Love or Hate your Beast Era Toys!

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Re: Love or Hate your Beast Era Toys!

Post by BWprowl »

andersonh1 wrote:I found Inferno for $5 in a Kay Bee toys in a mall in Pineville NC years after BW went off the air. I'm guessing that it had sat forgotten in the stockroom and was put out on the shelf when they were clearing out the store to close it down. Whatever the reason, it was a great find as far as I was concerned.
Actually, it's entirely possible that it had simply shelfwarmed all that time. Inferno was one of the shelfwarm-iest Megas BW had (beaten out only by Scavenger, ironically enough), so it's highly possible he'd just been kicking around at that KB the entire time. You'd be surprised at the old, clearanced crap you can find at those outlet stores.

Love: Tigerhawk! This is still likely my favorite TF toy of all time. Kickass Transmetal Fuzor winged tiger beast mode, with some really cool gimmicks loading up his wing assembly. Then he's got a wonderfully intuitive transformation that leads to one seriously awesome robot mode. I love his headsculpt to death, and his boots are pretty cool too. And the way they get the talons set into the chest... this guy is amazing. I still need to track down that sick-looking Universe Razorclaw redeco one of these days.

Hate: Noctorro! Dippy-ass looking beast mode (who thought Bat/Bull was a good combination?), and transformation is...you flip his beast mode head down. That's *it*. I generally defend the Fuzors against all the hate they seem to catch, but this one deserves all the shit it gets. Noctorro sucks.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

BWprowl wrote:
andersonh1 wrote:I found Inferno for $5 in a Kay Bee toys in a mall in Pineville NC years after BW went off the air. I'm guessing that it had sat forgotten in the stockroom and was put out on the shelf when they were clearing out the store to close it down. Whatever the reason, it was a great find as far as I was concerned.
Actually, it's entirely possible that it had simply shelfwarmed all that time. Inferno was one of the shelfwarm-iest Megas BW had (beaten out only by Scavenger, ironically enough), so it's highly possible he'd just been kicking around at that KB the entire time. You'd be surprised at the old, clearanced crap you can find at those outlet stores.
True, I remember Scavenger being a major shelfwarmer.

Love: Transmetal 2 Megatron. Big and eye-catching in both modes, with a reasonably fiddly transformation despite the dragon feet becoming Megatron's feet. The wings that can be deployed and latched open or closed really add to the look of both modes. And it's a little thing, but I appreciate how similar the face is to TM Megatron's face, so this really does seem like an upgraded body. Something familiar from the old form remains recognizable. Only the rubbery dragon neck is a drawback since it's difficult to pose in any sort of stable manner.

Hate: Not a big fan of Sonar, the basic TM2 bat, mainly because the transformation is a pain in the neck to accomplish. The feet and legs pull through the torso at one point, and it's just a needlessly complicated step because everything is tough to get aligned properly.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Oh, lord. Scavenger. I never thought the Wal-Mart near me would get rid of those things. That guy hung around forEVER!

You know who else was an epic shelfwarmer? That guy Transquito. My TRU had a massive pile of those thing for awhile there...like, well into Armada. They finally dropped the price on those things to three bucks, and considering how TRU HATES clearance pricing, that really says something.

So on that note.

Love: Transquito. Neat bug mode, and it's pretty well instantly identifiable. You look at it and go, "Ah, a bigass mosquito!". Then the "weapon mode" feature is sort of neat, the wings open into pincers and the abdomen flips out to reveal another monstrous insectoid terror. I like hidden monster features. Then the transformation is pretty passable, I like the robot head flipping up, and the insect head halves becoming the chest. The robot itself looks great, the legs coming off the arms and the mutated-Predator-like robot head give a look that says to me "This alt-mode scan went very very wrong". He's a cool bargain figure.

Hate: Airrazor. The original basic Airrazor. The one that came with the video. For no logical reason at all, I just hated this figure. I'm sure in retrospect it wasn't so bad, but man. See, back when I finally decided to get some BW toys because I liked the show, I got TM Rattrap and Quickstrike, and they both were pretty much dead-on representations of their show models. So then I think "Oooh, Airrazor. And a video, why not?" Just...stubby porportions, limited articulation, dippy looking in both modes, weak-ass "attack mode". Just did not dig it at all.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I have to give some kutos to Tigerhawk here as well. I've been giving mine some much needed attention lately due to it unfortunately experiencing some yellowing (my only first and so far only figure to show signs of that). Luckily however, it's not that bad, so I didn't mind adding some paint to cover it up which turned out nice. Anyway, this has always been one of my favorites from BW. Great amount of detail on this figure. Always thought his spark chamber was an especially nice touch compared to so many of the other TM2 figures.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I thought Tigerhawk was supposed to not yellow?

Dom
-worried about Vector Prime now.....
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

BWprowl wrote: I still need to track down that sick-looking Universe Razorclaw redeco one of these days.
I've got one of those, and it is, in fact, the tits. I don't know if I'd say he's my favorite mold or anything, but he is wicked keen. I give him double bonus points for the alt mode alone. Giant winged kitty with armor and missles? Hell, you put a girl with a sword and barbarian armor riding on that thing and it'd have been right at home on a Dio or Judas Priest album cover, and as such, is rad.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Beast Machines

Love: Beast Changer (Savage/Noble): laying aside that it's just a nice figure in both modes, it's a pretty good effort at reproducing a morphing and impossible CGI character in toy form.

Hate: Geckobot. I don't quite hate this figure, but it's an ugly deformed mess in both modes. Weird flying lizard with lump on its neck turns into weird deformed robot with arms that are just too long and ungainly, no matter how you try to position them.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

At one time I had a complete collection of beastwars,beastmachines,beastwars 2nd & neo toys.

I got rid of all the non-show characters in the beastwars & beastmachines toy lines.

I got rid of about 92% of the basic sized toys from BW,BM,BW2ND & Neo.

I got rid of tons of deluxes that didn't look that great.

I kept all the ultra sized toys & some deluxes.

All in all,it's a mixed bag,some beast toys I think are really made well. while others I think don't look that great.

I wasn't a fan of the transmetals 1 toys & dislike the TM2 toys more than the TM1 toys.

my favorite beastwars mold is tm2 tigerhawk.