Revisiting BEAST WARS

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Revisiting BEAST WARS

Post by Onslaught Six »

Buzzsaw's says something or other about BW Buzzsaw, who he's a homage to. It's written sort of in-universe that, if read one way, implies there's a Beast Wars that happened in the past of AEC. The intended reading is pretty obviously that CyBuzzsaw is an homage to BW Buzzsaw.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote:Screw "the horse". Official sources kept Predacon away from that fan-fic.

I need to dig out the cards.

Dom
Doesn't tfu.info have copies of all the character biographies? It might be worth looking at that site.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Just checked TFU, the wiki and DVD's page. Nothing. (DVD talks about the set in general terms, but not specific cards.)

Dom
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Bigbot.com still has all of the cyber key data, for what it's worth. Though out of all of them with BW references, the only one is actually written to be in-universe is Sky Shadow. The rest just talk about how the toy is a homage to a Beast Wars character.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

For a second, I thought that Sparky had found an online archive of the cards....after I managed to dig mine out.

Hookay, I have Airrazor and Rhinox. (I read either Cheetor's or Terrorsaur's, whichever was actually published, years ago. But, I forget the content.)

Airrazor's mentions her being "reborn in to the Armada Universe", a possible reference to universe hoping (and/or "Universe") or simply a badly written card blending context with marketing jargon. I actually misremembered this one a bit, remembering that it implied previous history but not the details.

Rhinox's is a bit more straightforward, noting that he is a professional soldier who was brought out of stasis to fight Unicron. Besides implying some really creative population management on Cybertron, this clearly shows he had a previous history. Again, I misremembered/misread that as implying a BW.

Both cards mention that they are in for "an uncertain future", a possible reference to Furman's Four Horsemen wank-fest. (The publishing dates elude me, so it is hard to be certain.) Of course, Rhinox shows up in the cartoon and does not get wankified, and many of the other cards favor the cartoon (at least as much as the old toy bios did), so.....

The cards that do have character profiless all take content more or less verbatim from the on-line profiless, ("Armada" lacked on-package character profiles), which implies that any archive of character profiles would likely have Airrazor, Rhinox and whatever the 3 character to get a card was. (I am 90% sure that only 3 of the beasts got profile text.)

Dom
-no, really, Rhinox was in stasis until they decided they needed him.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

It's debatable how "canonical" those cards actually are. I believe the Unicron one said some BS that likely came from The Ultimate Guide that was never used in any story. Something about "The Ancient One" creating both Primus and Unicron.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Most, if not all, of the character cards were drawn from toy packages. Those cannot be discounted entirely, as much as we might want to discount some of them.
primus.allspark
Protoform

Post by primus.allspark »

I very much enjoyed Beast Wars when it had it's run on television, and I plan to revisit it as soon as I can get my hands on the DVD box set. In my opinion the stories in each episode were very compelling, with a hint of mystery that just kept me hooked. Anyway it was awesome. I know I'm going to enjoy it all over again.