Beast Wars (2021) ongoing series

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Beast Wars (2021) ongoing series

Post by Ursus mellifera »

andersonh1 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:05 am Finally got over to the comic book shop to pick up issue 3. Since my main complaint with the series so far has been that it hews too closely to the tv show, I can't really complain when Dinobot's defection from the cause has a mostly different reason (though he still calls Megatron an incompetent leader, if not in those exact words). His dislike of the more brutal actions of his fellow Predacons has been telegraphed since the first issue, so this doesn't come out of nowhere.

On the other hand, Optimus Primal's lack of concern for Nyx seems very out of character, with Cheetor of all people more concerned than Primal. That just strikes me as wrong for both characters.
This (aside from the art) is my main problem with this issue. Dinobot decided to commit a major crime with a group of murderers and thugs(and at least one cannibal), and suddenly he can't abide their actions? Muthafucker, that was a decision to make BEFORE you helped them and fled the planet. I enjoy that Megatron calls him out on that. I also enjoy that Rhinox calls out Primal on his dismissal of concern for Nyx's whereabouts. Maybe Dinobot joins the Maximals because he and Primal bond over neither taking the time to consider their actions.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Oh yeah, Dinobot knew what he was getting into. There's no doubt about that. But it turns out to be more than he's willing to tolerate, so will he be as conflicted as tv Dinobot was? Or will he come to embrace the Maximal cause once he gets to know Primal and his crew? Like I said, I do like that we're finally getting some more significant divergence from the tv show here, so I'm curious to see where it goes.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:05 amI can't really complain when Dinobot's defection from the cause has a mostly different reason (though he still calls Megatron an incompetent leader, if not in those exact words). His dislike of the more brutal actions of his fellow Predacons has been telegraphed since the first issue, so this doesn't come out of nowhere.
Yeah, it was telegraphed he didn't like the actions of his fellow Predacons... But then, why is torturing Nyx the final straw for him? Why not when Terrorsaur killed the defenseless Maximal guard back in the first issue, which Dinobot said they didn't need to kill? And Tarantulas has a reputation as a butcher, as Nyx points out. Why would Dinobot, with his principals, put up with this crowd in the first place, knowing full well what they're about? In the cartoon, while Dinobot seemed to be aware of his crewmates... shortcomings, it didn't seem to bother him. His honor was his own, while his crewmates actions were their own. Having Dinobot turn against the Predacons for his sense of honor completely changes the dynamics.

One of the more interesting things about Dinobot's character came in season 2, when he realized he'd been wrong, and Megatron lead them to the right planet after all. Dinobot again struggled rejoining Megatron's cause at that point. I don't see that happening here. Especially when none of the Predacons even know why they're on this planet since Megatron has yet to decode the disk.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Sparky Prime wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:41 pm In the cartoon, while Dinobot seemed to be aware of his crewmates... shortcomings, it didn't seem to bother him. His honor was his own, while his crewmates actions were their own. Having Dinobot turn against the Predacons for his sense of honor completely changes the dynamics.
This right here.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I dunno, I feel like Dinobot might get called out for it at some point, probably by the Maximals. Primal did voice some concern in private with Rhinox, but wasn't quite ready to sound the alarm, BUT, it still felt out of character, like he still should have sent someone, either Rattrap or Cheetor to investigate.

Also, the art doesn't bother me. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. And I'm enjoying this series enough that I'm willing to wade through the slow buildup. Hell, I've stayed with lesser TF series than this for far longer (the last BW comics to come out comes to mind). So yeah, I'm still in. I wanna see where this goes.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Shockwave wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:32 pm So yeah, I'm still in. I wanna see where this goes.
Oh, I'm still in. It just feels more like an addiction than a hobby.

Also, I like how they're writing Tarantulas.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Issue 4 - I hate to do it, but I'm going to be negative about this issue and about the series in general, because it is taking forever for the plot to go anywhere. Everything that happened in issue 4 could have taken place in a page or two. I get what's happening, and it's a common problem with comic book writers: they think in terms of tv and movies when it comes to visual storytelling, and they pace accordingly. But comics are different. All of this is very apparent when comparing this issue to the three issues of Ruckley-written Transformers which are packed with characters and dialogue and action. It literally took me over twice as long to read each one of them as it did this issue, which I read and then thought "that's it?"

The Maximals are all clueless and don't seem to realize just what a dire situation they're in, and apart from Nyx they all feel like afterthoughts to the plot. The Predacons have been front and center so far, which is fine, but I'd like to see a better balancing of action among the cast, with everyone given something to do. I don't know, I'm not inclined to drop the book because I still want to see if they do something different and interesting, but this retelling of Beast Wars is not living up to its potential at all. It's fairly disappointing, honestly.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Yeah, this issue doesn't amount to much actually happening. All of it could have easily been condensed into issue 3.

Dinobot's characterization in this comic continues to bother me. He completely lacks any of the Predacon bravado he had in the cartoon. The way it comes off, it's like he already was a Maximal but, for some reason that doesn't fit this personality, was with the Predacons to begin with... He's basically Silverbolt. It just doesn't make sense for Dinobot.

One point of interest for this issue...
Spoiler
Cheetor discovers a message sent from the Axalon to the Predacon Technolab shortly before they left Cybertron, which apparently erased itself, raising Cheetor's suspicions. Rhinox brushes it off though, citing they're supposed to share information with the Predacons under the Pax Cybertronia and repairs they've been making could have accidently erased it... I guess Cheetor is going to be relegated to the role of the character who points out the obvious no one listen to, since he got shut down for being concerned about Nyx in the previous issue as well. I don't understand why they're making the Maximals, save for Cheetor, so oblivious.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I gave up on this series with issue 1, and have little reason to regret that.
Spoiler
The mystery message was probably about Rampage being on the Axalon.

The Maximals would be obligated to share information (as Rhinox argued). But, they would want information about Rampage (a lab accident to be kept on the downlow.

As for Cheetor, this comic reads like a fanfic. The writer probably liked Cheetor when he was a kid.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:16 am I gave up on this series with issue 1, and have little reason to regret that.
Spoiler
The mystery message was probably about Rampage being on the Axalon.

The Maximals would be obligated to share information (as Rhinox argued). But, they would want information about Rampage (a lab accident to be kept on the downlow.

As for Cheetor, this comic reads like a fanfic. The writer probably liked Cheetor when he was a kid.
I really wouldn't say the comic reads like fanfic just because Cheetor was the only sensible one to voice concerns about Nyx missing and the mystery message. Nyx seems to have taken over the role he had in the cartoon, making Cheetor actually feel like there's nothing for him to do as a character, which has been a criticism people have had of the story.