Who owns RiD?

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
andersonh1

Re: Who owns RiD?

Post by andersonh1 »

Tigermegatron wrote:Hasbro is foolish & cheap for not jumping at the change to spend the meager pocket change to hire voice actors & a effects studio to translate the Headmasters,masterforce & victory series into english then air them on the hub network. Doing this can't be that exspesive nor hard nor time consuming considering nick,CN & Disney doing it all the time world wide for all their cartoons their air on the networks.
Sounds pretty expensive to me, honestly. In addition to paying the voice actors, there is the question of the musical score and sound effects. They would be re-making the entire soundtrack from scratch. Admittedly that's what they did for RID, but RID was promoting the toyline that was in-stores at the time. Headmasters, Masterforce, et al are old shows for old product. There's bound to be far less return on the investment.

And honestly, having watched the DVDs, I prefer the approach that Shout Factory took. Those shows aren't American, they're Japanese, and the whole tone and style of storytelling is different. I'd rather see them in as authentic a form as possible. The subtitles have to be there for me to understand what's being said, and I like having the characters referred to by their US names (which I guess would be the one exception to my desire for authenticity), but otherwise I like the shows as they were originally produced.
BWprowl wrote:
andersonh1 wrote:I want that show on DVD. I've been digitizing my old VHS off-air tapes, but I want the whole thing in Region 1 DVD, including the episodes that never aired. I hope someone figures the rights out and releases it in the US.
This is the primary reason I'm asking about it. I mean, if I really want to watch through RiD again, I'm sure I could just pirate it from somewhere, but being able to get it on official, dedicated DVD would be nice.
I'm not a big fan of pirating. I guess technically I could say that I'm not taking things I don't own if I downloaded the episodes since I do have most of the episodes as off-air recordings, but I'd still rather have that official DVD set. That would be my preference.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

and I like having the characters referred to by their US names (which I guess would be the one exception to my desire for authenticity)
See, this is where you and I differ. On the one hand, for some characters it's completely inconsequential--Landmine, for example, is pretty much inconsequential. On the other end, though, you get guys like...well, Squeezeplay, who is a human child who goes around with a name like 'Squeezeplay.' And it's even inconsistently done! Sometimes, they still call him Cancer!

(I realize 'Cancer' might not be the best name for a kid either, but Japan is weird about names.)

I'm at least glad that they had the decency to keep Ginrai as Ginrai, though, and not try and make him Optimus Prime somehow.
I'm not a big fan of pirating. I guess technically I could say that I'm not taking things I don't own if I downloaded the episodes since I do have most of the episodes as off-air recordings, but I'd still rather have that official DVD set. That would be my preference.
See, I'm all for it, but especially when it's something that just plain isn't available. I have money! I would willingly hand it over to whoever owns RID if they would 'let' me.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Onslaught Six wrote:See, this is where you and I differ. On the one hand, for some characters it's completely inconsequential--Landmine, for example, is pretty much inconsequential. On the other end, though, you get guys like...well, Squeezeplay, who is a human child who goes around with a name like 'Squeezeplay.' And it's even inconsistently done! Sometimes, they still call him Cancer!

(I realize 'Cancer' might not be the best name for a kid either, but Japan is weird about names.)
I was going to say, Cancer's not much of an improvement! I tend to think of it as the Decepticon headmaster juniors taking on the names of the transtectors, giving up their human identities and being absorbed into the Decepticon cause, while the Autobot headmaster juniors retain their own names.

The naming choices made sense to me. If the character had the same deco as the Hasbro release, he got Hasbro's US name. If he was different, he got the Japanese name. A character who was important to the plot and obviously could not be renamed (Ginrai is obviously not Optimus Prime) also retained their original name. I think those two standards for naming or renaming are generally consistent, apart from the odd mistake here and there.
I'm at least glad that they had the decency to keep Ginrai as Ginrai, though, and not try and make him Optimus Prime somehow.
There was no way to do that. He's clearly an entirely seperate character.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

andersonh1 wrote:I'm not a big fan of pirating. I guess technically I could say that I'm not taking things I don't own if I downloaded the episodes since I do have most of the episodes as off-air recordings, but I'd still rather have that official DVD set. That would be my preference.
I'm generally not a fan of it either. It usually takes F O R E V E R to download something like an entire series and then it's a further pain in the ass to convert it to some sort of format that will be watchable on a tv. I would much rather prefer to go buy a dvd set and just stick it in the player. Plus, dvd sets usually have cool extras like making of features and interviews with actors and writers and what not. Which pirated versions usually don't have.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:I'm generally not a fan of it either. It usually takes F O R E V E R to download something like an entire series and then it's a further pain in the ass to convert it to some sort of format that will be watchable on a tv. I would much rather prefer to go buy a dvd set and just stick it in the player. Plus, dvd sets usually have cool extras like making of features and interviews with actors and writers and what not. Which pirated versions usually don't have.
Depends on your connection, really. With enough seeds, I've had torrents of shows come through to me in a matter of minutes.

As for watching things on your TV, converting isn't a big deal if you just stream. You have a PS3, yeah? You might look into downloading a media server that'll let you stream stuff straight from the computer to the console. I've got one, it's awesome.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

BWprowl wrote:
Shockwave wrote:I'm generally not a fan of it either. It usually takes F O R E V E R to download something like an entire series and then it's a further pain in the ass to convert it to some sort of format that will be watchable on a tv. I would much rather prefer to go buy a dvd set and just stick it in the player. Plus, dvd sets usually have cool extras like making of features and interviews with actors and writers and what not. Which pirated versions usually don't have.
Depends on your connection, really. With enough seeds, I've had torrents of shows come through to me in a matter of minutes.

As for watching things on your TV, converting isn't a big deal if you just stream. You have a PS3, yeah? You might look into downloading a media server that'll let you stream stuff straight from the computer to the console. I've got one, it's awesome.
Downloading bit torrents is always risky as your computer & servers are exposed so others can grab the seeds & download the stuff. bit torrents need to be constantly seeded so that others can keep downloading the stuff. NO THANKS TO ANY OF THAT,I AIN'T LETTING IN NO HACKERS,MALICIOUS PEOPLE OR EVEN REGULAR PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW INTO MY COMPUTER PRTOGRAMS NOR SERVERS.

Not seeding afterwards & not leaving a open port is frowned upon & deemed a low life in the bit torrent download members world.

Anyways bit torrents are now deemed as old software tech. I'd rather head on over to Ioffer.com & buy a entire series from bootlegers selling those DVDS for pennies to the dollar.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Tigermegatron wrote:Not seeding afterwards & not leaving a open port is frowned upon & deemed a low life in the bit torrent download members world.
That must be me, since I almost always immediately discontinue my seeding and move the media into a proper folder once I'm done torrenting it. And man, I can just *feel* all those other bittorrent users frowning at me! But I'll carry on somehow.
Anyways bit torrents are now deemed as old software tech. I'd rather head on over to Ioffer.com & buy a entire series from bootlegers selling those DVDS for pennies to the dollar.
So wait, bittorrent=old tech, but DVDs=still fresh and relevent? What kooky, Archer-esque decade are we living in here?

Anyway, considering almost every group that releases, say, fansubs of stuff does so primarily via torrents and I get plenty of seeds on all this stuff, I'd say it invalidates your 'old tech/not relevent' theory.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I have been known to seed things with a low amount if I spent a particularly long time trying to find it. (I seeded RID for about a month after I downloaded it, just because there were only 2 other people doing so when I found it.)

And yeah, totally get a media server--I use TVersity to stream all kinds of stuff to my TV. If you can finangle it right, you can even watch friggin' YouTube on it.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.