Masterpiece Optimus Primal

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Masterpiece Optimus Primal

Post by Sparky Prime »

TFW2005 has posted an image from a Japanese magazine showing a computer render and control art for the upcoming Masterpiece Optimus Primal. Looking forward to seeing the actual physical toy with how this render looks. Really looks as close to cartoon accurate as a toy could be.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Masterpiece Optimus Primal

Post by JediTricks »

It also looks fairly similar to the original Ultra figure in technical layout, so I suspect it'll just have nicer sculpting and paint, and be smaller.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

The first prototype images have been released thanks to Figure King magazine. The images also shows some features of the figure, including different expressions for the gorilla mode face, and light up eyes in robot mode.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I shouldn't want this...but it's Ultra Primal.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

That looks nice, but I am not in love with the lack of sculpted detail. My guess is they're going for a painted detail to match the CGI of the show. The robot mode sculpt looks really good, the beast mode looks only fair due also to the gaps. They sure do know how to pry cash from our cold hands. ;)
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

The first painted figure of Masterpiece Optimus Primal has been revealed at Wonder Festival.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

TFW2005 has posted official stock photos of MP Optimus Primal.

Amazing looking figure. Just wish they gave us something to give us a sense of the scale for this figure...
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

The $100 price tag is ridiculous at any size. AE has it for $70-something, but even that's pretty harsh when seeing the back of the beast mode legs, and the hinges, and weird things almost everywhere.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

"Weird things almost everywhere"? I can't say I see what you mean by that. Looks incredibly accurate to the animation model to me. Granted there is the back of the legs showing some robot parts in his beast mode, but honestly I'm not bothered by it. It's a huge improvement over the original.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Sparky Prime wrote:"Weird things almost everywhere"? I can't say I see what you mean by that. Looks incredibly accurate to the animation model to me. Granted there is the back of the legs showing some robot parts in his beast mode, but honestly I'm not bothered by it. It's a huge improvement over the original.
Robot mode elbows showing in beast mode, seams, cut-outs, screws, and whatever the hell is going on with the figure's back: http://news.tfw2005.com/wp-content/uplo ... /04/16.jpg

The oddity of the in-use elbow joint is rough as well:
http://news.tfw2005.com/wp-content/uplo ... /04/17.jpg

At $50 I could see it on an MP, but they want $100, that's a lot of coin.