thoughts on the Beast-era

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
User avatar
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class
Posts: 4909
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 am

Re: thoughts on the Beast-era

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Given how many holes G1 had, and the fact that it never covered the year 2000 (in any iteration of the franchise), it is not completely unreasonable to assume that RiD was happening concurrent with G1, and that the characters never met up.
You're forgetting that in RiD, the major plot of the series is to find/control Fortress Maximus who was said to have been left on Earth 'eons ago'. In G1 however, he wasn't even built until sometime after the year 2005.
Onslaught Six wrote:Especially since RID supposedly happens in America.(CR obviously happens in Japan, mind you.)
I recall that events of the story happen all over the globe in either version of the show, not specifically in one country. It was explained they could travel all over the globe in minutes via the tunnel system the Build Team built through the Earth.

User avatar
Gomess
Supreme-Class
Posts: 2767
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:10 am
Location: Eng-er-land

Re: thoughts on the Beast-era

Post by Gomess »

Sparky Prime wrote:You're forgetting that in RiD, the major plot of the series is to find/control Fortress Maximus who was said to have been left on Earth 'eons ago'. In G1 however, he wasn't even built until sometime after the year 2005.
*Brave* Maximus. Or are you ignoring that RiD is just a dub of Car Robot for the sake of convenience? ;]

If RiD is more relevant than CR, then 2010 is more relevant than S3. I personally go by What Came First Is Canon... Just sayin'.

...And no, that doesn't mean I think we shouldn't even BOTHER having a TF forum without a bigger, more prevalent Diaclone one... Xp
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did

User avatar
BWprowl
Supreme-Class
Posts: 4145
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: Shelfwarming, because of Shellforming
Contact:

Re: thoughts on the Beast-era

Post by BWprowl »

Sparky Prime wrote:
Dominic wrote:Given how many holes G1 had, and the fact that it never covered the year 2000 (in any iteration of the franchise), it is not completely unreasonable to assume that RiD was happening concurrent with G1, and that the characters never met up.
You're forgetting that in RiD, the major plot of the series is to find/control Fortress Maximus who was said to have been left on Earth 'eons ago'. In G1 however, he wasn't even built until sometime after the year 2005.
Different Fortress Maximus. In the Japanese version, that was Brave Maximus, who most definitely wasn't Fortress Maximus.
Onslaught Six wrote:Especially since RID supposedly happens in America.(CR obviously happens in Japan, mind you.)
I recall that events of the story happen all over the globe in either version of the show, not specifically in one country. It was explained they could travel all over the globe in minutes via the tunnel system the Build Team built through the Earth.
Well yeah, they do a lot of globe-trotting, but the point O6 was getting at is that the Autobots are based out of Japan/America, the Predacon/Destronger base is in that area, that's where Yuki/Koji and his dad live, etc. The *central hub* of the stories is located there.

For a time, I had this craaaaaaaaazy theory that Car Robots and Robots in Disguise were actually separate stories with separate characters that still took place in the *same* continuity. It's been a long time, but I'm almost certain that I got it to work somehow. Basically, Gigatron takes his Destrongers to an alternate universe earth in its year 2000 to start the shit that was CR, and Fire Convoy and his dimensional patrol go there and fight him and yeah. Then later, about the time BW Megatron takes off for prehistoric Earth and the Beast Wars, *another* criminal calling himself Megatron uses transwarp technology to head to regular-universe Earth circa 2013 or so (key to this plot working is that fact that they never said what year it was on Earth in RiD). So the Maximal council sends it's elite patrol of 'the Autobots' there to fight him, and we get RiD. The characters all have different names, they just look alike and the events that occur in both instances are strikingly similar. Yeah. :?

Look, it made sense when I came up with it, okay?
Image

User avatar
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class
Posts: 4909
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 am

Re: thoughts on the Beast-era

Post by Sparky Prime »

Gomess wrote:*Brave* Maximus. Or are you ignoring that RiD is just a dub of Car Robot for the sake of convenience? ;]
The two are very different shows, despite RiD being a dub. And still, the city-formers in G1 didn't show up until the year 2005. How could Brave/Fortress Maximus be on Earth for eons when they weren't even around yet in the year 2000?

User avatar
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class
Posts: 7022
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:49 am
Location: In front of my computer.
Contact:

Re: thoughts on the Beast-era

Post by Onslaught Six »

BWprowl wrote:Different Fortress Maximus. In the Japanese version, that was Brave Maximus, who most definitely wasn't Fortress Maximus.
Well...at the time, he was supposed to be a different guy altogether. Now Kiss Players has kinda retconned it so Brave Maximus actually goes around time and different universes and eventually *becomes Fortress Maximus.* Wrap your head around that one.
For a time, I had this craaaaaaaaazy theory that Car Robots and Robots in Disguise were actually separate stories with separate characters that still took place in the *same* continuity. It's been a long time, but I'm almost certain that I got it to work somehow. Basically, Gigatron takes his Destrongers to an alternate universe earth in its year 2000 to start the shit that was CR, and Fire Convoy and his dimensional patrol go there and fight him and yeah. Then later, about the time BW Megatron takes off for prehistoric Earth and the Beast Wars, *another* criminal calling himself Megatron uses transwarp technology to head to regular-universe Earth circa 2013 or so (key to this plot working is that fact that they never said what year it was on Earth in RiD). So the Maximal council sends it's elite patrol of 'the Autobots' there to fight him, and we get RiD. The characters all have different names, they just look alike and the events that occur in both instances are strikingly similar. Yeah. :?

Look, it made sense when I came up with it, okay?
No it didn't. :P
Sparky Prime wrote:
Gomess wrote:*Brave* Maximus. Or are you ignoring that RiD is just a dub of Car Robot for the sake of convenience? ;]
The two are very different shows, despite RiD being a dub. And still, the city-formers in G1 didn't show up until the year 2005. How could Brave/Fortress Maximus be on Earth for eons when they weren't even around yet in the year 2000?
The big key with this whole thing is that you basically have to ignore anything RID says. RID isn't in canon, it can't possibly be and there's no way. Period! But Car Robots is. Or at the very least, it's got enough substance (and thematically fits) that lines up more with it being in continuity than it 'not' being. RID messes with too many things--"Fortress" Maximus not being the least of them--that it can't be reconciled.

And I'm still working on the running theory that 'this is not the same Earth,' which makes part of your argument pointless. I think it's just much easier that way.

EDIT: But Robot Masters and Kiss Players eventually implies that Brave Max *becomes* part of Autobot City, and basically what it's implying is that Brave Max isn't a proper (Japanese) Headmaster or anything, and Fortress just kind of rips off the technology and improves it to eventually turn Brave Max into Fort Max.
Last edited by Onslaught Six on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Image

User avatar
Gomess
Supreme-Class
Posts: 2767
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:10 am
Location: Eng-er-land

Re: thoughts on the Beast-era

Post by Gomess »

It is true that CR has more 'substance' than RiD, and the latter is arguably just a rehash of the original (srsly, do we take the G2 cartoon's word over the original?!) buuuuut in the end it comes down to RiD IZ INGLISH.

...Come on people, I'm right, aren't I? =[
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did

User avatar
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class
Posts: 4909
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 am

Re: thoughts on the Beast-era

Post by Sparky Prime »

Onslaught Six wrote:The big key with this whole thing is that you basically have to ignore anything RID says. RID isn't in canon, it can't possibly be and there's no way. Period! But Car Robots is.
Just because you're bias against RiD, that doesn't mean it isn't canon. It's "Hasbro's canon", while CR is "Takara's canon".

And both are in a continuity of their own anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

User avatar
Gomess
Supreme-Class
Posts: 2767
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:10 am
Location: Eng-er-land

Re: thoughts on the Beast-era

Post by Gomess »

Yeah, but what we're trying to establish here is what's *our* canon.

So... do most of us think CR/RiD should be grouped in the Beast Era, or...?
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did

User avatar
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class
Posts: 7022
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:49 am
Location: In front of my computer.
Contact:

Re: thoughts on the Beast-era

Post by Onslaught Six »

By "canon" I meant "happens in G1/BW universe," not "happened at all."

Thematically, it fits in with BW era, but if we're talking the board, I'd just keep it with ArmEnerTron--if only because RID's actual status is canonically a different bit.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Image

User avatar
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class
Posts: 4909
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 am

Re: thoughts on the Beast-era

Post by Sparky Prime »

Onslaught Six wrote:By "canon" I meant "happens in G1/BW universe," not "happened at all."
But neither RiD or CR actually happens in the G1/BW universe. By all accounts, both take place in an alternate universe from any other TF series. Even if the Destrongers came from the G1/BW universe (to which, again, I have to point out there is no evidence either way), all of the actual events of Car Robots still took place in a separate universe.

And canon refers to what is considered to be part of the "official" story, not necessarily the continuity it takes place in, and in this case, we know it's continuity is set apart from others.
Gomess wrote:So... do most of us think CR/RiD should be grouped in the Beast Era, or...?
CR/RiD is kind of an odd duck out being that it really doesn't fit with any other continuity. Perhaps a new category? I can see maybe pairing it with Machine Wars as it also doesn't really fit any other continuity, and Animated now that it has run its course. Hodgepodge of mismatched TF lines.

Post Reply