Sunstreaker & Sideswipe Question

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
badwolf
Minibot

Sunstreaker & Sideswipe Question

Post by badwolf »

Sunstreaker & Sideswipe have always been my 2 favorite transformers. Streaker was the 1st transformer I ever bought. I have always wondered what makes them brothers? Maybe it's a dumb question. If it was because they looked alike or had the same form then wouldn't all the seekers be brothers or Prowl & Bluestreek or even Ironhide & Ratchet be twins as well? Maybe I'm to lazy to dig around online but if someone has the answer or a link I'd appreciate it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Sunstreaker & Sideswipe Question

Post by Dominic »

We actually got to talking about this in another thread.

My theory is that TFs can be "brothers" if they have similar lines of code in their programming or complimentary engineering. Possibly, their parts were forged in the same batch. I dunno.

Dom
badwolf
Minibot

Post by badwolf »

Thanks Dom!

I actually started talking with a friend about this after I posted & his comment was that they were twin sparks, that their sparks were created at the same time unlike other TFs.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

badwolf wrote:I actually started talking with a friend about this after I posted & his comment was that they were twin sparks, that their sparks were created at the same time unlike other TFs.
Dreamwave's MTMTE series said something along those lines... When they explained Transformer cloning, they said there is an occasional natural splitting of a spark, resulting in twin sparks such as Sunstreaker and Sideswipe. TF cloning would then be an artificial version of this process.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

That's not a bad idea, actually.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:We actually got to talking about this in another thread.

My theory is that TFs can be "brothers" if they have similar lines of code in their programming or complimentary engineering. Possibly, their parts were forged in the same batch. I dunno.

Dom
Beast Wars supports this, actually. Recall that Cheetor and Airazor enjoyed a 'sibling' relationship on account of Airazor's protoform borrowing a chip and some programming from Cheetor.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Where was this mentioned?

Mind, I haven't seen BW in years, but I'd think such a thing would come up more often.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Onslaught Six wrote:Where was this mentioned?

Mind, I haven't seen BW in years, but I'd think such a thing would come up more often.
Well, the sibling relationship never actually came up in-show. It was one of those things that got mentioned endlessly in ancillary profiles and so forth.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

It's really because Hasbro was using molds from different Diaclone years, Sideswipe and Sunstreaker were both Diaclone but different years of the line meant to be different mechs, yet their alt modes were both based on the Lamborghini Countach. It's as cheesy... I mean "as simple" as that.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

In AirRazor's first appearance she knows Rhinox before he ever introduces himself. They never explain exactly how, but it's widely regarded that it's due to using parts from Cheetor. That's probably also the reason she's a man in the japanese version. They used man parts on her!! But aside from that one minor instance, there doesn't seem to be much of any relationship between she and Cheetor.

As for Sideswipe and Sunstreaker being twin brothers, I always found it amusing that they were brothers despite different transformations, different robot modes, and different heads, while all the Seekers aren't despite all looking exactly alike.