no "Infestation" this year?

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

no "Infestation" this year?

Post by Dominic »

Over the break, I realized that IDW has not announced an "Infestation" event for this year. Mind you, I am not complaining. But, I have to wonder how the second "Infestation" sold, and if that had anything to do with there being no "Infestation" this year.

Dom
-not one to complain about good news of course.....
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: no "Infestation" this year?

Post by Onslaught Six »

It wouldn't surprise me if it was "not very well." The first Infestation at least had guaranteed buyers from those who were reading the series it crossed over into, because it was canon. If you didn't read Infestation, you're probably wondering what happened to Kup and why he isn't on the Lost Light. By contrast, Infestation 2 was all standalones and non-canon stuff. (The TF one crossed over with Hearts of Steel, for Chrissake!)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The "Transformers" chapter from volume 1 was the only "obligatory" read from either "Infestation". The others were structured to be self-contained. It was not even clear if the "GI Joe" chapter counted towards the main series. (IDW gave contrary statements on that question.)

One friend of mine bought the book end issues and the TF chapters because he is a completist. (He is a completist by ownership, not by reading, and only reads "ReGeneration 1".)

I have to wonder how well "infestation" worked for IDW though. Guys like me went for the ride in the first year out of curiosity. I skipped most of the second, due the first one sucking. (I only bought the Joe chapter in the second year because the first year's Joe chapter was unexpectedly good.) Even in the case of the Joe or the 'Trek chapters, which were good, there was little reason for any long-term reader to follow the series back to the second book-end issue of either year, and even less incentive to go read IDW's in-house properties. (And, lets face it, that was the whole point of "Infestation".)

The second "Infestation" pushed IDW's house-books even harder. Regardless of the sale number on "Infestation", what kind of sales bumps did IDW's non-license books see? (The numbers are findable, I just do not feel like searching for them right now.) "Infestation" usually starts shipping by the middle of the first quarter, and it has not even been announced for this year. Hopefully, this means that there will be no more cross-overs.

Dom
-still annoyed that Kup's arc was resolved in a bad cross-over.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

I still say IDW's next 'Crossover' will have the Re-G1 versions of Transformers crossing over with the IDW-verse versions. You *know* they must be at least talking about it over there.

Or better yet, what if they have Transformers from both versions cross over into other IDW books, in an effort to boost sales of their concurrent titles like they did with the Infestations? Oh man, 'Trans-festation'? I'd laugh so hard.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Ohohohohoho. Prowl, you so crazy.

True story: A few days ago, Prowl texted me and said that IDW's big cross-over this year would be "Regeneration 1" and "Robots in Disguise". He sold it totally flat and legit. I bought it, and my blood pressure actually did spike for a moment.

I told Prowl that he had gone too far. (And, that was coming from a guy who once "acquired" a wrestler's social security number as part of a "rib".)

Dom
-seriously, there is such a thing as too far.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Or worse, the "Infestation" from the hearts of Steel universe will bleed over into the other two IDW continuities. Or three if you count "Prime".
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

While at the comic shop the other day, I realized that this year's "Infestation" is "Mars Attacks". Unlike previous years, where IDW uses a public domain non-property (such as Lovecraft or zombies) to link their in-house to their licensed properties, this year IDW is using a license to seed their in-house properties.

All things considered, this is a better model, as it is less intrusive for the fans of the license, and the indy-fans only have to worry about one part of the stupid event.

Dom
-still marvel's at how bad the first "Infestation" TF chapters were...