fan club newsletter issues 45 and 46

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

fan club newsletter issues 45 and 46

Post by Dominic »

Yup, I hung out at Lewis' last night. While watching the first episode of "Arrow", (a really bad combination of teen wangsty drama and bad superhero movie), I opened my China exclusive "Generations" figures, looked over both SDCC and retail Bruticus and flipped through the most recent fan club newsletters.

I did not bother to punish myself by reading these issues cover to cover. There are some self-serving puff-pieces that make Games Workshop's "White Dwarf" magazine look like hard hitting gaming news. And, David Willis is still contributing sub-par comics.

The main comic feature is a continuation of the 2010 "Timelines" issue. There are a couple of good, if fannish, ideas in the comics. The "Generation 2" Go-Bots that share names with G1 characters are "clones" of those characters created by Jhiaxus. I am still not sure how cloning works with robots, nor am I sure how Jhiaxus would have managed to copy the programming of said characters, especially given that several of them are dead at that point in the "Wings" setting. I get the impression that "the guys with old names are clones" is how Wittenrich and maybe other members of the fan club reconciled these toys in to their collections 20 years ago. (Nightracer is also a clone of the real one. So, uh, it is not really Nightracer in the fan club comics.) If the execution were better, these comic might actually be worth reading.

Grade: C/D

Dom
-will talk more about the toys in the appropriate threads.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Re: fan club newsletter issues 45 and 46

Post by Mako Crab »

Yeah. Sounds like the usual BS fanwank job that the convention comics normally put out. Convention comic, fan club newsletter- same diff.