thoughts on the Beast-era

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: thoughts on the Beast-era

Post by Dominic »

Dunno how much connection and thought Takara put into Megatron and co. By the standards of any time and franchise, they have tended to be pretty sloppy with their stories.

I heard rumours (circa 2000) that Gigatron was BW Megatron, but never saw anything official. Given the sheer number of Primes/Convoys in Japan, I assumed Gigatron and Megatron worked along the same principle.

As for RiD being moved, it might make more sense in the long term to move it when the forums are being retooled anyway, rather than keep them where they are for the sake of consistency.

Dom
-needs to dig out some RiD toys.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

The only official thing I've seen of Gigatron's origins is from one of the Car Robot toy catalogs claiming he (and his Destrongers) "passed through a rift in dimensions" and that Fire Convoys team was a "Dimensional Patrol" sent to stop them. But they never elaborated any further on that as far as I know.
Gomess wrote:Did Lio Convoy give his spark to Gaia at the end of BW2? I forget.
All of the BWII Maximals ended up in a black hole or some such at the end of the series, and were found by Big Convoy's team in BW Neo. Eventually Lio Convoy and the rest of his team was freed though, as they were seen at the end credits of Neo on Cybertron.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

G specifically means the BWII manga, which is a different continuity from the anime. Same as BWNeo. In the Neo manga, all the Cybertrons (and a bunch of the Destrons) are actually real animals who "become" Transformers not unlike what the AllSpark does to machines in the movies and Animated.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Sparky, have you seen accurately translated BW2 episodes? I have only seen the last episodes raw. I assumed everybody was dead. I assumed the BW2 guys showing up at the end of BWNeo was the animators being whimsical.

The rumour I heard likely flowed out of the blurb Sparky cited above.

Dom
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

If nothing else, one can easily take the Japanese naming conventions and at the least *infer* that the characters from CR hail from, at the time, the *only* unified universe. If it were meant to be a new continuity, we'd have Convoy and Megatron, like we did in Armada. Instead, we explicitly have Fire Convoy and Gigatron, and a faction name that deliberately requires a larger body to work.

(Then there's that one fanon idea we had where the protoforms that became Scourge and the Combatrons are actually G2 Laser Prime and Battle Gaea in stasis...but that's fanon.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Sparky, have you seen accurately translated BW2 episodes? I have only seen the last episodes raw. I assumed everybody was dead. I assumed the BW2 guys showing up at the end of BWNeo was the animators being whimsical.
About year ago or so I found some subtitled episodes created by fans as well as few fan dubbed episodes on youtube (which appear to have since been taken down as I cannot find them). Obviously I can't be certain how accurate of a job they did, but as far as I could tell they were accurate with their translations.

The BWII characters certainly didn't die (although I'd agree the ending of BWII kinda gives that impression with them simply following Lio Convoy into oblivion) and their appearance in BW Neo wasn't on the animators whimsy, and kinda is explained in that series.

One episode of Neo has Big Convoy's crew enter a black hole and on the other side, they find a shattered planetoid. There, they meet Lio Convoy. He explains he was trapped there at the end of BWII (his crew isn't shown but since they followed him, presumably they were there somewhere) and tells them about Angolmois energy being Unicron and all that stuff. Then, with a power boost from Big Convoy's Matrix, Lio Convoy becomes Flash Lio Convoy, and shoots energy into the black hole so Big Convoy's crew can get back to where they belong to.

And then during the final battle of the show, Lio Convoy suddenly shows up out of the blue on Cybertron to help Big Convoy defeat Unicron. With his crew showing up in the end credits helping rebuild Cybertron, the only explanation is that they escaped the black hole along with Lio Convoy.
Onslaught Six wrote:G specifically means the BWII manga, which is a different continuity from the anime.
I thought with the way he phrased that sentence that perhaps he had switched topics and was talking about the anime there rather than the manga. I know the two are different continuities.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

*pokes his head in the thread again*

Looks like it's safe to come out at last. And, of course, now I dn't have anything to talk about. I kind of like to think the RiD/CR universe is in the same continuity as the Beast era. The fact that the Preds are all repaints of Transmetal 2's makes me think that somewhere, somehow they maybe got a hold of the Transmetal Driver that BW Megatron had. Don't ask me how. And then there's Slapper's (I think) reference to the Vehicons. So... time travelling TM2 Predacons from a post-BM universe. And since they're TM2s, that's why they're DeSTRONGER than everyone else. :P For this to work, though, there'd have to be no G1 activity on Earth in the year 2000, and that's about ... not likely. How could all this stuff be going down in Japan or wherever without the G1 Autobots and Decepticons knowing about it? The RiD guys weren't exactly known for being super secretive.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

The key thing with putting CR/RID into BW's continuity is that you explicitly have to go "Yeah, they went to another universe aaaaanyway in the first place." So the Earth that's actually *there* in RID isn't related to the ones from the previous TF serieses. Like, at all. Also, Slapper's reference wasn't there in CR, which is what we have to primarily discuss anyway.

Also, Gigs makes reference to having destroyed tons of planets before--which I'm inclined to think is just more of him talking shit to make himself seem important. "Oh yeah?! Well, I've, uh, destroyed entire PLANETS before! So suck on that! Jerk!" The Destrongers name only *implies* that they're stronger than regular Destrons...which they completely aren't. S'just Gigs being a self-important douchebag.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Some of it also comes down to how one defines "destroy" in that context. Did Gigatron actually crack apart planetary bodies, or just destroy much of a planet's population and (in the case of civilized worlds) infrastructure.

Given how many holes G1 had, and the fact that it never covered the year 2000 (in any iteration of the franchise), it is not completely unreasonable to assume that RiD was happening concurrent with G1, and that the characters never met up.

Dom
-points out that early "Wreckers" art had Slapper in place of Spittor.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:Some of it also comes down to how one defines "destroy" in that context. Did Gigatron actually crack apart planetary bodies, or just destroy much of a planet's population and (in the case of civilized worlds) infrastructure.
Neither. I've always assumed Gigs is making it up to sound impressive.
Given how many holes G1 had, and the fact that it never covered the year 2000 (in any iteration of the franchise), it is not completely unreasonable to assume that RiD was happening concurrent with G1, and that the characters never met up.
It's possible, sure, but I don't see it happening. Especially since RID supposedly happens in America. (CR obviously happens in Japan, mind you.)
-points out that early "Wreckers" art had Slapper in place of Spittor.
First I've heard. Inneresting...