thoughts on the Beast-era

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: thoughts on the Beast-era

Post by Onslaught Six »

Except for all the thematics from Car Robots that firmly place the characters as coming from there. If Takara intended it to be a new universe, they would've been named Convoy and Megatron. Or some further variant of that, ala Galaxy Convoy and Master Megatron. (And even those are remnants of Cybertron originally being a sequel to Armadagon.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Onslaught Six wrote:Except for all the thematics from Car Robots that firmly place the characters as coming from there. If Takara intended it to be a new universe, they would've been named Convoy and Megatron. Or some further variant of that, ala Galaxy Convoy and Master Megatron. (And even those are remnants of Cybertron originally being a sequel to Armadagon.)
You're arguing from the wrong fictional universe though. The forum is labelled RID, not Car Robots, so I assume that when it comes to fiction, RID is the continuity that matters here.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

RID is the US dub of CR. You'll notice the forum is also labelled Armada/Energon/Cybertron, when you can just as well discuss elements of Micron Legend, Superlink and Galaxy Force in there. It's a case of taking labels far too seriously...especially on a board like this where topics ebb and flow to the point where well over half of our active threads are off-topic from the original title anyway. (Not that I've a problem with that.)

RID is firmly not in continuity, but Car Robots has enough elements that one can easily stick it in--especially since it was intended to. And regardless, I'm one of the people *not* arguing that RID should be moved. Mostly because I don't give a damn how the forum is arranged--I've made that pretty clear whenever matters of "Should War For Cybertron/Generations/etc. get its own forum?" rear their head. My response is almost always "Eh, I don't give a damn." Truthfully, the entire board could just be one huge kludge (heheh) of topics and I'd be fine with it. The only thing I'm talking about (and I'm pretty sure G is too) is where the toys and cartoon fit in thematically and, maybe-sorta, continuity-wise. And I barely try to convert people over to the "CR is in continuity!" side anymore.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I know it's the dub, but while Car Robots might try to link the characters to earlier series, RID makes no such attempt with other North American series. I'm not sure that if I make an argument based on RID that you can answer that with an argument based on Car Robots, or vice versa. Seem like the two have to be kept seperate for the sake of discussion, even if the figures themselves are largely the same. That's all I'm saying. :)
And regardless, I'm one of the people *not* arguing that RID should be moved.
Well, ok, we agree on that certainly.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

So.. where the heck do I go to discuss CR?? =p
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

My argument is that everybody should just ignore RID's fiction, because it's just Car Robots with everything that links it to the Beastverse ripped out. The names are the most important part of that. It's like, nobody discusses the dub of BW, because it's not the original intent and it bastardizes the series to be something else entirely. We don't count it, even if we count BWII and Neo.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Onslaught Six wrote:My argument is that everybody should just ignore RID's fiction, because it's just Car Robots with everything that links it to the Beastverse ripped out. The names are the most important part of that.
Problem is, I've never seen any of the Japanese series. Robots in Disguise is the default version of that line's fiction as far as I'm concerned, even though it is the dub and not the original. Even if that weren't the case, RID is quite enjoyable in it's own right, with all the inside jokes inserted into the dialogue that I as a long-time fan enjoy. I'm not sure I'd want to ignore it, even if I were familiar with Car Robots.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

...Technically I've never seen Car Robots either. The tone of RID is the same, though--at its core, it 'is' the same show, just with all the names changed and a few tiny things about maybe coming from another dimension taken out. But I prefer the Japanese original--simply because I get really sick of alternate versions of guys named Optimus Prime and Megatron and Prowl and stuff. I prefer it if this is just a guy named Fire Convoy who hangs out with Big Convoy and LioConvoy in his spare time...if for no other reason than it creates a much larger, more 'inhabited' universe full of possibilities. That's why I love non-show guys and obscure characters. To me, it shows that this is a living and breathing world that has 'thousands,' if not millions of Transformers, and all of them have their own unique history and story to tell. When you strip it down to just another alternate Prime and Megs, then it gets boring as hell.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Onslaught Six wrote:...I get really sick of alternate versions of guys named Optimus Prime and Megatron and Prowl and stuff. I prefer it if this is just a guy named Fire Convoy who hangs out with Big Convoy and LioConvoy in his spare time...if for no other reason than it creates a much larger, more 'inhabited' universe full of possibilities. That's why I love non-show guys and obscure characters. To me, it shows that this is a living and breathing world that has 'thousands,' if not millions of Transformers, and all of them have their own unique history and story to tell. When you strip it down to just another alternate Prime and Megs, then it gets boring as hell.
I agree with most of this in principle. It does get tiresome recycling Optimus and Megatron every series. And it's always good to expand the Transformers universe, as the current Wreckers mini is doing for me, since I'm unfamiliar with so many of the characters in that story. I just really enjoy RID enough that I don't want to throw it out in favor of Car Robots.

I don't have the same attachment to AEC though. Go figure.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

It's not like the CR characters are different, though. Gelshark is just as goofy as Sky-Byte is, he's just named Gelshark. And I like Sky-Byte more as a name anyway, so that's the one I use in common passing. So I don't even use the CR names exclusively.