Beast Wars (2021) ongoing series

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
andersonh1

Re: Beast Wars (2021) ongoing series

Post by andersonh1 »

Beast Wars #2
Just to get this out of the way, my main complaint with this series is that it's not differentiating itself enough from the tv series yet. Everything feels far too familiar. The changes being made, of having the Vok appear early and having Megatron working to decode the disk early rather than simply discarding it for a season, are subtle and not really going in new directions so much as accellerating developments I already expect. On the other hand, I like that Dinobot has not yet broken from the Predacons, and that he's not quite so "this is a good day to die" in attitude. But then it's back to being familiar, only it's Nyx captured and at the mercy of Tarantulus rather than Cheetor. If I hadn't seen so much of this before, I'd like it more than I do.

I like the art. I like the simplicity of it, and the fact that unlike the plot, it's very different from the tv series. I know with my griping it sounds like I don't enjoy the book, but I do. I just feel it really needs to diverge from the tv plotlines sooner rather than later to truly be its own iteration of Beast Wars. I like it, I want to like it more. But I'm more than willing to stick around and see if and how they do that.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Maybe it's a case of getting the important beats out of the way early to do other stuff later on. Like having a new Superman comic only spend one page on his origin. Everyone already knows that bit, you don't need to spend a lot of time on it. And accelerating some of the important stuff from the cartoon might IDW's way of doing that with this.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:21 pm Maybe it's a case of getting the important beats out of the way early to do other stuff later on. Like having a new Superman comic only spend one page on his origin. Everyone already knows that bit, you don't need to spend a lot of time on it. And accelerating some of the important stuff from the cartoon might IDW's way of doing that with this.
I'm fine with that if that's the route they're taking.

Your Superman reference made me think of the "Superman and Lois" series that I've been commenting on over in the TV thread where they go through his traditional origin, going to Metropolis, meeting Lois and getting married and having a family in about five minutes so that the series can start with the sons as teenagers. But I expect Beast Wars can't assume that all the readers know the story as well as most people probably know the basics about Superman, so they probably can't be as economical with the origin story, they need to take a little more time to establish what's going on.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

andersonh1 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:35 pm
Shockwave wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:21 pm Maybe it's a case of getting the important beats out of the way early to do other stuff later on. Like having a new Superman comic only spend one page on his origin. Everyone already knows that bit, you don't need to spend a lot of time on it. And accelerating some of the important stuff from the cartoon might IDW's way of doing that with this.
I'm fine with that if that's the route they're taking.

Your Superman reference made me think of the "Superman and Lois" series that I've been commenting on over in the TV thread where they go through his traditional origin, going to Metropolis, meeting Lois and getting married and having a family in about five minutes so that the series can start with the sons as teenagers. But I expect Beast Wars can't assume that all the readers know the story as well as most people probably know the basics about Superman, so they probably can't be as economical with the origin story, they need to take a little more time to establish what's going on.
I think you're right. There's a lot to cover for people that might not be familiar with it. The Vok didn't show up until season 2 and the golden disk was also a highlight of seasons 2-3. So I kind do think they're going for a really truncated run through of all the important beats of the show. What really has me optimistic for this series is the fact that there are things that are different and is clearly meant to not be the same continuity as the cartoon.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

So this is new, or at least I hadn't heard it before. This series is only going to be 12 issues according to the Amazon pre-order. That's disappointing.

https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Bea ... 1684058589
Celebrate 25 years of Beast Wars! The Maximals and the Predacons are back in this all-new series.

"In the beginning came the beasts, and all that creeps, crawls and flies--but nature lies, they're robots in disguise!" With this one line a whole new generation of Transformers toys and fans were created. Now, 25 years later, an all-new series brings your favorite characters back!

In the future, the planet Cybertron belongs to the scientific-minded Maximals and the action-oriented Predacons! When a crew of Predacons, led by the successor to the Megatron name, steal a golden disk and a ship capable of traveling through time, it's up to Optimus Primal and his Maximal crew--Rattrap, Rhinox, Cheetor, and new character Nyx--to catch them!

Volume 1 collects issues #1-6 of the 12-issue series.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm sure they'll keep it going if it sells well enough.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Beast Wars #3

Megatron begins interrogating Nyx, and threatens her with torture from Tarantulas if she doesn't answer his questions. Nyx recognizes the name, and calls Tarantulas a butcher. Yet, later on, she says that barely anyone remembers the original Megatron. So... Tarantulas is more famous on Cybertron than G1 Megatron? That's...strange. Meanwhile, Cheetor is concerned Nyx hasn't returned to the Axalon. But Optimus assures him that she probably just lost track of time.... On an unknown, strange alien world? With the Predacons still probably still around? I think Optimus should be a little more concerned than he is here... But Optimus says once they have daylight they'll go looking for her.

Nyx ultimately doesn't answer the Predacon's questions, and after saying no one will remember Megatron, he turns the torture device up to the highest level, to Dinobot's protests. Tarantulas offers that Nyx's refusal to answer must mean she has comrades to protect. Megatron rewards Tarantulas with deciding her fate, and he decides to test his new transformation lock device on her. Unlike in the show, it traps her in robot mode, so the Predacons watch as Nyx runs around to escape (as the Predacons take pot shots) while suffering from energon radiation build up. Dinobot ends up destroying the device, saving Nyx allowing her to transform to beast mode, and then locks the rest of the Predacons in the ship when he enacts a security lockdown.

So... I thought this issue would be sorta like "The Web", only with Nyx in place of Cheetor. This would have given us some sorely needed character development to a brand new character. Instead... It ends up being more of a Dinobot issue, because he feels torture of an enemy is dishonorable, as it doesn't give them a fighting chance to defend themselves. It doesn't really make sense. Tarantulas is established here to have a reputation as a "butcher" on Cybertron for crying out loud. Why would Dinobot align himself with this crew in the first place, knowing the type of Predacons they are, when it goes against his code of honor? The cartoon, for as quick as his expulsion was, had more depth. And that's another thing... Dinobot didn't choose to leave in the cartoon, he was forced to leave. Him choosing to leave the Predacons changes the characters motivations more than I think they realize. Nyx really doesn't contribute anything to this story, other than being held captive. The Maximal's, other than Cheetor, not being concerned about Nyx missing I don't find realistic. On an unknown, alien world, with enemies probably out there somewhere... The Maximals should be concerned about her.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Sparky Prime wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:15 pm Beast Wars #3
The cartoon, for as quick as his expulsion was, had more depth. And that's another thing... Dinobot didn't choose to leave in the cartoon, he was forced to leave. Him choosing to leave the Predacons changes the characters motivations more than I think they realize.
It really does, and... it really does. show Dinobot aligns with the Maximals out of necessity. Comic Dinobot leaving on his own changes everything.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Oh God, I... I like Beast Wars so much, but...

But this comic... it hurts me. I think it's just so... so bad...

But it's the only new BW content.

Why?

Why IDW?

WHY?!?!?!

:cry:
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Finally got over to the comic book shop to pick up issue 3. Since my main complaint with the series so far has been that it hews too closely to the tv show, I can't really complain when Dinobot's defection from the cause has a mostly different reason (though he still calls Megatron an incompetent leader, if not in those exact words). His dislike of the more brutal actions of his fellow Predacons has been telegraphed since the first issue, so this doesn't come out of nowhere.

On the other hand, Optimus Primal's lack of concern for Nyx seems very out of character, with Cheetor of all people more concerned than Primal. That just strikes me as wrong for both characters.

I like it, but the pace still feels glacial. It'll probably be great when we have all the chapters of the story to read at once.