MP figure reviews

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: MP figure reviews

Post by Shockwave »

A couple of remaining thoughts on MP Shockwave. After having him for the better part of a week, I still really like him. Buuuuuut. I have Alternators Shockblast at work. Which is colored more like the original toy. When ever I have them next to each other, I just wind up wishing that the MP version was darker. Also, I'm pretty sure that MP Shockwave is the same size as the G1 figure. I don't have an actual G1 Shockwave to compare it to so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. These aren't reasons to skip the figure and I certainly don't regret buying him, and honestly, if these are the only complaints I have that's really not bad.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

The coloring, I wouldn't call mine "bright", it's not a blast of color the way the orange on Hot Rod is. It's lighter than it should be though, and this is where I think Takara is too slavish to the G1 cartoon. By constantly trying to tie these MPs into the cartoon, they remove sculpted detail, they alter colors, they focus on little oddities that they turn into significant elements that are questionable.

Shockwave in alt mode is fun, but there are a lot of screw holes facing up. Other than that, he still has a lot of charm. Now I have to decide if I'm going to take the batteries back out so they don't leak, or enjoy the figure's best feature. I had some friends over and the lights were the part that impressed the most, both modes.

Said friend also set down Hot Rod only to have him fall down, his hips aren't as tight in some poses as they seem. Luckily no damage.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

MP Soundwave. Not sure if I posted this in the hauls thread, but I've had him for a couple of months now and... It's a mixed bag.

Soundwave: Soundwave himself is awesome. Very well detailed and lots of features make for a fun toy that looks and feels great. The added feature of being able to hold up to three cassettes at once is awesome.

The cassettes: This is where this set fails. The tail fins on Laserbeak and Buzzsaw are easily broken. I bought my set used, and Laserbeak's right fin was already broken and glued back on. Which promptly broke again as soon as I tried to transform it. Ravage is even worse. he was fine when I got him, but in the two months since he wound up breaking in no less than three places, two which render him untransformable. Frenzy and Rumble are pretty sturdy unto themselves, but Rumble (the red one), one of his weapons is about to break. The barrels of the guns are tiny rods so they don't have much stress tolerances.

Overall, I do like this set, and I have since preordered the rerelease from BBTS (mine was missing some accessories and has paint and chrome wear) so I do look forward to have a new version of this set, but you can bet I'll be extra careful when handling the cassettes.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

MP-36 Megatron: I am loving this figure. For the most part. There are a few issues I have with it, but none of them are deal breakers. Especially considering that, unlike other figures in the MP line, this one is not going to see a US release. If you want a Megatron that looks like the cartoon model, it does not get better than this. The detail on this figure is amazing. The lower chest "buttons" are clear plastic, all in different colors, the head has different faces that can be swapped out. Underneath the face is the schematic detail that was shown when Megatron was scanned by Unicron in the '86 movie. Articulation is what you would expect from the MP line, basically if it's a pose that humans can take, Megs can do it too. Gun mode is also pretty much what you would expect, except that it's a cartoonishly oversized version of the alt mode (to the point that, even without orange plugs I doubt anyone would mistake this for a real weapon). It really is a great figure and I'm glad I got him, buuuuuuut as I said above, there are some issues. First, the orange plug. I got this from BBTS, who have to put these on there in order to comply with US toy law. On any other Megatron, this probably wouldn't be an issue, but the silencer has a post inside that plugs into the barrel for stability, which it cannot do with the plug in place. The other issue is the transformation itself. Megatron's transform is enormously complex and extremely panel-y. Tolerances on some pieces often feel like they are going to break rather than transform. On mine, the barrel in particular was so tight that I watched two videos on youtube and read the instructions just to make sure the part was actually supposed to move the way I was trying to move it. I eventually got it moved and it's better now, but this is a problem that seems to extend to a lot of parts of the transformation. Nothing actually did break on mine, but I didn't seem to have this issue on other MP figures. My other complaint is the Decepticon logo. They went full cartoon with this, complete with that three pointed middle bit that always annoyed me. I have a new order of reprolabels on the way so hopefully one of those will be of a size that I can put over it. I tried with the ones I have, and I have one that will fit, but that damned cartoon logo is too wide to be covered by it. I know that probably won't bother anyone else but me, but there you have it. Also, he does have a few die cast parts and the only other problem that's been reported is minor paint wear due to transformation, specifically with putting the silencer on. I've seen a lot of youtube reviewers who refuse to even fully attach it for fear of paint damage. I've put mine on twice all the way and... yeah, I guess there is a little, but not enough that's significant to me. I only really notice it if I'm specifically looking for it and even then I have to be up close to it.

So, overall I really like and recommend this figure. Sure, it has a few issue, but they're minor and none of them are deal breakers, even collectively. I really do feel this is the best way that they could have done this figure and still feel like they knocked it out of the park.

Also, he can hold the gun mode version that came with MP-10 and I think also came with Soundwave. It's pretty funny seeing him hold himself.

EDIT: A couple of things I forgot to mention: Sounds. Yeah, there's a sound chip in the fusion cannon. And it has voice clips in Japanese. It's awesome. It also has two other sound modes, shootie noises and transformation sounds. The other drawback I forgot to mention was in the legs/feet. I think this is just my copy, but the lower half is all on ratchet joints. Which is fine, but it means that it's tough to get him standing in a decent position with both feet on the same ratchet without him either looking like he's falling forward or leaning back. I somehow managed it for the moment, but yeah, that's honestly the biggest frustration for me and like I said, I'm pretty sure it's just my particular copy.

Terminal Editocity! Forgot about accessories. Yeah, there's a lot of them and they're all awesome. He comes with a total of four faces: regular frowny face, angry yelling, laughing, and battle damaged. He also comes with the battle damaged chest. The regular chest piece slides up and off so that the other one can take it's place. Both gimmicks work well and are more or less invisible while on the figure. He also comes with the lightsaber, the blaster from the movie, his energon mace with two chains, one an actual chain and the other solid molded plastic with hinge joints for posing, the control helmet from that one episode that one time, the key to Vector Sigma which is die cast and is actually a little thinner than the one that came with Prime. The fusion cannon, stock and silencer are all included and can even merge together in various ways to take the forms of the original toy. So you can have it as a cannon that Megatron stands behind, or attach the site to the silencer and then attach that to the barrel so it's over his face, and the stock can turn into a flight display stand. Yeah. It's articulated and everthing and plugs into his back. Really creative way to repurpose the accessory and get a lot more mileage out of it. The blade of the lightsaber is also detachable and can be placed in the barrel of the blaster so look like blaster fire. And that wraps it up for accessories. About the only thing he doesn't come with is Kremzeek and I'm kind of shocked they didn't include him as well. But honestly, I don't think less of it for not being included. There's still a lot there and a lot of play and display value to this figure.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Reviews on MP Megs have been pretty similar, although the paint chipping thing is enough of a worry from other stuff that I'd say it's the standout issue. I watched Peaugh transform the thing for like 20 minutes, it looks ridiculously over the top. And speaking of which, the pricetag on it is INSANITY, I couldn't dip my toe in.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:My other complaint is the Decepticon logo. They went full cartoon with this, complete with that three pointed middle bit that always annoyed me.
Huh... That's interesting. I hadn't noticed that detail on the images of the figure I'd seen online before. Nice attention to detail I guess, but little odd they went with that logo rather than the more standard Decepticon logo.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote:Reviews on MP Megs have been pretty similar, although the paint chipping thing is enough of a worry from other stuff that I'd say it's the standout issue. I watched Peaugh transform the thing for like 20 minutes, it looks ridiculously over the top. And speaking of which, the pricetag on it is INSANITY, I couldn't dip my toe in.
Yeah, that's the main complaint that I've seen as well and either mine's immune to it or it's so minor that I either don't notice or don't care (probably a bit of both). If I was noticing huge gouges or scratch marks then yeah, I'd complain too but I really don't see that. Also, yeah that transformation is enormously complex but gets easier with subsequent transformations, probably due to familiarity. And it also doesn't feel like it's going to break anymore either.
Sparky Prime wrote:
Shockwave wrote:My other complaint is the Decepticon logo. They went full cartoon with this, complete with that three pointed middle bit that always annoyed me.
Huh... That's interesting. I hadn't noticed that detail on the images of the figure I'd seen online before. Nice attention to detail I guess, but little odd they went with that logo rather than the more standard Decepticon logo.
I'm kind of surprised they didn't go the sticker options route like they did with Shockwave so that people could choose. Shockwave had stickers with the cartoon logo as well, but it wasn't automatically painted on like it is with Megs. I'm also kind of surprised they didn't included either a sticker or a separate chest piece with the original toy detail and logo.