G2 comic series - retro review thread

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
andersonh1

Re: G2 comic series - retro review thread

Post by andersonh1 »

138 Scourge wrote:I enjoy Furman's note in the letter column in issue 12. I hope I'm remembering it right, I wanna say that it was basically "Okay, remember when I said 'For me, personally, it never ends!'? Yeah, I waaaaayyyy did not mean that like you guys do. So now, for me, it's ended, okay?"
It's amusing that Optimus Prime's last words in the series are "Deep in my heart I know, IT NEVER ENDS!" :lol:
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Onslaught Six wrote:Yeah, Schmidt implied that between all the G1 stuff they're doing and the Movie books, there's just not any 'room' for any other books right now. And the DW stuff is entirely off-limits legally, apparently.

Plus, the last time IDW tried to pick up on an existing series...well, we got The Gathering.

Good point about "The Gathering".

When did it come out that IDW plots were off limits? This seems odd, given all of the reprints.

Dom
-these threads never end. 0_o
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:Yeah, Schmidt implied that between all the G1 stuff they're doing and the Movie books, there's just not any 'room' for any other books right now. And the DW stuff is entirely off-limits legally, apparently.

Plus, the last time IDW tried to pick up on an existing series...well, we got The Gathering.

Good point about "The Gathering".

When did it come out that IDW plots were off limits? This seems odd, given all of the reprints.

Dom
-these threads never end. 0_o
Do you mean the dreamwave issues? I think only the unfinished or possibly the unpaid-for work is off limits. Which means the second half of War Within 3 and the rest of the Energon storyline is unlikely to ever see the light of day.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

It was, I believe, in that same Schmidt interview that we're discussing in the ongoing thread, and is linked on the front page. (Hooray, it's useful!)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Hmmmm....I wonder if "somebody" might be able to write an appropriate conclusion to those stories, based on what they "think" might have happened.

Joking aside, I would not mind seeing some kind of follow-up, maybe with Furman working from old, or even half-remembered, notes.

Dom
-that might be legal, depending on presentation.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Onslaught Six wrote:It was, I believe, in that same Schmidt interview that we're discussing in the ongoing thread, and is linked on the front page. (Hooray, it's useful!)
Yeah, what was it he said? Something about the records not all being available? He doesn't get more specific, but I'm assuming he's talking about records of who did what work in the unfinished issues, and who was supposed to be paid, or perhaps even where the physical art actually is. I tend to think the art is missing since the reprint compilations look like someone scanned in the printed comics and reprinted them rather than going back to the original plates. But it's likely that until everyone who has a claim on the art and stories has had their day in court that the unfinished stuff will stay tied up and inaccessible.

Furman has been asked about this, and he said he's moved on in terms of being interested in the WW story, but that he wouldn't mind finishing up the Energon storyline if give a chance. And as far as G2 goes, there's always Alignment as a possible future for that series, though there were things about that story I didn't care for.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I would rather, at this point, that G2 never be continued the way Beast Wars was. At best, they can remake a new G2-esque story that retells many of the same elements, and I'd be happy with that.

The big thing with G2, and BM has this same problem, is that it actually introduces some elements into the TF universe that I really don't dig. I was as unhappy as everyone else at Big Happy Sunny Fields Cybertron at the end of BM, but the rest of the show was so awesome that it didn't matter--I could overlook that and enjoy the show for what it was. The same with G2's budding concept, ill-explained as it is. For example, that one generic G2 guy is said to be an offspring of Onslaught's, but Onslaught is implied to be created on Earth in the mid-80s alongside the Stunticons and such.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

There isn't much about G2 that I don't like, but I'm glad it's a finite, self-contained storyline. I worry that it would have gone on and fizzled out or ended on a cliffhanger (which it really did anyway) or just lost the quality. As it is, the story has a clear start and finish, and maintains generally high quality throughout while working with some original ideas. I wouldn't mind seeing a story or two set in that universe, but I wouldn't want a full-scale sequel.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Yeeesss...Something properly doing what 86 and I have wanted for years, post-apocalyptic nuclear war Earth with Pyro and Skyquake and Clench and Thunderclash, and the reason they're all neon is because it's awesome energon armour. :P
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I recall hearing that there were unpaid couriers when DW failed. It is possible that some original art is sitting in a wharehouse somewhere. (I could be wrong. But, it would make some sense.)

I am curiuos to see where "Energon" was going. It was not great. But the story ended so abruptly that some kind of ending would be nice.
And as far as G2 goes, there's always Alignment as a possible future for that series, though there were things about that story I didn't care for.
Sort of back on topic: What did you not like about "Allignment"?

Dom
-also wondering if IDW will do comprehensive "GI Joe" reprints.