Revisiting BEAST WARS

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
andersonh1

Re: Revisiting BEAST WARS

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote:Ah, but which G1 is it? Which G1?
Does it matter? The Beast Wars show is the future of "a" G1 continuity, even if that continuity seems to be a mix of cartoon and comic.
And, for that matter, which BW? There are at least 2 BW continuities in the US, (the cartoon/comic and the one explicitly mentioned in some "Armada" profiles), and credible evidence for more.
The comic was meant to supplement the cartoon, so they're meant to be a part of the same continuity, whether or not that works well in practice. So "a" G1 => Beast Wars TV show/comic

Did the Armada specs reference Beast Wars? I don't recall that. I know DVD's expanded specs did, but I don't remember official specs.

Maybe Dreamwave's Armada character profile books did that. But then they made random mini-cons female for no real reason, so they were taking some liberties with the source material.
Dom
-not helping at all.
Dom! You're not helping!!!!!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Did the Armada specs reference Beast Wars? I don't recall that. I know DVD's expanded specs did, but I don't remember official specs.
The "Armada" trading card set used text from character profiles on the character focused cards. In at least a few cases, the cards were the only published examples of the characters getting profiles. 3, (maybe 4) of the 5 beasts, (I think the 3 Autobots and maybe Terrorsaur), had profiles. And, at least one of them mentioned a "Beast Wars". I know the cards have been posted in at least a few on-line archives. And, I have the card in question. (I think it is Airrazor's.)

As for "which G1", where you in the fandom ~10 years back? That was a question to rival FIRRIB/FIBRIR

Dom
-but, we all know that Enemy is orange. Yup. No question there.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

andersonh1 wrote:Maybe Dreamwave's Armada character profile books did that. But then they made random mini-cons female for no real reason, so they were taking some liberties with the source material.
Well I don't know that those Mini-Cons had ever explicitly been given a gender, so I don't know how that counts as 'taking liberties'.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The only female Minicon that really struck me as "taking liberties" was Armorhide, (the jeep packaged with Terrorsaur). She, along with Sunstreaker in the G1 book, actually struck me as "McDonough delivering on a stereotype by writing a stereotype. Granted, it was not as "ohohohohohoho" as Sunstreaker's entry. But, making a Minicon into an abused girl-friend was pretty crass. (McDonough sounded like everybody I have ever hated from old Somerville, Charlestown or Southie when he wrote those entries.)

Sureschock was given a pink and white color scheme in Japan, ala Arcee. (The later "Legends" anthology depicts Sureschock as male, as does the Fun Publications "Cybertron" comic. But, the editor of "Legends" specifies that none of those stories should be cited as "fact". And, I wonder if Fun Publications was not deliberately over-writing a DW source just to do so.)

Dom
-would rather there be no female TFs.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote: 3, (maybe 4) of the 5 beasts, (I think the 3 Autobots and maybe Terrorsaur), had profiles. And, at least one of them mentioned a "Beast Wars". I know the cards have been posted in at least a few on-line archives. And, I have the card in question. (I think it is Airrazor's.)
Huh? There were only four BW repaints--Rhinox, Cheetor, Airazor and Terrorsaur. There was no fifth.

I also don't recall any of the bios mentioning BW--you may be thinking of the Cybertron Buzzsaw Cyber Key info.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Predacon was the 5th beast-recolor.

One of the profiles mentions "Beast Wars" as happening in context with "Armada". Lemmee dig out the cards.

Dom
-also needs to get crackin' on FCBD reviews.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

D'oh! Forgot about their horse. :P

The Wiki says nothing, and I think that'd be something it'd mention, so you're probably confusing it with Cybertron Buzzsaw's key data.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Screw "the horse". Official sources kept Predacon away from that fan-fic.

I need to dig out the cards.

Dom
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I have to agree with O6 here... I've looked through all the Armada information I can think of that might have any references to Beast Wars. I haven't found anything. Really, the only Beast Wars references I remember in the AEC trilogy came from Cybertron's cyber key data, particularly Buzzsaw, Longrack and Sky Shadow.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Are there scans/transcriptions of the cards available? I still need to dig my cards out. Would anyone like to come over and dig them out? No, seriously.

I recall Skyshadow/Jetfire's key data. But, aside from the names, did Buzzsaw and Longrack have a direct connection to "Beast Wars"?

Dom