G2 comic series - retro review thread

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
andersonh1

Re: G2 comic series - retro review thread

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote:
And as far as G2 goes, there's always Alignment as a possible future for that series, though there were things about that story I didn't care for.
Sort of back on topic: What did you not like about "Allignment"?
I realize that it was set considerably in the future, but I was irritated that the Autobot/Decepticon alliance wasn't explored. And in the end, Megatron is resurrected AGAIN to lead the Decepticons... it's no wonder they can't win, they're bound to one leader and one course of action. So that was a bit stale.

That's not to say that the story didn't have merit. It did, and it was interesting to see what all the Cybertron-ized worlds were actually for as part of the Liege Maximo's grand scheme. And I think the story led into the Beast Wars era with Maximals and Predacons on the horizon, if I remember right, so it's a rare piece of fiction set in the 300 year gap.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I went hunting for this thread since I just bought G2 in those two Titan collected editions. I remember the discussion pretty well, but just to show you how time goes by faster than you think, I had no idea it was back in 2009 that I last read this series. It only seemed like a couple of years ago. Seriously, where does the time go?

One thing I think I'll post some thoughts on, once I've had time to think about it, is why I react differently to the Prime/Megatron alliance here compared with Autobot Megatron over in MTMTE. In that book I loathe what's been done with the character, while in G2 I really enjoy the Prime/Megatron alliance. True, Megatron is not repentant in G2, and it's an alliance of necessity, so maybe that accounts for it. Megatron remains entirely in character while still being on the side of the Autobots, and he and Prime's personalities really compliment each other well.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The thing to keep in mind is that Marvel Megatron is not IDW Megatron.

IDW Megatron is more or less consistent with the character outlined in "Origins". In "More than Meets the Eye", he is getting a chance at redemption. (One might argue that he does not deserve that chance. But, that question shadows more than one page of "More than Meets the Eye".)

In G2, Megatron is arguably more out of character. In the US and UK comics, G1 Megatron was a few steps above being a mindless beast. Then, in G2, Megatron becomes a calm and rational bad guy.