Energon discussion thread (spoilers)

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
onslaught86

Re: Energon discussion thread (spoilers)

Post by onslaught86 »

Kicker secretly prefers punching!
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

HA! Prefers punching, that was a good one.

This isn't like Harry Potter 7 where it's fairly recent and the movie hasn't come out, Energon is over and done with 4 years ago.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Heh, I have one of those spoiler shirts with the endings to many popular movies and the like, one of them is "Snape kills Dumbledore".
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

And, Hedwig dies.

Dom
-notes the book has been out for over a year.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I hate Harry Potter anyway. More on the grounds that its publicity is undeserved and it shamelessly appealing to basic escapist fantasies (Rowling: "I did it to make money.") than it being terrible, per se. It's just not original, and there are better alternatives out there.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The first 4 were competently written. Around book 5 though, Rowling editor's took a holiday and her writing became bloated and tedious. If book seven was not the last book, (albeit one with a good deal of sequel fodder), I would have given up with book 5 or maybe 6.

Dom
-thinks Dumbledor was made gay to sell more books, rather than write new ones.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Dominic wrote:Dom
-thinks Dumbledor was made gay to sell more books, rather than write new ones.
THANK you. She knew what the fangirls wanted to hear, so she said it. That character was NEVER intended to be gay. None of them were. I don't think even the non-white characters were that way until her agent showed her a 1930s picture book of The Far and Mysterious East.

"CHO CHANG"? SRSLY?!
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I do not know that it was fan-girls who wanted Dumbledor to be gay so much as it was the "we can read what we want into this book no matter what the author says" crowd. (They tend to be female more than male yes, but they range in age from pre-teen to elderly.) And, it is hip to be queer. I guarantee, HP is on more than a few more reading lists after that big-reveal, and has a new kind of respectability for it.

Dom
-"Far and Mysterious East", hilarious.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Search for "Dumbledore x Grindelwald" on DeviantArt (or wherever, I'm generalising), pre- the date of the former's "outing", and you'll see why I said fangirls, specifically.

Gom
-Wishes it was as ok to ship female characters with each other, without being called misogynist.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I think the complaints about lesbians in comics and such has more to the do with the types of lesbians shown. For example, the lipstick lesbians of DC Comics are considered misogynist because they are clearly intended to titilate being hyper-feminized. On the other hand, gay men in fiction do not tend to be hyper-masculinized (and are thus likelyto be less interesting sexually), aside from ironic comedy. (Mind you, I have not read, nor do I intend to read, any of that Dumbledor fic, so I may be wrong on this specific example.)

Dom
-remembers the Northstar Affair back in the '90s.