Beast Wars (2021) ongoing series

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Beast Wars (2021) ongoing series

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:30 amRemember how the cartoon just "talked around" their names? That was on TV, 25 years ago. Comics in 2021 should be able to manage that.
Exactly. If they weren't going to give them pre-beast mode names, I'd have rather they "talked around" their names like the cartoon did, until they picked up their beast modes.
As for Primal's motivation, it actually changes between panels.
I wouldn't say it changes. He wants some action to make the mission more interesting. That falls in-line with him feeling he'd rather be a fighter than a research ship captain where nothing exciting is expected to happen. It's just... such a departure from Optimus Primal's characterization in the cartoon.
This thing is worse than anything the Fan Club produced. (It needed to be said.)
I'd say "Dawn of Predacus" was worst than this comic. But "Dawn of Future's Past" was somewhat better, and that was essentially the same story as this comic.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am not willing to reread the Fun Publications stuff (even if I still had any of it).

But, the current series is worse than I recall the Fun Publications stuff being.

I wouldn't say it changes. He wants some action to make the mission more interesting. That falls in-line with him feeling he'd rather be a fighter than a research ship captain where nothing exciting is expected to happen. It's just... such a departure from Optimus Primal's characterization in the cartoon.
On one page, Primal wants the action of being a peacekeeper. On the next page, he wants to be exploring new places.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:22 am
On one page, Primal wants the action of being a peacekeeper. On the next page, he wants to be exploring new places.
I'm not seeing the conflict between those concepts. The Enterprise often explores new places AND plays peacekeeper; also often in the same episode.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:51 am
Dominic wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:22 amOn one page, Primal wants the action of being a peacekeeper. On the next page, he wants to be exploring new places.
I'm not seeing the conflict between those concepts. The Enterprise often explores new places AND plays peacekeeper; also often in the same episode.
Yeah, I'm not really seeing there's much of a distinction between peacekeeper and explorer, often these roles go hand-in-hand with each other, such as in Star Trek. And bottom line is Primal is saying he's bored in his current assignment and wants a more action oriented position.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:09 amI like that they give Megatron another name here, but I got the impression from the cartoon he'd taken the name Megatron long enough prior to stealing the Golden Disk, that he'd earned the respect for everyone to call him Megatron in his own right. But with the name change only coming at the end of the conversation with the Tripredacus Council here, and they still call him Galavar... Just stealing the Golden Disk doesn't feel like he's earned the right to call himself Megatron, or a reason why he'd suddenly demand others call him that from now on.
Ego and ambition. He wants the reputation that the name carries, even though he hasn't earned it, though in his mind I'm sure he thinks it's only a matter of time until he does.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:37 pmEgo and ambition. He wants the reputation that the name carries, even though he hasn't earned it, though in his mind I'm sure he thinks it's only a matter of time until he does.
I get that, but I don't like how that portrays this version of Megatron. He should already have a reputation in his own right, not claiming the name prior to having earned it.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Sparky Prime wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:54 pm
andersonh1 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:37 pmEgo and ambition. He wants the reputation that the name carries, even though he hasn't earned it, though in his mind I'm sure he thinks it's only a matter of time until he does.
I get that, but I don't like how that portrays this version of Megatron. He should already have a reputation in his own right, not claiming the name prior to having earned it.
I'm under the impression that this is what happened in the show, as well; that Megatron, long before the events of the show, changed his name to reflect his historic idol's.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

One of the Tripredicus Council, in "The Agenda", remarked that "Megatron is brilliant, but a rogue. He causes too much trouble." That clearly implies that in that continuity he had been active for some time prior to stealing the disk and going out into space, and he was well known for those actions, even if we don't know exactly what they were. I think they should touch on that in the comic, and let us know a bit of his history at least, and why he took Megatron's name. And perhaps they will as we move forward.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:15 am One of the Tripredicus Council, in "The Agenda", remarked that "Megatron is brilliant, but a rogue. He causes too much trouble." That clearly implies that in that continuity he had been active for some time prior to stealing the disk and going out into space, and he was well known for those actions, even if we don't know exactly what they were.
That's exactly the line I've been thinking of. Megatron also mentioned he took the name from the Covenant of Primus, although he gives no indication of when that might have been (not to mention is unclear how/when he could have access to it when it's implied the first time he'd read parts of it was when he got his hands on the copy on the Nemesis), but taken together, the implications are that he'd had the name for a while prior to stealing the Golden Disk.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I always assumed that the copies on the Ark and the Nemesis were the equivalent of Guttenberg Bibles, and there more common editions.

And, after a trip to the comic store, it looks like DC has 2 upcoming series that legitimately interest me and Marvel has an intriguing trainwreck. "Beast Wars" is probably getting crowded off my pull file before I even add it.