PCC Stunticons

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

PCC Stunticons

Post by Dominic »

I got these from Scourge a while ago.

Over-run w/drones: robot/forumula racer

The commander is recolour of PCC Leadfoot. Generally, recolours have substantially different colours (either from "hot" to "cold" sides of the spectrum or opposite sides of the colour wheel). But, in this case, Over-run's base plastic is yellow to Leadfoot's (light) orange. The purple, (in place of the white on Leadfoot), makes the two figures a bit more distinctive. But, at first glance, they look similar enough that I have to thing there will be some confusion about tomorrow's collectors about which is which, to say nothing of mis-labelled eBay auctions.

For a recolour set, OverRun and his drones are fairly consistent. They are out of scale to each other, but no more than other purpose made sets. And, while not perfectly unified in terms of appearance, they are closer than the Protectobots or Destrons. The arms are recoloured from the Rallybot arms and the legs are from the Destructicon set.

Over-run is coloured like Dragstrip, but his file card describes him as being similar to Wildrider in temperment, volatile and unpredictable.

If you can get this set shipped for $30 or less, do it.

Grade: B

And, with that, I have all of the Combiner sets, and all but one PCC set. (The only set that I am missing is Salvage w/Bomb-burst.)

I really miss this line. Even the recolours were a huge amount of fun in terms of fiddle value. If Hasbro had been willing to give it a bit more time, they probably could have done amazing things with PCC. I generally found things to like in every set. And, even a bum set usually had something good to it. Given that the whole point of PCC was inter-combination, it was possible to take the best from each set and make something truly great.

Just for the hell of it, here are my "best of" thoughts. (It is possible that Salvage or Bomb-burst would change this, especially given how much I like the moulding on Bomb-burst. But, I do not have them, and have only seen them once over Lewis' hosue, so this list is not factoring them in.)

Best Commander class set:
Huffer and Caliburst
I am really torn on this one. Leadfoot and Pinpointer are a solid set. Undertow and Waterlog are a good example of what the line could have become. Huffer, Leadfoot and Undertow all have solid robot modes. Undertow has the best vehicle mode. And, all 3 have good torso modes. But, in the end, Caliburst puts Huffer over. Caliburst has an alternate mode that can stand alone, (as a gun turret), while Pinpointer needs a Commander to connect to (and only looks good on certain figures) and Waterlog does not have a meaningful alternate mode to speak of.

Best Commander:
Heavy Tread
To be honest, the only reason I am doing "best of" for split sets is because of Heavy Tread. As much as I like the Commander figure, the Minicon is bad enough to make it hard, if not impossible, to justify calling it the best set.

Best Minicon:
Airlift
This is another difficult choice. As much as I love Pinpointer and Waterlog, I have to give it to Airlift, if only just barely.

Best Combiner class set:
The Constructicons
This set is arguably the most unified in terms of appearance and scale. Steamhammer looks good as a robot and vehicle. And, the torso mode is nicely complimented by the included drones. All of the drones look good individually. The Destructicons deserve and honourable mention here. But, the Constructicon arms not only have hands, but reversible thumbs.

Best Drone team:
Rallybots
As bad as the Commander is, the drones for this set are pretty good. And, they fit nicely with Huffer or Stakeout.

Best Drone:
Combaticon land-ship.
I really like WWI era tank designs. And, the fact that the arm mode not only has a hand of sorts, but also looks good puts it over for me. I actually bought the Protectobots partially to get the recolour.

Dom
-needs to get crackin' on that game.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Re: PCC Stunticons

Post by Tigermegatron »

I created my own PCC stunticons. using the black truck as the core both & the 4 rally bots as the stunticons. I even put decepticons repro labels faction symbols on all of them.