Masterpiece Shockwave and Hot Rod 2.0

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Masterpiece Shockwave and Hot Rod 2.0

Post by Sparky Prime »

It was revealed today at a Takara exhibition, a Masterpiece version of Shockwave and a new version of Hot Rod (which doesn't transform into Rodimus Prime) is in the works. Details about the two are not yet known for sure, but it's said Shockwave will have a "flash gimmick" while Hot Rod will come with a visor and fishing rod.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Masterpiece Shockwave and Hot Rod 2.0

Post by Shockwave »

Squeeeeeee!!!!!! :D

Yeah, my inner fangirl (which I didn't even know was there) came out for a moment. We all know why and really would you have expected any less of a reaction? Seriously though, I have literally been dreaming of this moment for years.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Wow, this is serious business now. Shockwave looks really good, but I wonder what he'll transform into, he could be a gun again based on how his legs transform but that would be a big issue for import.

Roddy looks like his chest is too long, it's weird to see the character without his paint and engine block though so that might affect it.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:but I wonder what he'll transform into, he could be a gun again based on how his legs transform but that would be a big issue for import.
I wouldn't think it'd be an issue to import Shockwave with his original 'space gun' alt mode. It's realistic looking gun toys that have issues. But even then, they were still able to import MP Megatron by adding an orange cap to the barrel of the gun.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Children have been suspended from school for pointing fingers and saying "pew pew", even throwing imaginary grenades. The police this week killed a guy holding his fingers like a gun. Nerf guns are bright orange and crazy bright colors for a reason. When it comes to "toys", it has to look very much not like a gun in the blink of an eye as possible, so all dark-purple won't cut it. I just picked up a Boomco Farshot, it doesn't have an orange cap (most Nerf blasters have orange ends, but I guess Mattel doesn't worry about their versions) but it is bright red, looks like a taser.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

My parents and I lived in England in the mid 80's so most of my TFs were bought there. When we moved back to the US in 86, I took a carry on with a bunch of TFs on the plane. I had Megatron and Shockwave both in robot mode. Airline security saw Megatron and asked "Does that transform into a gun?" I said "yes" and they asked me to transform it so they could hold onto until we arrived at our destination. I also mentioned that Shockwave turned into one as well and did they want the same for him to which they replied "No". I would hope that this is the standard used for importing Shockwave but, as JT points out, things are crazier now than they were back then, so who knows?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:Children have been suspended from school for pointing fingers and saying "pew pew", even throwing imaginary grenades. The police this week killed a guy holding his fingers like a gun. Nerf guns are bright orange and crazy bright colors for a reason. When it comes to "toys", it has to look very much not like a gun in the blink of an eye as possible, so all dark-purple won't cut it. I just picked up a Boomco Farshot, it doesn't have an orange cap (most Nerf blasters have orange ends, but I guess Mattel doesn't worry about their versions) but it is bright red, looks like a taser.
Schools have become hyper sensitive to such things, but that doesn't mean that import laws have. How schools deal with those issues is completely its own thing. And police nation wide have been facing a lot of criticism for unnecessary force, especially with so many reports of unarmed kids being killed by police in recent years. Again, that's a bit of a different issue. And yes, Nerf uses the bright colors to make it easier to determine it's a toy, but then they just seem to take extra precautions by giving all of their toys the orange barrel anyway. Like you pointed out with Boomco, not every toy gun has the orange barrel, as far as I know that's only required for realistic looking toy guns. Again, that's why MP Megatron only had to have the orange cap added to be imported. Shockwave is a bit of a different story as a 'space gun'. Maybe they might have to make some slight modification to Shockwave to import him as well, although I'd have to doubt it. But either way, if all Megatron needed was the orange cap to get imported, it shouldn't be a big of a deal for Shockwave to get imported as well.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote:
JediTricks wrote:Children have been suspended from school for pointing fingers and saying "pew pew", even throwing imaginary grenades. The police this week killed a guy holding his fingers like a gun. Nerf guns are bright orange and crazy bright colors for a reason. When it comes to "toys", it has to look very much not like a gun in the blink of an eye as possible, so all dark-purple won't cut it. I just picked up a Boomco Farshot, it doesn't have an orange cap (most Nerf blasters have orange ends, but I guess Mattel doesn't worry about their versions) but it is bright red, looks like a taser.
Schools have become hyper sensitive to such things, but that doesn't mean that import laws have. How schools deal with those issues is completely its own thing. And police nation wide have been facing a lot of criticism for unnecessary force, especially with so many reports of unarmed kids being killed by police in recent years. Again, that's a bit of a different issue. And yes, Nerf uses the bright colors to make it easier to determine it's a toy, but then they just seem to take extra precautions by giving all of their toys the orange barrel anyway. Like you pointed out with Boomco, not every toy gun has the orange barrel, as far as I know that's only required for realistic looking toy guns. Again, that's why MP Megatron only had to have the orange cap added to be imported. Shockwave is a bit of a different story as a 'space gun'. Maybe they might have to make some slight modification to Shockwave to import him as well, although I'd have to doubt it. But either way, if all Megatron needed was the orange cap to get imported, it shouldn't be a big of a deal for Shockwave to get imported as well.
I don't think it will be an issue either, and to further this point, BBTS listing for MP Megatron has a five page dissertation on why it has to come with the orange plug along with the specific import law quoted in the listing as well (yes, I'm exaggerating on the five pages, but it's a lot). MP Shockwave doesn't have any of that posted on their listing so I'm assuming it's not going to be an issue and that Shockwave will not need any modification to be imported.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

It goes by state laws, because Hasbro has to sell their toys in every state. California is the big stickler, their toy laws specifically state that brick and mortar toy stores need to sell guns in bright colours, pretty sure. There will definitely be an issue with Hasbro selling Shockwave as he is. As far as importing, I think things will be a little more lenient though--BBTS et al will probably be able to sell Shockwave without much issue.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Onslaught Six wrote:It goes by state laws, because Hasbro has to sell their toys in every state. California is the big stickler, their toy laws specifically state that brick and mortar toy stores need to sell guns in bright colours, pretty sure. There will definitely be an issue with Hasbro selling Shockwave as he is. As far as importing, I think things will be a little more lenient though--BBTS et al will probably be able to sell Shockwave without much issue.
Yeah, several State laws on toy guns are even more strict than what the Federal laws are. But what we are talking about is an import of Shockwave here. Talking about the possibility of a Hasbro release though, I think Hasbro actually could do a release with out that big of an issue as well. I mean, again, Shockwave is a 'space gun' that is mostly purple. It might depend on what shade of purple they went with, but the G1 cartoon version of Shockwave was a fairly bright shade...

Speaking of colors, TFSource has tweeted images of Hot Rod and Shockwave fully colored as well as in their alt modes.