Let's talk about RID for a bit.

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Let's talk about RID for a bit.

Post by Onslaught Six »

Today marks, apparently, RID's tenth anniversary. Let's all BS about it for a bit!

I think once I have Internet again, I'm going to download the series and watch through some of it.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Re: Let's talk about RID for a bit.

Post by Gomess »

First "Japanese TF" show to be dubbed and shown in the west(?). It showed, too. Although some of the voices were pretty cool. Not many, though.

I did enjoy the simple, self-contained nature of the story. That's something I've always wanted more of in the bloated, confused, puking-on-itself franchise that is Transformers fiction.

Evil can't stand up to the emails of children.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

First "Japanese TF" show to be *legitimately* dubbed and shown in the west(?).
Fixed.

I hated the show. It was....bad. Bad voices, iffy animation and dodgy plot.

But, oh, the toys. They were glorious. I was damned near a completist with the line using what I think is the most reasonable standard any of us are likely to come up with...."buying the ones I liked".

Seriously. The only toys I disliked from this line were the recoloured Carrios and the Build Team, and that had more to do with the fact that I kept finding them when I was looking for other things.

I missed a few of the rare tail-enders and one of the trains. And, I sold some of them. But, there are plenty of RiD toys that I kept. That line had at least one mould from each previous line. RiD left me annoyed with how much I liked "Armada" because I wanted to end toy collecting with RiD.

Dom
-should probably go dig out the Predacons.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I loved the show and the toys that were newly created for the line. Some of the repaints were well thought-out. The show is Transformers as a comedy, and it's generally pretty funny. It does start out slow and pick up as the series goes on.

I taped the episodes when they aired. I started copying them to DVD once. I'd really like an official DVD release to get the episodes that never aired thanks to 9/11.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:I hated the show. It was....bad. Bad voices, iffy animation and dodgy plot.
Oh, come on, Dom! The show was one of the best parts. The voice acting wasn't exactly blowing anyone away but it was more than adequate--Neil Kaplan does a great Optimus Prime IMO, enough that I was very disappointed in the fact that Gary Chalk was back for Armada and beyond. Skybyte is a great character. The Combaticons and Scourge were always a legitimate threat and everything about the Autobots, I loved.
But, oh, the toys. They were glorious. I was damned near a completist with the line using what I think is the most reasonable standard any of us are likely to come up with...."buying the ones I liked".
This is a problem because I liked every toy in the line. RID is the only line I hope to one day complete, repaints and all.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

RID was by far one of my favorite versions of Transformers. The toys were awesome and got back to "real" vehicle modes after years of beast only/cybertronian alt modes. Which was why for me, it kinda got back to it's roots with the whole robots "in disguise" concept where they were actually disguising themselves as legitimate vehicles. It's one of the things that attracted me to the franchise to begin with and I found that wonder again after nearly ten years of that being absent from the franchise. I also liked the show, particularly how over the top it was and how everyone would have to shout what attack they were making at the top of their lungs before they did it. It was great. Also, pissed off Magnus. Dunno why that appeals to me so much but it does.

Oh and of course, there's Scourge.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Shockwave wrote:I also liked the show, particularly how over the top it was and how everyone would have to shout what attack they were making at the top of their lungs before they did it. It was great.
LEFT SHOULDER THRUST!

...Right shoulder Ramjet?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

"We REALLY shouldn't be announcing our attack strategy."
"Rush him!"
"Damn it Goku!"

I enjoyed the show well enough, although I will say I think it could have been a little less over the top. The toys remain some of the best I think Transformers has done. They have among the most unique transformations and designs. And it's interesting how they brought in toys from other eras of the franchise.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Just haven't got around to catching the show yet, but from what I've heard about it, I approve. The toys, I didn't get into much. I was pretty much out of the whole TF thing when they were coming out. I've picked up a few since, Megatron, three damn Scourges, Bruticus, and now Tow-Line. And the Build Team, which I had permanently mixed feelings about. Sometimes I really liked 'em, sometimes I thought they were horribly irritating.

I'm not going near any of the Car Brothers, though. Those things look like huge pains in the ass to transform.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

138 Scourge wrote:I'm not going near any of the Car Brothers, though. Those things look like huge pains in the ass to transform.
They look it what with being assymetrical and all but they're really not. And adding the assymetry kind of adds something unexpected to it. Like when you look at the vehicle mode and you expect that it would transform one way, but it actually is completely different, the designs were kinda refreshing in that aspect.