War Within (and general Dreamwave) thoughts

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: War Within (and general Dreamwave) thoughts

Post by Sparky Prime »

Onslaught Six wrote:I'll be honest: I never read the damn thing. It seemed like a cheap "Let's look at how Don redesigns things that we already have designs for!" book. I passed on it then and I'd pass on it now.
Except we never had Cybertronian designs for the G1 characters before. The G1 cartoon used their Earth robot appearances, and only a few were shown with a Cybertonian vehicle mode.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

O6 is saying that he saw it as a cheap excuse to have Cybertronian modes.

Of course, Figueroa's art made those modes worthy it. And, the story still holds up, even it it was carried more by the art than I initially thought it was.

Dom
-still wants *good* War Within toys.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:As for whether it's held up, I think that's more style preferrences than anything else. Today's comics are drawn in a different style while most of DW was done anime style so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Personnally I think it's held up rather well, all of my issues are still intact.
Heh, 'anime-style', that's cute. DW's art wasn't 'anime-style' any more than Marvel Mangaverse is 'anime-style'. Yeah, WW was a nice book held higher by excellent art, but part of that excellence was not having to stare at Pat Lee-style blobby, dead-faced, glassy-eyed peoploids.

Comparison between styles is fair as long as you're just comparing quality (which is admittedly touchily subjective with stuff like art). Shitty art is still shitty art, and as nice as some issues looked, DW also had other issues that featured unbelievably shitty art. There was the whole 'house style' fiasco that even brought down Wildman's stuff in WWv2, or what about that legendary scene from the end of issue 4 of their first G1 series? You know the one, everyone does:

Hell, half the fun of getting the MTMTE compilations was going through them and just laughing at most of the character art in there.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Dominic wrote: -still wants *good* War Within toys.
At least there's Voyager Cybertron Starscream. Man, it's really surprising that mold didn't get reused as more of the Seekers. Would've looked nice as Skywarp or Thundercracker. The Dirge they made out of it is pretty decent, anyway.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

BWprowl wrote:
Shockwave wrote:As for whether it's held up, I think that's more style preferrences than anything else. Today's comics are drawn in a different style while most of DW was done anime style so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Personnally I think it's held up rather well, all of my issues are still intact.
Heh, 'anime-style', that's cute. DW's art wasn't 'anime-style' any more than Marvel Mangaverse is 'anime-style'. .
The other problem with this is the generalization "anime style". What anime? It's such a broad genre even among Japanese Anime that it's really not a good term to use as a description of a particular art style. I only quoted it because that's how Pat Lee described that the style is what he was going for, but yeah, it's still a bad description.

Shockwave
-Wonders which Japanese Anime Pat Lee was trying to rip off.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

BWprowl wrote:or what about that legendary scene from the end of issue 4 of their first G1 series? You know the one, everyone does:
I still remember the first time I read that issue... I thought the reason they were all looking up with what appears to be surprised expressions was because there was a Cybertronian ship or something descending on the city. But then that was the last page with no reveal of what they were all seemingly looking at.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I especially like that that page focuses on the shocked expressions of such notable characters as Optimus Prime, Megatron, and Trailbreaker.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Not Trailbreaker! If Trailbreaker's shocked, you KNOW shit's on.

I love Megatron's expression there. It's like he thinks Devastator is hot.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Gomess wrote:Not Trailbreaker! If Trailbreaker's shocked, you KNOW shit's on.

I love Megatron's expression there. It's like he thinks Devastator is hot.
I was just thinking that.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Ursus mellifera wrote:
Gomess wrote:Not Trailbreaker! If Trailbreaker's shocked, you KNOW shit's on. I love Megatron's expression there. It's like he thinks Devastator is hot.
I was just thinking that.
Right? He's not in full-blown AHAHAHA GO FOR IT DEVASTATOR mode, nor is he smirking reservedly. He's got this weird paralysed half-open-mouthed admiration thing going on. Like, "God... damn... Devastator looks good."
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did