Japanese Power Core Combiners (United)

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Japanese Power Core Combiners (United)

Post by Dominic »

It is all in Japanese. But, pictures are universal.

http://blog.yahoo.com/_ED274AZGFINLESDV ... 8597/index

If these were US releases, I would be in for all of them. But, with import fees being what they are likely to be, and my own wanting to cut back, I am skipping most of these.

Thoughts based on pictures (using American names):

-Destructicons: Not bad. But, I have an extra set for customizing and have no need for another copy of the Commander body, especially when I am still technically looking for the wave 5 US recolour.

-Dinobots: Really nice looking in terms of colours. But, not quite nice enough to import. (If I did not have the US set, I would likely be more interested in these.)

-Rallybots: I really like the colours on these. It is almost tempting to order a set to see if the different plastic helps with the joint tolerance issues.

-Sledge/Skyhammer: Very nice looking set. It would have been nice to see different Minicons with the Commanders. But, there is not a bad thing in that set. I am in.

-Constructicons: Very tempting. I am in. (If these guys are Autobots, it would also even off any displays I set up.)

-Destrons: Unless these end up being significantly recoloured and look much better than the American set, I will be skipping this one. (That 'copter leg would be almost enough to deter me even at discounted US prices.)

-Heavytread/Undertow: Two excellent Commanders, one solid Minicon and one Minicon that might be improved with different quality plastic. I am probably in. Not unreasonable speculation assumes that Undertow will be recoloured as Manta Ray, which puts paid to my plan to customize one.

Dom
-notes that these are too expensive for custom fodder.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Japanese Power Core Combiners (United)

Post by Dominic »

Just about the only good thing that I can think of to say about this is that it will help me save money.

http://www.allspark.com/content/view/10631/37/

While it is not as obnoxious as what Fun Publications produces, the "United" PCC back-story stinks like a fanfic. There is no way that I am paying import prices for toys with that sort of context.

Dom
-can more easily justify Twincast now....maybe.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

...I can't actually find any backstory. Some dudes fight each other and that's about it. Bad pack-in material, sure, but it's not like it's worse than, say, those Target-exclusive minicomics from DOTM.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

That pack-material is the back-story. "The PCC characters are all old guys with new names....with more Easter Eggs than a TFCC comic."

That pretty much kills any interest I had in the line. (Some of the toys look really nice. But, Dimension hopping Straxus is just too stupid an idea to get behind, especially considering that these toys are imports.)

Dom
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Eh. I don't care about that. These things are way too expensive anyway.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Paying $74.99 for Takara's power core combiners,is the import scalpers ripp off of the year. The Hasbro PCC 5 pack gift sets cost from $15 to $20. the PCC 5 pack gift sets went on sale for $10 to $15 literally 10+times in one year,so it was extremely easy to get in on these sales,even on-line.

I really hate & loathe those Takara Japanese bio tech spec TF stories. the guys writting them seem like the same writters who wrote the binal tech & alternity bio tech stories. these takara writers go into these insane long soap opera type crazy rants worse than simon furman did on his marvel G-1 TF comic book stories run.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Yeah, it reads like a fanfic. The Japanese market seems to reward bad behavior even more than the American market though.

But, hey, this makes it easier to skip expensive toys. (Seriously. The back of the box content has made me not want these toys, despite the fact that I like the moulds.)

Dom
-kind of offended that people are getting professional credit for piss-poor work product.