From 1996 thru 2012 pick your favorite new mold combiners.

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

From 1996 thru 2012 pick your favorite new mold combiners.

Post by Tigermegatron »

from 1996 thru 2012,pick your favorite & not favorite new mold TF combiners. please no recolors nor reissues from G-1.

If it combines then it counts.

PLEASE lets not get technical,lets just count the actual toy mold. please don't get overly technical & start choosing the better recolor & listing the ugly recolors in your least favorite list.

Yes,3rd party combiners count.

My list of 1996 thru 2012 new mold combiners favorites are as follows:

Beastwars 1997 Magnaboss.

Beastwars 1997 Tripredacus.

Beastwars Neo Magmatron

Car robots/Rid JRX/railracer

Car Robots/Rid God-fire-convoy/omega prime.

Energon/classics/movie,All three 5-in-1 combiners,All the energon autobots voyager combiners. energon deluxe convoy & deluxe rodimus combiner.

Micron-Dentsu/Armada/energon Tidalwave/Shockwave,which is a show accurate colored armada tidalwave.

Cybertron leader sized optimus+leobreaker+wingsabre.

ROTF Legends size combiner Devestator.

ROTF Leader sized optimus prime & Leader sized Jetfire Combiner

Power core combiners,I loved all the 2packs & 5packs gift sets.

3rd party protector,deluxe rodimus with trailer armor that forms a voyager sized rodimus prime toy in both modes.

3rd party city commander,voyager sized ultra magnus+trailer armor,forms a ultra sized toy in both modes.

3rd party Giant,in Generation one colors.

2012 Generations/FOC Combaticons/Bruticus.

My List of 1996 thru 2012 NOT-FAVORITE combiners are as follows:

Car robot/Rid/classics Build team/landfill. Such a awfully designed toy in all modes. the sculpts look like their were geared towards toddlers. the combined form looked like a mess. worse combination engineering i've ever seen.

Armada Leader sized Optimus Prime+Jetfire+Overload. All three toys were brick-formers with limited articulation. the combined form had almost no articulation.

Armada,minicons trio weapons combiners & trio perceptor combiner.

energon trio perceptor combiner.

Energon leader sized optimus prime combiner. it looked like a power ranger.

Energon Omega Optimus. this thing a hideou,lame-0 & seemed like a last minute effort. referring to the optimus prime toy that fits inside the supreme omega supreme toy.

ROTF Ultimate size Devestator. looked like six toddler super heavy plastic tonka playschool vechicles that merged to form devestator. the combined mode was extremly mis-proprtions. it looked like a gorrila with long arms & short legs. the combined mode had serious egineering problems in the hips/legs section. it was a challenge to get it to stand up stable in robot mode. it had no individual robot modes to save hasbro money & to keep the toy simple so toddlers could easily play with it. it was designed as the ultimate toddler chistmas gift.

Armada Megatron & Tidalwave combiner. both toys were awesome on their own merits. combining them made them look like garbage. the tidalwave parts were too over sized & heavy for megatron.

3rd party Hercules,i'm not fond of the design sculpts in neither of the three modes. Toys in all modes are a bit over sized & out of scale for my preferred taste.

STUFF,I DON'T HATE NOR LIKE,THEY JUST FALL IN THE MEDIOCRE MIDDLE.

Energon 2-in-1 Deluxe Combiners. Some deluxer sculpts are just awful. some combined modes take away articulation. too much kibble in combined modes. some deluxes are decent like downshift,rodimus. some combined modes have decent poseabilty

Energon Optimus Prime+Wingsabre combiner in both modes. the combined modes look decent. the problem is the optimus prime toy is a awfully sculpted toy. wingsabre is a beautifully sculpted toy but has almost zero articulated moving joints.

Armada Overload,it's a combiner because the front basic sized truck cab/bot merges with the trailer to form a super robot & super alt mode. Personally I love the Sculpt & gimmicks in all modes. I really hate the fact hasbro made this with almost no articulated moving parts. had this been super poseable it's would have been awesome.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: From 1996 thru 2012 pick your favorite new mold combiner

Post by Shockwave »

Alright, I'll bite. But, I'm going to define combiner as being two separate characters that merge to one, not one character merging with pieces of altmode. PCC could be a grey area but, I think on a world populated by sentient robots, drones would be analogous to pets so PCC counts. But, City Commander and Protector would be out.

Favorite: JRX/Railracer and Omega Prime. For me it's really a tie. I love both of these molds.

Least favorite: ROTF Devastator. Seriously. There is no reason a toy that large to have no robot modes is just unforgiveable.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Having just got ShockTrek's JRX, it certainly is a piece of work. Damn. Just transforming and combining that thing reminded me of why I loved RID.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Onslaught Six wrote:Having just got ShockTrek's JRX, it certainly is a piece of work. Damn. Just transforming and combining that thing reminded me of why I loved RID.
Holy cats, you'd never owned JRX before?! How did your life have meaning until now?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

BWprowl wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:Having just got ShockTrek's JRX, it certainly is a piece of work. Damn. Just transforming and combining that thing reminded me of why I loved RID.
Holy cats, you'd never owned JRX before?! How did your life have meaning until now?
I assure you, it was a difficult and harrowing experience. But for the mere pittance of $35 I was allowed to own him. (Actually, one of him is the US release, and the other two are probably Korean. Plus there's a missing missile. But still!) Now my life is enriched.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Onslaught Six wrote:
BWprowl wrote:
I assure you, it was a difficult and harrowing experience. But for the mere pittance of $35 I was allowed to own him. (Actually, one of him is the US release, and the other two are probably Korean. Plus there's a missing missile. But still!) Now my life is enriched.
The Hasbro versions of the CR/rid trains was a pure disaster. Hasbro took away the clear translucent train windows.

personally these trains are far to awesome & the takara versions are the only ones that I think are awesome.