Marvel/Transformers crossover

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Marvel/Transformers crossover

Post by Dominic »

I know that I have touched on this in another thread. But, the current discussion about IDW's upcoming "X-Files" banner-event money grab and where/how it will fit in with the respective properties got me thinking about this.

Back in '07, IDW and Marvel published a Transformers/Avengers crossover. (It sucked.) Even putting aside the question of why it did not fit with previous cross-overs between TF and 616 Marvel from the 80s, the '07 crossover was not consistent with either TF or then current Marvel comics.

The biggest problem on the TF side was the way that Ramjet was drawn (with a standard seeker helmet, similar to the toy's original package art, rather than the conehead). There is also the question of the Decepticons using McGuffins that they do not otherwise use in the main IDW books. On the Marvel side, the Avengers team consisted of membership that simply would not have existed at the time the story likely took place (shortly before "Civil War") and included characters (such as Doom) in ways that were contrary to the comics at the time.

Below is my assumed timeline if that crossover were to apply to both properties over time.

(late edit: added IDW cross-over thoughts.):

Using 2006, (the date of IDW's crossover with Marvel) as the zero point, but keeping the 4 year rule, we get:

2006: Decepticon "Infiltration" effort fosters discord in Eastern Europe. Avengers intervene. "Civil War" starts and ends. Skrull infiltration revealed. Osborn's reign begins. Annihilation Wave occurs in deep space.

2007:
Autobots and Decepticons continue to break from "Infiltration" protocols. Sunstreaker captured by humans. Headmaster experiments. Grimlock awakens and frees Dinobots. Osborn's reign ends with the Seige of Asgard. Sentry dies. Heroic Age begins. Avengers and X-Men clash.

2008: Decepticon make "big push", nearly defeating Autobots galaxy wide. Decepticons maraude across Earth. Megatron narrowly defeated. Earth's champions nowhere to be found???? Age of Ultron?

Given the contradictions with both Marvel and IDW TF, it is probably best to assume that the cross-over happened in an alternate timeline (where it can thankfully be ignored).

But, am I the only one who would want to see a *good* Marvel/TF crossover? (I am not saying it would be likely. I am just saying it would be nice.)
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Re: Marvel/Transformers crossover

Post by Almighty Unicron »

I think the real question is when we're going to have a Transformers/Bots Master crossover?