My rigid grill structure is bearing down on your cargo door.

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: My rigid grill structure is bearing down on your cargo door.

Post by Dominic »

"Shipping" is a deliberately wrong interpretation. Much of the innuendos are put their by fans who are trying to compensate for the fact they are into a franchise that they see as immature. And, nothing is more mature than main characters messing around, even when it makes no sense.

Harry and Snape? Any number of TF or Trek pairings? (That is not even counting Mary Sue antics.)

What is the innuendo between Snape and Lupin though? I cannot recall it.

Lupin and Tonks was a bit dodgy, given the age differnces. But, hey, good for that sly old goat, erm, wolf, of a man.

Sonic and Tails is a brotherly, or possibly mentor/pupil, relationship. Kids do latch onto adults or older children. It happens. And, every so often, the adult takes a liking to having the kid around. (It is kinda cool to have a little oIer following you around, especially when you are not at all responsible for them.)

And, parody aside, I have never "shipped" two characters, let alone done so with any pretense that it has basis in canon.

Dom
-and this is why that Hermione parody will never happen.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

I mostly agree with Dom on this subject, especially when it comes to series where these sorts of things are completely irrelevant (Are Ichigo and Rukia obviously meant to be together? Who cares?! Bleach isn't a romance series!).

That said, there are some times when authors will add Synjo's aforementioned innuendo on purpose in order to drive these sorts of things. I'll use Negima as an example (anyone click the link in my previous post?). Around volume 4 the audience gets introduced to Setsuna, who's revealed to have a 'childhood friend' history with Konoka. The two of them start hanging out again, with metric tons of innuendo being thrown either way. They go on a 'date' in Cinema Village, Konoka gets slipped a love potion near Setsuna and glomps her as a one-off gag, Setsuna gets all blushy and flustered when Konoka starts getting close, etc. But nothing specific is ever said. Ever. Hell, the second anime ataptation of the series plays up the 'tension' in their relationship for laughs and still leaves it as an "are they aren't they" sort of thing. Instead, the fans themselves jumped onto the pairing, arguably making it one of the most popular features of the manga (Setsuna regularly tops character popularity polls). And still the author refused to canonize the pair. I likened it to the guy from Blue's Clues asking the audience if they could find a watermelon while standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF A WATERMELON, and pretending not to notice it. Now, that's all up until recently, since just a few chapters ago, Konoka and Setsuna seemingly made the jump from subtext to just plain text, with a steamy make-out session ensuing. And I know it was done precisely to please the fans.

Dom, I hate to say it, but I can almost guarantee that that Hermione story already exists, somewhere.
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Post by donosaur »

Dominic wrote:Dom
-almost wants to write that parody "Hermione/House Elf Gangbang" story.
SPEW indeed.
.................................................................................................................................................................... _,_,_..
...................................................................................................................................................................(..vvvvv
..................................................................................................................................................................(..../"/"
.........................................................................................................................................................(\.....(.....) )
......................................................................................................................................................... \ \../../hh hh
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Good catch Don.

Prowl, that is the problem with the Hermione story. We would have been writing it as a parody of the "slash" genre, but too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.

Dom
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Just so you guys know, we're now the #4 result on google for "House Elf Gang Bang". Way to set the bar high for this year!
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I suppose I should be glad we are not #1. On the other hand, I amazed that there are 3 pages using that phrase more than us

Dom
-
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Dominic wrote:I suppose I should be glad we are not #1. On the other hand, I amazed that there are 3 pages using that phrase more than us

Dom
-
Which phrase was that again?

138 "The day ain't over yet" Scourge
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

We ain't there no more. *phew*

Dom
-is pretty sure Scourge will work to change that. :)
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Yeah we are. What search are you using?

I don't have the courage to do that on Google Image Search, though. Some things aren't meant for the eye to see.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

BWprowl wrote:I mostly agree with Dom on this subject, especially when it comes to series where these sorts of things are completely irrelevant (Are Ichigo and Rukia obviously meant to be together? Who cares?! Bleach isn't a romance series!).
This is why Rurouni Kenshin rules. It's beginning is obviously intended more as a romantic comedy. (Hell, the thing is called "Meiji Swordsman Romantic Story.")

...Also, I've only ever shipped one couple, and that is admittedly Lucca and Robo from Chrono Trigger. But I at least know it's conjecture and there's probably nothing more there than what I'm reading into. (Doesn't stop me from having my fun, though.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.