SDCC Kreo Class of '85 review

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
JediTricks
Site Admin

SDCC Kreo Class of '85 review

Post by JediTricks »

Check out my photo review of this year's SDCC-exclusive (except for the brief HasbroToyShop.com site post-convention scramble), the KREO Class of '85 boxed set.

http://www.tfviews.com/news/toysandcollectibles/2653

This one is better than last year's in a lot of ways, the style and humor really struck me hard compared to the '84 version.

The head on Cosmos is really odd, I suspect it's because the tray makes it look different than had I taken it out, but I was under a lot of pressure to get some other photo work done, so I figured just review them as a casual KREO-TF fan, which I am.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: SDCC Kreo Class of '85 review

Post by Onslaught Six »

I'm not intro Kreo/Kreons, primarily as a space and lifespan kind of deal. This is the nth line attempting "G1 characters in a cutesy style," alongside, what, Robot Heroes, the Japan/HOC PVCs (arguably), Mighty Muggs, those little things I see in Gamestop every now and then, and who knows what else. I don't have a whole lot of room left for 'regular' Transformers, let alone this kind of thing.

That said, this set looks spiffy as hell and if I did have the room for it, it'd probably be a whole lot up my alley. A few years ago it definitely would have been, with all the 80s film references and shit. (I'm kinda wearing thin on 80s references at this point and getting REALLY burnt out on it. in 2009 there wasn't all that much chrome and neon grids; now it's EVERYWHERE, but that may just be the way I see things being in the synthwave scene. Whatever.)

The Strafe/Swoop joke is actually twofold: Yes, he's apparently going by "Strafe" now but in the Marvel comics (can't remember now if it was in the US or the UK), Swoop's original name was Divebomb, and the Predacon "stole" it from him. This was a big thing, I remember!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: SDCC Kreo Class of '85 review

Post by Dominic »

This is the nth line attempting "G1 characters in a cutesy style," alongside, what, Robot Heroes, the Japan/HOC PVCs (arguably), Mighty Muggs, those little things I see in Gamestop every now and then, and who knows what else. I don't have a whole lot of room left for 'regular' Transformers, let alone this kind of thing.
HoC was not cutesy. It was arguably tertiary. But, the paint and sculpting on those figures was too good to be considered cutesy. At the time, those were the best representations of old characters that one was likely to find. A decade ago, "Masterpiece" Optimus was a rarity and nobody expected to get more figures of that quality.

But, I agree with the general point. The tertiary/cutesy crap can get tiring. Why waste space and money on Mighty Muggs when there are legitimate figures to get? (And, I say this as somebody who sort of likes Kreons. But, even so, I want legitimate figures of those characters. Where are the good Dinobot figures?)

The Strafe/Swoop joke is actually twofold: Yes, he's apparently going by "Strafe" now but in the Marvel comics (can't remember now if it was in the US or the UK), Swoop's original name was Divebomb, and the Predacon "stole" it from him. This was a big thing, I remember!
It was a UK plot-point. If I recall, it grew out of an old character sheet for Swoop, that was drafted with the name Divebomb.