Best and Worst of "Armada":

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Re: Best and Worst of "Armada":

Post by Tigermegatron »

I'm not a fan of the armada toys.

the only armada toys i'd recommend for others to get is unicron & tidalwave.

Armada sideways is a really great toy. too bad the cartoon never used the 2 headmasters to thier full potential. which would have been having the 2 headmasters minicons being created by unicron for the sole purpose of controlling a transformers & forcing him to be a loyal servant of unicron.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

As big a deal as Unicron was back in '03, I cannot acutally say it is a good toy. (The wings/planet-shell are just too cumbersome for my liking.)

Dom
-still worshipping at the shrine to Demolishor.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote:As big a deal as Unicron was back in '03, I cannot acutally say it is a good toy. (The wings/planet-shell are just too cumbersome for my liking.)

Dom
It's a good toy, it's just not quite as good a transforming toy as it could perhaps have been. But I'm still pretty enthused about Armada Unicron, even after all this time. It's a pretty good effort. And it's probably more fun than Primus, even though Primus is the better planet-former by far.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Tigermegatron wrote:
Armada sideways is a really great toy.
I dunno, man. I had that thing at one point, and it was one of the least impressive Transformers I've ever owned. Different tastes and all, of course, and I love some toys that sane rational people would look at and go "Really, this?" about, but damn. Sideways was rough.
andersonh1 wrote:
Dominic wrote:As big a deal as Unicron was back in '03, I cannot acutally say it is a good toy. (The wings/planet-shell are just too cumbersome for my liking.)

Dom
It's a good toy, it's just not quite as good a transforming toy as it could perhaps have been. But I'm still pretty enthused about Armada Unicron, even after all this time. It's a pretty good effort. And it's probably more fun than Primus, even though Primus is the better planet-former by far.
Tough call. I really liked Primus, he had great detail, a fun transformation, and just overall looking amazing going for him. Unicron's a lot more...he's plainer, it seems. Way less detail, kind of a fail as a planet, but he's got the iconic character appeal going for him, because his character was still really exciting back then, and it's a pretty fantastic robot. I couldn't say which one of the two I prefer.

Stupid thought, too, as to Unicron's lack of detail...Primus is all detailed up because you can look at him and see cities and whatnot. Unicron, on the other hand, is completely unpopulated, why wouldn't he just be all metal deserts and whatnot? Another stupid thought...I really want to write a TF comic story in which Unicron's population shows up.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

DDP's "Transformers"/GI Joe" volume 4 did it already. The Unicron Trilogy arguably covered taht as well.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I think Scourge meant that he'd want a "good" story written about Unicron's populace. Personally, I've always liked that he didn't have a "population". It served to illustrate the ideological differences between Primus and Unicron. Primus became a planet and created life, while Unicron who wants to consume and eliminate all life didn't have life on his "surface".
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I don't even think the differences were ideological, but biological. (In a sense, anyway.) Primus can create life, while Unicron can only corrupt it.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

You're probably right. I kinda just pulled that comparison out of my ass anyway.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Shockwave wrote:I think Scourge meant that he'd want a "good" story written about Unicron's populace. Personally, I've always liked that he didn't have a "population". It served to illustrate the ideological differences between Primus and Unicron. Primus became a planet and created life, while Unicron who wants to consume and eliminate all life didn't have life on his "surface".
in the galaxy force/cybertron cartoon series. It vaguely implies that planet X where soundwave & sideways come from was Unicron.
So perhaps in the Cybertron/GF alternate universe Unicron has life living on it's planet surface.

It's abundantly clear from other alternate universes. that Unicron creates life but sends them out into the universe to wreak havok,harvest energon & do his bidding. examples are his trio of loyal servants like galvatron,scourge,Cyclonus. that trio of servants from the marvel G-1 comics called "hook", line" & "sinker". the BWNEO fuzors. the armada DW comics 4 horsemen warriors.
in Armada, unicron created a whole swarm/nest of minicons as slaves then they revolted,freed themselves & forced allianced with some transformers. it's assumed for a brief period those minicons lived on unicron or inside unicron until they revolted,freed themselves & left.

I think Unicron does have some type of life inside his planet/robot forms. as clearly seen in the 1986 TF movie. where you can see stuff attacking the transformers who entered inside unicron. are those things controlled by unicron or do those things control themselves & protect their master isn't really known.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I always the assumed that the claw tentacles in the '86 movie were some kind of defense/immune system.

If you go with the idea that Unicron is part of a universal cycle, (an idea that would be more tolerable if the franchise had a better mean/average for writing), the idea of him creating or re-constituting life would be less silly.

Dom
-wonders if "Sideways" is a class more than a character.