War Within (and general Dreamwave) thoughts

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

War Within (and general Dreamwave) thoughts

Post by Dominic »

As has been pointed out by many people over the years, the DW G1 comics did not age well.

The initial positive response was due in part to nostalgia as well as a hunger among fans for new TF comics. (Remember, at that point, it had been the better part of a decade since TF comics were available at mass market and BotCon comics were not commonly solicitied through Diamond.)

I recently flipped through WWI again. And, I think the same principle applies, if to a lesser extent.

"War Within" is not bad. And, there are a few genuinely good moments. (I still count issue zero as 8 of the best comic pages I have seen.) But, after re-flipping through it, I see just how much Don Figueroa was carrying that book. Figueroa's art still holds up. His design work is clean unto itself. And, it gracefully updates original designs while keeping them recognizable.

Has anyone else noticed this about WWI or other DW comics?

Dom
-has yet to crack open the sourcebook.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: War Within (and general Dreamwave) thoughts

Post by Ursus mellifera »

I'll have to re-read it the next chance I get.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Eh... it's hard to say. They're very much written in a way that would allow them to fit in the cartoon universe with a little creative leeway here and there. We even see the scene at Sherman Dam from MTMTE in the original War Within. So for me it's hard to put them at a higher level of storytelling, even though things were starting to improve in some respects with the second miniseries and the ongoing.

In what way do you feel that they haven't aged well?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

andersonh1 wrote:Eh... it's hard to say. They're very much written in a way that would allow them to fit in the cartoon universe with a little creative leeway here and there. We even see the scene at Sherman Dam from MTMTE in the original War Within. So for me it's hard to put them at a higher level of storytelling, even though things were starting to improve in some respects with the second miniseries and the ongoing.

In what way do you feel that they haven't aged well?
That was part of what pissed me off about DW--it was not clean 'at all.' It took place is this kind-of-but-not-really G1 cartoon universe. It's the same thing BW did, but with BW the callbacks were vague enough that they never mattered. IDW cleaned the slate and said, "This is how it happened."
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am not talking about context. I am just talking about the quality of the comics.

It is not that I suddenly hate "War Within". But, I just realized how much Figueroa's art, (which I have always appreciated), was actually carrying the series.

Dom
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Dominic wrote:It is not that I suddenly hate "War Within". But, I just realized how much Figueroa's art, (which I have always appreciated), was actually carrying the series.
I know he's a big part of why I read it. War Within is awfully perty.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

As for whether it's held up, I think that's more style preferrences than anything else. Today's comics are drawn in a different style while most of DW was done anime style so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Personnally I think it's held up rather well, all of my issues are still intact.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am not knocking the art. I am knocking the writing. :)

Seriously, I am wondering if anybody else has noticed that "War Within" seems to be carried more by the art than one might have initially thought.

Dom
-still stares at pages in this book.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I'll be honest: I never read the damn thing. It seemed like a cheap "Let's look at how Don redesigns things that we already have designs for!" book. I passed on it then and I'd pass on it now.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Onslaught Six wrote:I'll be honest: I never read the damn thing. It seemed like a cheap "Let's look at how Don redesigns things that we already have designs for!" book. I passed on it then and I'd pass on it now.
I think I got my copies free from Dom.