and I have yet to get a version of the mold that locks together properly.
I have two, Thundercracker and Starscream, and both give me no problems whatsover. That particular mold really is my favorite of all the Titaniums. Looks like you got the bad end of the QC stick, or I just got lucky twice.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

You're probably right. By all other accounts it's supposed to be the only decent one of the titaniums line. I've had two copies of the mold so far, Thundy and Thrust. Thrusts legs refused to lock together for the vehicle mode and I've already mentioned the broken hinge on Thundy. Come to think of it, I think Scourge has my Thrust now.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I do! And I reviewed him! He was awesome! Thanks, bro. I caught the trouble with the one leg not quite locking down, but otherwise, he's pretty nifty.

Glad that someone else is playing in this review thread, too. I'd been meaning to review the Rodimus Prime mold, only I've only got the "Menasor" version of it. Well, it was crazy cheap, so why not?

I tend to agree with anderson's assessment of the mold. Pretty good, provided you don't look at it from the side, where a huge gap is revealed. The colors on Menasor are really pretty, even if "Black Primes" are kinda cliche, this is a new take on it, and the black, purple, and silver look great.

The Menasor bio's kind of a goof, though. Decently written, but an inherently goofy idea, with all the Stunticons combined into one body..the size of Rodimus Prime. I dunno, seems like just writing him as Motormaster with a new name mighta been the way to go, but what do I know.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

And another toy goes to a happy home. Glad you're enjoying it, the leg thing irritated me a bit although not as bad as Thundy's nosecone peg completely breaking. I don't recally having problems with the Jetfire mold and Hot Spot I thought was an interesting take on the RID Optimus mold. So much so I'd like to see a full size done that color.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Some thoughts on Titanium BMac Cheetor:

- This thing has some heft to it. I think this is the first beast-former since the G1 Predacons to incorporate metal, and it adds a lot to the figure.

- Not quite show accurate. I think Supreme Cheetor still holds that claim, but Titanium Cheetor is reasonably close, and beats out deluxe and Night Slash Cheetor. The color is more a pale gold than a yellow, and it really does look very good. THe green and red bits break up the gold nicely, and the purple spots add a bit of visual texture.

- Is this the first BMac Cheetor that doesn't have the arms hampered by a gimmick of some sort. Hallelujah! I can pose him without worrying about an extending claw and without worrying about the arms not staying in place, a la Night Slash Cheetor. And the swords are removable, which is a nice touch. Too bad they're that soft rubbery plastic.

- The only real flaw I find with the bot mode is that the tail just hangs there with no way to conceal it or fold it away.

- Transformation is dead simple. Robot arms become cheetah forelegs. Robot legs become cheetah hind legs. waist rotates, and cheetah head folds up to cover robot head. The robot chest is now the cheetah back. We're left with a cat that has very very large shoulders, a stumpy torso and huge calves. The swords can be stored on the cat thighs if needed.

Overall: a good effort, and probably the best rendition of Beast Machines Cheetor. All the actual figures from the line itself are hobbled in some way, though Night Slash Cheetor is pretty decent. Titanium Cheetor has the same simplistic transformation as the others, but looks far better than any of them. I don't know if it's quite an A, but it's at least a B+. A nice figure.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Titanium Ultra Magnus

- Looks great, apart from the shoulders being too far back
- articulation is pretty good. The original had next to none, so anything would have been an improvement on that score.
- NOT a Prime repaint. Woot!
- the car carrier could be a bit better if they'd made the boots narrower. It works as a car carrier since I'm used to the original UM, but the middle is very iffy otherwise. Cab is a bit squashed, but ok.
- the big boots do give a feeling of size to the figure.
- it does suffer somewhat from being as small as it is. The head sculpt could be better.

Overall, it's not half bad. Not worth Ebay prices, but well worth $16. Like most of the Titaniums, it's a mix of good ideas and good execution mixed with iffy execution. I'd give it a B.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

138 Scourge wrote:Glad that someone else is playing in this review thread, too.
I had some titanium reviews that I'd typed up and posted here and there, so it seemed a good opportunity to collect them in one place.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The Fallen.

- First off, for someone who doesn't want to tear up the packaging, this has to be the most annoying plastic bubble ever. The tank treads are in a seperate piece behind the main bubble! It took me ten minutes to cut through/untwist all the twisty ties and get all the Fallen's parts loose!

- once he's loose, this guy looks imposing. My little girl kept asking if he had the purple face or the red face, and I had to explain that he's a really mean robot. He doesn't like anybody.

- the color scheme is excellent. "Cast iron stove" is the impression I get with the flat black and yellow/orange "glow" coming from the vents all over this guy's front. The silver trim just sets everything off nicely. This is very much a case where a minimal color scheme works very well. There's an interesting little bit of asymmetry with the left shin as well. There's a circular indentation instead of a fiery vent.

- Someone mentioned that he looks a bit like IDW Megatron before Megatron adopted his gun mode. I can see some of that, yes. I'll have to dig out the WW comics to see how closely he resembles the comic version.

- the two arm guns can fit in the fists as well. Sadly, as with all Titaniums, something evidently has to be made from rubbery plastic, and the Fallen's guns fill the quotient for this figure. Which means the gun barrels may or may not be straight.

- A majority of the joints have ratchets, making the Fallen fairly stable. The big feet and heel spurs keep him from falling over backwards. He's close to being back-heavy or not quite balanced, but he works.

- transformation is fairly simple. There's a bit of 'shellformeryness' with the tank treads that fold down to cover up the sides. The rear half of the treads is a very weak point on this vehicle, because they just flop around. It's extremely disappointing. Other than that, the vehicle is pretty good for a fantasy tank. The guns can elevate, and the turret actually rotates, which gives the guns a good bit of range.

Overall: Concept and the novelty of having this character as a figure make me really recommend him. The essentially unfinished tank mode is a real downer. Seriously, it's a bad flaw, but the Fallen is still well worth having. Just about every other character in the Titanium line is a remake/new version of a previously existing character. This guy is not. And the deco is awesome. Pick him up if you find him.