TFCC Subscription Service 2.0

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

TFCC Subscription Service 2.0

Post by BWprowl »

Alright, despite the fact that it took over half a year for the first attempt at subscription figures to start going out at all, FunPub’s still pushing forward with this idea, and they’ve revealed the first couple figures for the next year of this. And man if I’m not tempted, since they seem to be targeting me specifically with them, if anything. Treadshot from Warpath was an idea I was putting forward already back when we didn’t know which ‘Treadshot’ FP was going to be making for the ‘Invasion’ BotCon set. Treadshot’s probably my favorite ActionMaster, and the Warpath mold, in addition to being a great toy on its own, is a perfect fit for him. Then we’ve got Aligned Barricade, finally bringing Barricade out of the Movieverse in a form that isn’t a Bot Shot. Well goddamn, that’s something I’ve wanted since forever, and the toy gets it pretty perfect (head’s a little more cartoony than I would prefer, but I can deal).

So thoughts? I dunno, if all the other offerings are as squarely aimed at my personal tastes as these two so far, I might have to go all in. Granted, that’s extremely unlikely, and I’m not exactly crazy about having to pay $40 to join the Club in the first place for the privilege of paying MORE money to sign up for this service, though I suppose that would also net me the okay-looking repaint of Terradive as Depth Charge (on the other hand, I’d have actual physical David Willis comics being mailed to me, which I’m pretty sure constitutes postal terrorism in some states). Maybe I’ll just wait to see what else is coming from this, and if I only want 2 or 3 of them, I can snag them off eBay once they start shipping in 2015 or whenever.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: TFCC Subscription Service 2.0

Post by Shockwave »

My only experience with a toy subscription service was Mattel's MOTU Classics one and I'll never do that again. The last thing I need right now is to get stuck in a situation where I'm legally bound to buy toys every month that I can't afford to begin with.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It is all but guaranteed that the red and white Decepticon plane will be part of the subscription set. (I am seriously considering buying one of that figure.)
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:It is all but guaranteed that the red and white Decepticon plane will be part of the subscription set. (I am seriously considering buying one of that figure.)
Ah, you mean the creatively-named Red Wing? I actually hadn't considered that, but you've got a point. I still haven't managed to get ahold of BotCon Sunstorm (and given what I've heard about the QC on that set, it may be for the best).

If I end up going in for this, I may consider selling that one to you (there's a lot of 'if's in that equation, though).
Shockwave wrote:My only experience with a toy subscription service was Mattel's MOTU Classics one and I'll never do that again. The last thing I need right now is to get stuck in a situation where I'm legally bound to buy toys every month that I can't afford to begin with.
You're in luck then! TFCC charges you all at once for the subscription before they make good on the deal and start sending you the toys (okay, I think you can pay in like $100 installments, but it's still all paid for before the shipping starts)! That way Brian Savage has your money in case something goes awry, like his website's infrastructure completely collapsing, or Hasbro finally getting fed up with his bullshit and pulling the license, and he has to close up shop!
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

They won't get fed up with it though, because in spite of everything, it makes money. (Also, they also run the GI Joe club, which is where the guys running it actually give a shit.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

No thanks...

Personally,TFCC Subscription Service 2.0 Characters toys seems vastly inferior to 1.0.

I ain't paying 4 times or 5 times or 6 times the prices for glorified repaints with obsecure-obsecure TF characters toys that AREN'T Even on my top 200 wish list for homage new molds.

I'd rather INSTEAD pay tripple or quaddrupple prices for 3rd party not-TF toys. At the very least some of these are being done in Masterpiece type quality with super poseabilty,higher sculpts & some have diecast metal parts. Most of these 3rd party not-TF toys characters are ACTUALLY ON MY TOP 20 WISH LIST FOR HOMAGE NEW MOLDS.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Update: TFSS 2.0 Scout Class Rewind Revealed info with pics revealed. http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... led/28290/

TFCC writes below: TFSS 2.0 Update! With three reveals down, its time to roll out the final three reveals, all of which feature NEW head sculpts! The first new head sculpt comes courtesy of Nick Roche and was inspired his very popular version of… REWIND! Complete with his head camera, this figure is a must have for any fan, new or old! The base mold for the figure was never released in the U.S. so just another reason why we are excited to offer this figure to TCC members!

Next week we will be featuring a full week of TFSS 2.0 news and reveals! There is far more to the TFSS 2.0 than meets
the eye!

Stay tuned!

My 2 cents: No thanks,I am not willing to spend quadruple nor quintuple prices for glorified repaints that are so EXTREME-Obsecure that most are not even on my top 100 TF new mold homage toys wish list.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Okay. I want Ironfist and Rewind.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Onslaught Six wrote:Okay. I want Ironfist and Rewind.
I supose the main question needs to get asked. "Are you willing to pay the TFCC's insane quintuple+ prices for these repaints"?

Paying $50+ for TFCC deluxe sized Ironfist is paying Quadruple USA retail prices. Hasbro's TF deluxe toys sell for around $12 in USA retail stores.

Paying $50+ for TFCC Commander sized Rewind,Is paying Septuple/7X the USA retail price. As most Hasbro TF commander sized toys cost around $7 at USA retail stores.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

TFCC answers a few questions this weeekend regarding their TFSS 2.0 subscription figures for 2014 http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... ore/28304/

Seibertron.com: With the recent reveals of several Subscription Service 2.0 figures such as Barricade, Fisitron, and Treadshot, when can fans expect to see the rest of the reveals?

Transformers Collectors' Club: We just revealed Rewind yesterday, Sept 5th and we plan on the last two reveals over the next week and a half.

Seibertron.com: Many fans are intrigued by the inclusion of a bonus figure for next year's subscription service. Can you tell us about what lead to this decision and can you share any possible hints with us about who the 7th figure might be?

Transformers Collectors' Club: Doing a Voyager sized figure this year presented some challenges across the board so we decided to go down in size for that figure. As we were discussing character/mold choices we started thinking about basing the TFSS 2.0 a little more on the G.I. Joe version, which would mean including an "incentive" figure. Once we figured out the final line-up for the TFSS 2.0 we pretty much knew who the incentive figure would be. I hope people really dig a lll 6 figures and sign up for the full subscription because the bonus incentive 7th figure goes perfectly with another figure in the set!

Seibertron.com: During the Club's panel at BotCon 2013, it was mentioned that there had been some difficulty coming up with characters that Fun Pub could use for Subscription Service 2.0 because Hasbro already had plans for characters you guys had pitched. Can you tell us any characters that Hasbro said no-go to?

Transformers Collectors' Club: Can't really get in to that but I look forward to seeing what they have planned for the characters we were also thinking about.

Seibertron.com: The Club has created many new heads for the Club and BotCon exclusives over the years. If I recall correctly, I thought Fun Pub answered a question at a previous BotCon that the molds are destroyed for the new heads. Yet here we are receiving a G1 repaint of G2 Breakdown complete with the BotCon exclusive head, which I believe is the first time that a BotCon head has been reused a few years after its initial usage. Can we expect other BotCon and Club exclusive heads to popup again in the future? Is there more of any effort to save these molds for future use?

Transformers Collectors' Club: Initially, I understood it that the heads were done in a fashion that did not allow multiple uses. As it turns out, the heads are molded the same as with any other Hasbro produced item. So yes, if the situation calls for it, you may see a previous mold that we had engineered re-used down the road if it makes sense.

Seibertron.com: I'd personally love to see some weapons packs or accessory packs or unique accessories come out of the Club. I was a little bummed that BotCon 2013 Hoist didn't come with a remolded weapon or with a new accessory so that his alt mode could be a tow truck. Has Fun Pub considered making new accessories for upcoming exclusives or for existing Transformers figures or is this cost prohibitive?

Transformers Collectors' Club: Next week we will have a BIG reveal in regard to ANOTHER feature for the TFSS 2.0. We have been holding on to this news, but I think fans are going to be stoked when they find out what will be included with their TFSS 2.0 shipments. And we are talking more than just one add on!

Seibertron.com: With Scourge and Circuit, there were some issues with the figure rubbing against the inside of the box causing some minor paint damage to both figures. Scourge was easily fixed with a silver sharpie but Circuit is a little more difficult to restore. Would it be cheaper to bubble wrap the figures or place them in high quality bags like the loose figures are sold at BotCon instead of using the foam cutouts in order to better protect the paint on these high end exclusives? Is this issue being addressed for future releases?

Transformers Collectors' Club: Yes, we are working with the company that packaged these to ensure this does not happen again for the TFSS 2.0 offering.

Seibertron.com: Why are the figures being packaged with a custom foam cutouts? Are the cutouts more expensive than other packaging alternatives?

Transformers Collectors' Club: We find when implemented properly, this is the best way to ship these figures. We are constantly evaluating processes and improving them. Sometimes what we ask for is not implemented in the final version in China and we have no way to change it.

Seibertron.com: Are there any plans to have a box for Club members to purchase as an additional item for us to store our prized Club Subscription Service figures in? Is this something that might be an option for us later down the road?

Transformers Collectors' Club: We have talked about that. Maybe that is something we should poll people on. It's not a bad idea...

Seibertron.com: Being able to purchase Depth Charge on a sealed card at BotCon and through the Club's website was a nice surprise. Any possibility other Club or BotCon figures will be sold in this manner?

Transformers Collectors' Club: Transmutate, next years club exclusive (separate from the TFSS 2.0), will come in a collector box. That box will have a cutout where fans can store their Rampage figure. This worked out really well for Runabout/Runamuck and we think fans will dig having that option again.

Seibertron.com: A couple of us were wondering why the Club hasn't created any original characters recently instead of reusing familiar faces. Many of us have enjoyed the new and original characters and would like to see more of them such as Landshark and Nexus Prime (who ended up being used by Hasbro as one of the Original 13). Any chance we'll see a few original characters come out of the Club in the next year or so?

Transformers Collectors' Club: I think Landshark is great. Nexus Prime, part of Hasbro's "original 13 Transformers" line up, is also another really great character and the fact that we contributed to the 13 is very satisfying.

So, with that said, original characters can be a hard sell though. We did, however, reach back in to the vault when we released the cancelled Hasbro character, Toxitron. And that did well. So they can work, depending on their origin and how they are handled in fiction. Sometimes, rarer on new is not always "popular" so it is a very tricky decision. We think this idea works better in a set of figures rather than a one off.

We never want to get in to a formula where we never try new things. We don't wan't to just produce homages/updates. We like to take risks where it makes sense. Next week, when we reveal our 5th subscription figure, fans are going to see a character like they've never seen before in TF fiction. He's new, but "not new" at the same time. There is one part of the offering that has been widely popular for years, but NEVER in this way.

Let's just say, next week is going to be full of epic reveals...

Seibertron.com: While many fans are expecting BotCon 2014 to be very special because of the 30th anniversary, it's also a very special year because it's the 20th anniversary of BotCon. My how time flies. What can you tell us about special BotCon 20th Anniversary plans?

Transformers Collectors' Club: We are still working out all the details. The location coupled with the timing for the show allows us many great opportunities to celebrate 30 years of Transformers and 20 years of BotCon!

Seibertron.com: When can fans expect to hear an official announcement about the date and location of BotCon 2014?

Transformers Collectors' Club: When all the details are finalized. There are many different entities we have to work with to put the entire program together. If you announce it too early and then the details don't fall into place for the registration to start ... well then people get upset. Also we are in the middle of re-writing the entire Eventman system to add new features and to move to a different coding platform.

Seibertron.com: Thank you again to the Transformers Collectors' Club for taking time to answer a few questions for all of us here at Seibertron.com. We really appreciate you sharing some behind the