Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark

Post by Sparky Prime »

Not sure where to put this given the game appears to be a cross over between the Aligned WFC/FOC video games and the movie universe...

Anyway, along with all the Toy Fair news, a new Transformers video game was announced. Unlike the previous WFC/FOC and Dark of the Moon video games, this one was not developed by Dark Moon Studios and instead created by Edge of Reality for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U, and Windows PC with the 3DS version developed by Wayforward. The game appears to be set on both Cybertron and Earth.

According to the press release, the game will feature over 40 playable characters featuring both a single player and co-op mode as well as an Escalation mode where up to four players can play at once. Not much is said about the story but the characters are looking for the Dark Spark, a relic described to be as powerful as the Matrix of Leadership, jumping back and forth between Earth and Cybertron in the hunt for it.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark

Post by Dominic »

This is probably the best place for discussion of "Rise of the Dark Spark". If it is proper cross-over, this is the correct forum. And, if it is just a vague mixing, neither Bay nor Aligned nor fish nor foul, then it also belongs here.

I was never any good at this type of game, so I am not sure I will be getting it.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm in. Assuming it'll still be made for the 360. I like and still play both WFC and FOC so this looks like it will be a nice addition to those games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

The game has been out for a little while now, haven't played it myself but I've seen some of the game play. It's basically half a WFC/FOC game and half a movie game. The two universes never interact with each other, other than the Dark Spark itself which is able to jump to different universes. Storywise, the Dark Spark is basically the Anti-Matrix of Leadership in that rather than knowledge it grants its user the ability to control time/space, although Megatron seems to use it like Dark Energon from the Prime series by taking control of fallen Autobots. The Cybertron segment takes place shortly before events of FOC, despite Megatron already being in the new body he gets half way through that game. I'm guessing the movie segment is supposed to take place towards the end of the film, but it really doesn't work in continuity. Looks like a decent enough game overall, but a bit lacking compared to the WFC/FOC games.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Reviews have not been kind.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Sparky Prime wrote:It's basically half a WFC/FOC game and half a movie game. The two universes never interact with each other, other than the Dark Spark itself which is able to jump to different universes.
Oh man, what a friggin' waste. I was so looking forward to a proper cross-over, with that debunked I'm now not sad I didn't go in for this.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I now have a theory that this probably began as an FOC sequel, until someone got the bright idea that it should have Movie crap shoved into it because of when it would be released. Or, someone knew that a Movie game wouldn't sell well on its own, so they shoved FOC stuff into it.

It's a shame the turn these have taken, WFC was actually pretty great for what it was.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Onslaught Six wrote:Or, someone knew that a Movie game wouldn't sell well on its own, so they shoved FOC stuff into it.
That's my guess. I don't think the DOTM tie-in game was recieved very well so they decided to try and make this one more interesting by throwing in some elements from the more successful WFC/FOC games... Only the result still isn't a game as good as those are.