Primal and AirRazor- love in the air ;)

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Primal and AirRazor- love in the air ;)

Post by Dominic »

Okay, lets parse this....
shonen/shojo/seinen/the one that means adult girls
Same "sho" root with either an "nen" or "jo" suffix. So, if we assume the same pattern for "seinin".... The root would be "sei" with the suffix being "nin". So, the other suffix would be "jo"...making sei*ohno!

A character is going to do something (or not) regardless of if the story even uses magic or technology. I don't see what you're point here is as that can really apply to anything.
What I am saying is that the technology, (be it science or magic), in a story will do what the writer needs it to do. It will work as well, or fail as badly, as the writer needs it to, depending on what the writer needs the character to do or fail at doing.

....You're not really big on science fiction are you Dom? What brand of sci-fi have you seen that has ever used some sort of "all purpose McGuffin"?
Plenty. And, I have seen it because I watch/read plety of sci-fi. Replicators in "Star Trek" can pretty much do anything, providing more or less indefinite sources of food and other goods. (At most, a replicator needs raw mass to restructure, meaning that you could "recycle" the same cheese omelette over and over and over again.)

I have nothing against soft sci-fi. (Hell, look how much I like TF.) But, I am not going to pretend it is meaningfully different from sword and sorcery. ("Fantasy" sounds kind of fae to my ear.) Magic and sci-fi tech work pretty much interchangably.
And again, that's a point about science fiction that you keep ignoring, reasoned possibilities.
Hard sci-fi, (which I doubt anyone here reads much of if any), has "reasoned possibilities". But, most sci-fi, (including what we tend to talk about on this forum), is definitely in the "soft' category. The "technology" in soft sci-fi works the way it needs to for the story, rather than having having the story work around the limits of non-existent tech that just seems to work.

No... I'll admit I'm not very familiar with this sort of stuff from ancient Greek
Socrates was a fucking idiot. That is all I need to know.

Would you argue that fiction and non-fiction are fluid? Something real against something false?
That is a pretty clear distinction. But, distinctions within fiction are less rigid, often having as much to do with branding (at both the macro and micro levels) as with anything else.
Yes! To bring up Dom's Excalibur With A Lightsaber plotline again, Sparky's argument was "BUT LIGHTSABERS DON'T WORK THAT WAY!" Well, if Star Wars' plot had relied on them working that way, you're damn sure George Lucas would have made them that way.

Agreed. But, the Excalibur analogue was Shockwave's.

Dom
-from Synjo to Socrates in one post. My god, this is an amazing thread.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Seijo Deonecros...?
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

That is what you were going for, right?

Dom
-might have misread that.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Nnnnnooo... I was just trying to get O6 to answer his own question. 'Cos it's some pretty simple wordmath, whether you known basic Japanese or not.

I think you're just trying to find Synjo where there isn't any. I understand. We all miss him.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

A pack of poor marksmen we are....

Joking aside, I thought you were going for a Synjo pun.

Dom
-but the important thing is that Synjo is gone. I only wish we could forget....
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Onslaught Six wrote:Welcome to arguing with Sparky Prime. Unfortunately, he just kind of does this. (Nothing against you, man. Not trying to offend.)
Hm, didn't realize Gomess had edited his post as I responded to it. What does "he just kind of does this" supposed to mean? I always research these types of arguments, and I have in fact cited that at times to show what I'm arguing is accurate and logical, which is more than I can say for most of what I've been arguing against here.
Yes! To bring up Dom's Excalibur With A Lightsaber plotline again, Sparky's argument was "BUT LIGHTSABERS DON'T WORK THAT WAY!" Well, if Star Wars' plot had relied on them working that way, you're damn sure George Lucas would have made them that way.
Right, like that's what I said. In actuality, I looked up how a lightsaber is supposed to work according to the Star Wars Visual Dictionary (as I pointed out) and looked up to see if what they were talking about is possible. And hey, whadda you know? In real science, plasma does respond to an electromagnetic field making it theoretically possible. Of course Star Wars invented some stuff given we don't have that level of technology, but let's only focus only on the fictional element because it's just a swashbuckling movie.
Dominic wrote:Socrates was a fucking idiot. That is all I need to know.
There's a well reasoned argument for you.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Sparky Prime wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:Welcome to arguing with Sparky Prime. Unfortunately, he just kind of does this. (Nothing against you, man. Not trying to offend.)
Hm, didn't realize Gomess had edited his post as I responded to it. What does "he just kind of does this" supposed to mean? I always research these types of arguments, and I have in fact cited that at times to show what I'm arguing is accurate and logical, which is more than I can say for most of what I've been arguing against here.
There's that whole thing about why you dislike The Ascending and AHM and I don't want to get into it now because it's always cyclical. We'd be better off reading the old thread.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The point is not that the post-hoc explanation for lightsabers is kinda workable. The point is that they work as well as Lucas needed them to work in the movies. Do you really think that Lucas did research on plasma and EM fields and such?

"Star Wars" did not "invent" Jack or doody. Lucas recycled a bunch of ideas. The real work of harnessing plasma was done in labs by scientists, not movie makers or writers.
There's a well reasoned argument for you.
All he had to do was walk out of jail, when the guard was taking a deliberately long break, and go the hell home. From there, he just had to keep his damned mouth shut. (And, he could have avoided being in the cell to begin with if he just said "okay, sorry, won't happen again'. Instead, he went off on a "thing" and got his ass killed.

Yeah, Socrates was an idiot.

Dom
-blames Beast Wars for all of the fandoms troubles.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote:
I think O6 was saying that you have a unique way of taking an off hand comment and turning it into a 10+ page philisophical argument. Which I kind of enjoy because if nothing else, it gives me an excuse to exercise my brain.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Sparky Prime wrote:Hm, didn't realize Gomess had edited his post as I responded to it.
Wowwwwwwwwwwww. Did you *mean* for that to sound so surreptitious? That's petty. We're through professionally. *BaleFlail*