UT Minicon list

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: UT Minicon list

Post by Dominic »

None of the "Cybertron" Minicons unlocked gimmicks. (This includes the Giant Planet guys and Safeguard, all of which were purpose made for their Bulk partners.)

Laserbeak is specifically called a Minicon on Soundwave's packaging. Optimus' and Demolishor's keys work like Minicons in that they can unlock Minicon gimmicks. (If Hasbro had gone the extra mile, they could have moulded the backs of the keys to have Energon Star plugs as well.)

The tapes are called Minicons, like it or not. (Of course, I really do not have to worry about them as they were never released in UT packaging.)
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:None of the "Cybertron" Minicons unlocked gimmicks. (This includes the Giant Planet guys and Safeguard, all of which were purpose made for their Bulk partners.)
Unlocking gimmicks has nothing to do with it. If that were the case, any Mini-Con NOT packaged with a bulk wouldn't count under these requirements, since they don't even have bigger guys to unlock gimmicks ON. Being a small, transforming robot with a Powerlinx port molded in, that's the definition.
Laserbeak is specifically called a Minicon on Soundwave's packaging.
I just perused through DvD's write-up on Cybertron Soundwave, nothing about Laserbeak being a Mini-Con, he's simply referred to as a 'companion' on the packaging. Considering that Cybertron had actual Mini-Cons in it, with characters from Giant Planet (whom Soundwave was released around the same time as) having Powerlinx pegs and everything, it stands out a lot more that they went out of their way to NOT make Laserbeak a Mini-Con (do any Mini-Cons have non-humanoid robot modes?). Laserbeak even pegs onto Soundwave via explicitly non-Powerlinx means, him having his own peg that goes into specific spots on Soundwave (the tops of his wings, and his arm), again with them clearly going out of their way to make Laserbeak un-Mini-Con-like.
Optimus' and Demolishor's keys work like Minicons in that they can unlock Minicon gimmicks. (If Hasbro had gone the extra mile, they could have moulded the backs of the keys to have Energon Star plugs as well.)
If you're insane enough to count Optimus and Demolishor's keys as Mini-Cons, then you logically have to count every Energon weapon that had a Powerlinx port as a Mini-Con as well. Good luck with that.
The tapes are called Minicons, like it or not. (Of course, I really do not have to worry about them as they were never released in UT packaging.)
And Side Burn's name is really Speedbreaker in the US, right? Hasbro goofs sometimes. Or they just plum don't care. A little consideration has to be given to things.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

BWprowl wrote:I just perused through DvD's write-up on Cybertron Soundwave, nothing about Laserbeak being a Mini-Con, he's simply referred to as a 'companion' on the packaging.
Dom is correct, there is a bullet point on the back of the box that says "Bomb converts to Laserbeak Mini-Con". But I'd really have to agree with your definition of a Mini-Con is: A small, transforming robot with a Powerlinx port. I wouldn't say aberrant references on the back of the toys box really counts.