Thundercracker is the best-looking seeker

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Thundercracker is the best-looking seeker

Post by Dominic »

You are harshing on Dirge.

Dirge's colours are not black and blue. They are blue and yellow. The two colours contrast nicely.

I fully agree about G2/Action Master Thundercracker though. It is beyond me why those colours have as much actual support as they do. The fact that Fun Publications was able to do an even worse job with those colours (and still sell the toy) is something that will forever remain beyond my ability to understand.

(And, yes, I customized one. But, that was about 4 years ago when I was grinding out a custom per fortnight.)
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:You are harshing on Dirge.

Dirge's colours are not black and blue. They are blue and yellow. The two colours contrast nicely.
Dirge's colors are blue, yellow, and black as I stated previously, so I don't know what you think you're correcting.

I'm not harshing on Dirge, I'm being truthful, Dirge is the worst of the G1 seekers, his colors aren't original and they aren't laid out very well. Blue and yellow CAN contrast nicely, but the yellow used has too much brown in it bordering on green, and the layout is not aesthetically balanced (which doesn't mean 50/50, it means controlled and appropriate).
I fully agree about G2/Action Master Thundercracker though. It is beyond me why those colours have as much actual support as they do. The fact that Fun Publications was able to do an even worse job with those colours (and still sell the toy) is something that will forever remain beyond my ability to understand.
The power of backwards-gazing fans. Also, there's a pretense of hipster-meets-punk about those choices I think; they're rebelling against the norm within the community while also harkening backwards.
(And, yes, I customized one. But, that was about 4 years ago when I was grinding out a custom per fortnight.)
I meant if AM TC had never existed to inspire it, you wouldn't have made that color palette choice, nobody would have. It's like a color wheel dropped mushrooms in 1980s Miami then vomited all over the figure.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

You said...
then he's the only Seeker whose primary colors of blue and black are already taken
It read like you were forgetting that Dirge is more yellow than black.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dirge's wings are light brown, not yellow.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:Dirge's wings are light brown, not yellow.
They're dark mustard yellow, that's why the animation went to regular yellow.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

I actually like G1 Skywarps toy colors the best out of all the G1 seekers colored toys.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Dirge's wings are light brown, not yellow.
They're dark mustard yellow, that's why the animation went to regular yellow.
In no place anywhere have I ever seen Dirge's wings in any shade of yellow.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Is this gonna be like the dress kind of thing?
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm wondering, did I ever post the pics I took of all three versions of Dirge that came out (the classics versions: Botcon, Henkei and Generations)? Because I have pics showing the three of them together and none of them have any yellow anywhere. I also have similar pics of the other Botcon 2007 seekers, Thundercracker and Thrust.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

I've always thought of Dirge's wings as brown, but I can see how some people could interpret versions of them as a mustard-y. They're certainly not YELLOW-yellow, but I can see how some could view them as a darker shade of a brownish-yellow, rather than the straight-up brown that I've always seen them as.

And just as my two cents, I thought Generations Dirge was super-pretty. It was easily one of my favorite uses of the mold, probably tied with Universe Starscream, which was my other favorite color scheme.

EDIT:
Scourge wrote:Is this gonna be like the dress kind of thing?
As much as that broke the land-speed record for how quickly I got sick of seeing something on the internet (previously held by modern Doctor Who fandom), it DID make obvious a very good point about how different colors code visually for different people. My dad has these little tool-drawers in his garage that he swears up and down are green, but they've always looked grey to me. Similarly, as absolutely brown as Dirge's wings look to people like ShockTrek and myself, others like JT absolutely are going to see them as yellow. That's just the way it is in some cases.