Masterpiece Optimus Primal

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Masterpiece Optimus Primal

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:Robot mode elbows showing in beast mode, seams, cut-outs, screws, and whatever the hell is going on with the figure's back
Seams, cut-outs and screws is pretty standard for Transformers toys to have, even for Masterpiece figures... For them to actually be able to transform you can't hide absolutely all of that. It's even more difficult for the Beast Wars character's whose forms are supposed to look organic, but I think it's perfectly understandable they'd do the best they could for a toy. All in all, this version of Optimus is a huge improvement over the original Ultra class figure, and very much deserving the title Masterpiece with how well it is able to replicate the animation models, for a toy. I think it looks like it's worth the $100 price tag personally. Although, I would still like to know the scale of this figure.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Some Figure King scans finally gives us an idea of how big MP Primal is. They show him next to Generations Rhinox and Rattrap, showing Primal to be about a head taller than the Voyager class Rhinox in robot mode.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Wow. Voyager sized for $100? Nope.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:Wow. Voyager sized for $100? Nope.
Well no, he's somewhat larger than a Voyager. I figure that should put him at about the same scale as the Masterpiece Autobot cars which generally go for $80-$100 as well.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

The Masterpiece cars list for around $65 and usually sell for 10 to 15% less. Tracks was 7500 yen at list, Hot Rod 8000 yen, Road Rage 7000, Wheeljack and Exhaust were each 6500. 12,000 yen for Optimus is steep (and the yen is gaining, so he's up to $108) for the size and relative lack of complexity in the design, which is probably why they added a light-up feature.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

BBTS has MP Ratchet with coin at 99.99. Others of the same scale are listed at 79-89. I guess it just depends where you shop. Like with Shockwave, BBTS has him for 159.99, but I got mine from ami-ami for a total of 137 shipped.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:The Masterpiece cars list for around $65 and usually sell for 10 to 15% less. Tracks was 7500 yen at list, Hot Rod 8000 yen, Road Rage 7000, Wheeljack and Exhaust were each 6500. 12,000 yen for Optimus is steep (and the yen is gaining, so he's up to $108) for the size and relative lack of complexity in the design, which is probably why they added a light-up feature.
Dunno what stores you're looking at, but I haven't seen them listed below $70. Like Shockwave said, on BBTS they've got Ironhide and Ratchet listed at $89.99 or $99.99 that come with a collectors coin. Tracks is listed at $79.99 or $87.99 for the collectors coin. Road Rage is $74.99 and $82.99 for the collectors coin. Even Bumblebee (with the exception of the red and gold versions for some reason) is listed at $74.99 and he's the smallest Masterpiece figure. $75-100 is pretty standard for the MP Autobot cars on the online stores I know of. BBTS has MP Optimus Primal listed at $119.99 and $127.99 for a version that comes with a die-cast mace weapon like the original Ultra class toy. So for the scale, and the features the Autobot cars don't have, that price sounds about right to me...
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Sparky Prime wrote:
JediTricks wrote:The Masterpiece cars list for around $65 and usually sell for 10 to 15% less. Tracks was 7500 yen at list, Hot Rod 8000 yen, Road Rage 7000, Wheeljack and Exhaust were each 6500. 12,000 yen for Optimus is steep (and the yen is gaining, so he's up to $108) for the size and relative lack of complexity in the design, which is probably why they added a light-up feature.
Dunno what stores you're looking at, but I haven't seen them listed below $70. Like Shockwave said, on BBTS they've got Ironhide and Ratchet listed at $89.99 or $99.99 that come with a collectors coin. Tracks is listed at $79.99 or $87.99 for the collectors coin. Road Rage is $74.99 and $82.99 for the collectors coin. Even Bumblebee (with the exception of the red and gold versions for some reason) is listed at $74.99 and he's the smallest Masterpiece figure. $75-100 is pretty standard for the MP Autobot cars on the online stores I know of. BBTS has MP Optimus Primal listed at $119.99 and $127.99 for a version that comes with a die-cast mace weapon like the original Ultra class toy. So for the scale, and the features the Autobot cars don't have, that price sounds about right to me...
I am looking at list prices on Anime-Export and HLJ, and doing so in Yen. List price is the MSRP.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:I am looking at list prices on Anime-Export and HLJ, and doing so in Yen. List price is the MSRP.
So would that be the prices for them in Japan, without the cost of importing to the United States included? Because, again, other sites that are US based have the prices set higher than that.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

That would explain the difference.

I dunno, for me, looking at ~$120.00, I'm comparing that to the US TRU retail price for MP-10 and... yeah, I think MP-10 is more toy for the price. I don't see Primal having $120 worth of value. But then, I could probably say that for most of the MP figures, which is probably why I have so few of them.